Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Irish VAT plus excise duty too.

There's no Excise Duty on audio speakers. Excise Duty is only charged on very specific classes of items.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/index.aspx

There's also no Customs Duty on importing them from the UK (or anywhere else under WTO rules):

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210106&Area=GB&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8518210000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=
    At risk of derailing the thread here but how much are we talking when VAT is added from a UK delivery? Interested in buying a full size one, have two minis at the moment.

Importing a Home Pod, you would be liable for Irish VAT, but you should not have to pay UK VAT. So the difference in price at the at the moment would be 1%.

Of course, that is if you can find someone who sells them in the UK and is willing to ship them here (and understands that they should not be charging UK VAT on exports).

If the company selling them is set up for Irish VAT (like Amazon or other large online retailers in the UK), they'd collect the Irish VAT and that's all you'd pay. Paperwork on the shipment would say that the VAT is paid, and it would sail though customs.

If they weren't, then there's a chance that Customs would stop the package and you would be asked to pay the Irish VAT before you received the delivery. An Post or the courier could charge an admin fee as well as collecting the VAT. I think An Post charge a tenner, not sure about other delivery companies.

If the UK supplier doesn't take off UK VAT, you end up paying Irish VAT on top of it. There's nothing the Irish authorities can do about that, you'd have to take it up with the UK supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

There's no Excise Duty on audio speakers. Excise Duty is only charged on very specific classes of items.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/index.aspx

There's also no Customs Duty on importing them from the UK (or anywhere else under WTO rules):

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210106&Area=GB&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8518210000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

Importing a Home Pod, you would be liable for Irish VAT, but you should not have to pay UK VAT. So the difference in price at the at the moment would be 1%.

Of course, that is if you can find someone who sells them in the UK and is willing to ship them here (and understands that they should not be charging UK VAT on exports).

If the company selling them is set up for Irish VAT (like Amazon or other large online retailers in the UK), they'd collect the Irish VAT and that's all you'd pay. Paperwork on the shipment would say that the VAT is paid, and it would sail though customs.

If they weren't, then there's a chance that Customs would stop the package and you would be asked to pay the Irish VAT before you received the delivery. An Post or the courier could charge an admin fee as well as collecting the VAT. I think An Post charge a tenner, not sure about other delivery companies.

If the UK supplier doesn't take off UK VAT, you end up paying Irish VAT on top of it. There's nothing the Irish authorities can do about that, you'd have to take it up with the UK supplier.

Great. Thanks for clarifying as I was under the wrong assumption. So it won’t be too much extra then.

I suppose the issue will arise with UK companies who do not ship here i.e. Apple UK when buying a HomePod/mini or John Lewis. You’ll pay the UK VAT and the Irish VAT too.

I suppose the issue will arise with UK companies who do not ship here i.e. Apple UK when buying a HomePod/mini or John Lewis. You’ll pay the UK VAT and the Irish VAT too.

Yeah, the main problem will be getting somewhere that ships them to Ireland in the first place. A quick look didn't reveal anyone I'd buy from (but that wasn't exhaustive). And then is trying to convince a British company not to charge you VAT - many of them are not going to be used to exporting, and they may feel it's not worth the effort to look in to how to do it properly.

Parcel Motel ins't an option any more (at least at the moment). You could still use Address Pal, but you will be charged both UK and Irish VAT. No way around that - the seller will have to charge you UK VAT since it's being shipped to the UK (first) - so to them it's not an export. You could get luck and the package will slip by without being charged Irish VAT, but I'd say An Post will be keeping a close eye on stuff coming though Address Pal, because there's an admin fee in it for them to collect VAT. Maybe there's a way of reclaiming VAT from HMRC, I'm not sure.

Also, note that Irish VAT is due to go up from 21% to 23% in March. The reduction to 21% was a temporary measure. So the price gap will grow a bit more when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Took a while but finally got here this evening (two weeks from ordering). Great sound, very impressed how much well rounded sound is coming out of such a tiny thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Elara have the grey and white mini in stock for €122

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME479AYP3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Pacifico wrote: »
    Elara have the grey and white mini in stock for €122

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME479AYP3

both are in stock with littlewoods for 115 just ordered the black\ grey one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How long do Littlewoods take for delivery do people know?

Mine took two weeks but that could be down to Christmas delays (ordered stephens day)

think mine said when i checked out it was due the 18th Jan

ah I missed that on the checkout page. Cool two ordered now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Mine was due the 9th, but got an email yesterday apologising for the delay. It has dispatched, but I assume it's stuck in some Brexit customs backlog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Can anyone tell me how to tell Siri to put on RTÉ radio one.... I can get it on through Apple Music on my phone but I’d rather just tell her!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

Billydoc wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to tell Siri to put on RTÉ radio one.... I can get it on through Apple Music on my phone but I’d rather just tell her!!!

It's funny - my OH got Siri to play Lyric FM on the kitchen HomePod, but she hasn't been able to get Radio 1 yet. Now I've just got Siri to play "RTE acute Radio 1, via TuneIn", so it must be down to, I don't know, accent, tone, intonation...?

It's probably down to how us Irish pronounce 'R' and the HomePod is set to a different English locale

Is Siri down for anyone at the moment? Keep saying “one sec”, “one moment” then “there seems to be a problem”. This is on my iPhone and HomePods since this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

I've had that on the HomePods as well this morning, but I assumed it was down to 5 people being on Zoom at the same time breaking the broadband...

iniall wrote: »
    I've had that on the HomePods as well this morning, but I assumed it was down to 5 people being on Zoom at the same time breaking the broadband...

I think it must be down. I thought it was just my HomePods but it is my phone also. The Apple server status is green for Siri. I’ve fired them off an email.

shanec1928 wrote: »

Yeah, I see that alright but mine is definitely down. Is anyone else experiencing issues or is theirs working?

Yeah, I see that alright but mine is definitely down. Is anyone else experiencing issues or is theirs working?

Siri's not working for me on iPhone 11 Pro here.

Status pages rarely show outages as they happen, for whatever reason they take about an hour before they show anything's up :pac:

• Advertisement

Siri only works for me when I'm talking to someone else (usually on a work call), and I say something random that gets misinterpreted as "Hey Siri". That hasn't happened on my last 3 work calls, so I thought something was wrong.

Siri appears to be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Ordered on 26th of December only got it today. There was a delay.

Siri was down for me earlier too. Kept saying one sec, etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Whenever I say hey Siri call John, it always says ‘Did you mean John?’. I’m saying it as clear as possible but every time it happens.

Siri was down for me earlier too. Kept saying one sec, etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Whenever I say hey Siri call John, it always says ‘Did you mean John?’. I’m saying it as clear as possible but every time it happens.

Yeah, it was definitely down but back now.

Mine was due the 9th, but got an email yesterday apologising for the delay. It has dispatched, but I assume it's stuck in some Brexit customs backlog :rolleyes:

Hmm I fear I’ll be seeing something similar. did you have to pay anything extra?

Got an automated phone call notifying me of a delay but with zero information. That was after an email the previous day saying it had “despatched” from the supplier. Logging into the account gives me zero information whatsoever. Shall be the last time I order from little woods. Should have just gone with Elara as I’ve bought there before and know what service to expect at least.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Mines still not arrived from littlewoods either.

Bit disappointing so far.

eeloe wrote: »
    Mines still not arrived from littlewoods either.

Bit disappointing so far.

Mine took two weeks from littlewoods.

Tracking through the order process, they may be dropshipping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The latest update was released yesterday (14.4) with support for the new hand-off feature. You need to update your iPhone and HomePod mini for it to work.

Just tried it out and it’s really cool, as you move closer the HomePod display gets brighter and the haptics of the iPhone get stronger and faster.

It’s something I used a fair bit the old way but always felt it was hit and miss with detection. Hope this new method is more consistent. It’s solid so far and cool to use.

Only supported in the latest HomePod mini though, as the UWB chip is required.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    The latest update was released yesterday (14.4) with support for the new hand-off feature. You need to update your iPhone and HomePod mini for it to work.

Just tried it out and it’s really cool, as you move closer the HomePod display gets brighter and the haptics of the iPhone get stronger and faster.

It’s something I used a fair bit the old way but always felt it was hit and miss with detection. Hope this new method is more consistent. It’s solid so far and cool to use.

Only supported in the latest HomePod mini though, as the UWB chip is required.

I seen that alright. I updated both of mine last night and noticed no difference, didn’t realise you have to update the phone as well.

Advertisement