Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I just unboxed my new homepod. First impressions are excellent and I can confirm Siri works perfectly in Ireland using an Irish apple id.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

prionnsias wrote: »
    I just unboxed my new homepod. First impressions are excellent and I can confirm Siri works perfectly in Ireland using an Irish apple id.

Nice one , I’m an Apple Music subscriber so I’m definitely getting one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Come back to me when Siri can sing a Christmas carol. :p

Tangent comment. Say the following to Siri: “i see a little silhouetto of a man” ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Savage ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

faceman wrote: »
    Come back to me when Siri can sing a Christmas carol. :p

Tangent comment. Say the following to Siri: “i see a little silhouetto of a man” ;)

"......I'm just a poor assistant....nobody loves me...." :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thats great, just ordered one myself.

I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem so Echos and Spotify just make things slightly more awkward - I use Siri on CarPlay also.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

I'm running the beta of 11.3 on my Apple TV and Siri for tv is available in Ireland. So will be available on general release I'm sure once it comes through later in spring.

I think if Siri didn't work in this country on the homepod it would be a bit crap to be honest. Airplay works fine and the sound is amazing but the voice control features set it apart from a regular speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I think if Siri didn't work in this country on the homepod it would be a bit crap to be honest. Airplay works fine and the sound is amazing but the voice control features set it apart from a regular speaker

Yes as opposed to Apple TV which is OK without Siri (to be honest I find Siri a bit useless on it and prefer the regular UI), the HomePod can't really launch in a country without Siri.

so the homepod/siri gets 52% of questions correct

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/11/homepod-siri-functionality-test/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Does anyone have an educated guess as to when we can expect it on the Irish store?

Vudgie wrote: »
    Does anyone have an educated guess as to when we can expect it on the Irish store?

might be a while , see how the yanks and the Brits get on first

Vudgie wrote: »

Hard to put a date on it ... but as soon as Apple feels Siri is ready to answer enough Ireland specific queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

peteeeed wrote: »
    so the homepod/siri gets 52% of questions correct

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/11/homepod-siri-functionality-test/

odd, I would have thought Alexa would have been better at 64%.

I didn't get a chance to watch the video but do they say what the figure for understanding the commands are for Alexa/Assistant. Siri is quite good at 99.4 percent.

odd, I would have thought Alexa would have been better at 64%.

I didn't get a chance to watch the video but do they say what the figure for understanding the commands are for Alexa/Assistant. Siri is quite good at 99.4 percent.

Yes my understanding is that if you go into the details the percentage doesn’f necessarily reflect the accurracy of each product to process cammands it supports, but has a lot to do with how wide that range of commands is.

For exemple a product which supports navigation and lights control but only gets those right 50% of the time will get the same overall score as a product whic only supports lights controls but gets it right 100% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 glideslope

Thanks for posting that info. When you say it works perfectly do you mean Siri can set timers, create reminders, play specific songs from Apple music with an Irish Apple music sub etc. you know the same as on iPhone. Just concerned it is restricted in some way in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

glideslope wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that info. When you say it works perfectly do you mean Siri can set timers, create reminders, play specific songs from Apple music with an Irish Apple music sub etc. you know the same as on iPhone. Just concerned it is restricted in some way in Ireland.

I have the same query, will it be as simple as changing the country when it launches here or will you be locked to using UK Siri etc?

Looks like the audio part gives Hi-Fi brand a run for their money: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/12/homepod-audiophile-review-standing-ovation/

I found it works fine for music playback, reminders, timers most things really. The only things that I have found that doesn't work is if you ask it the news or if you ask it to play music from a particular decade. Basically whatever way Siri works on your phone now It'll work the same on the homepod, the same regional restrictions will apply.

Amn't I right in saying that there is no such thing as this? You just have an Apple Music sub that is paid with an Irish bank card? Service is no different to an American sub?

I don't see how it would be restricted for geo-locations when it's Siri capabilities on the Homepd are quite limited anyway

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Amn't I right in saying that there is no such thing as this? You just have an Apple Music sub that is paid with an Irish bank card? Service is no different to an American sub?

I don't see how it would be restricted for geo-locations when it's Siri capabilities on the Homepd are quite limited anyway

Isn’t it the Apple Music sub is tied to the Apple ID which is restricted to the country in which it was initially set up? There are some albums that aren’t available or get delayed coming to he Irish subs.

murpho999 wrote: »

Th music selection will be different depending one which iTunes Store you got your subscription from (which has to be the store matching the billing address if your debit/credit card). So yes an Irish subscription and a US one will provide a slightly different service.

I believe on top of that there can be restrictions depending on where you are using the service from (i.e. not all the content from the Irish service might be available if you are using it from Spain, but the affected content is fairly limited).

I am not sur how this could affect the way the HomePod leverages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

kkapp wrote: »
    I'm running the beta of 11.3 on my Apple TV and Siri for tv is available in Ireland. So will be available on general release I'm sure once it comes through later in spring.

Any thing you did to get this working? I'm on the latest 11.3 beta and it's still grayed out in the settings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭flashf1

Any thing you did to get this working? I'm on the latest 11.3 beta and it's still grayed out in the settings :(

Yeah, same query here, how'd you get it working??

I found it works fine for music playback, reminders, timers most things really. The only things that I have found that doesn't work is if you ask it the news or if you ask it to play music from a particular decade. Basically whatever way Siri works on your phone now It'll work the same on the homepod, the same regional restrictions will apply.

I got my hands on it this morning .. only had a few minutes to play around with it .. for some reason I can't get it to access my calendar or notes .. it keeps saying that the language needs to be the same as the device.
    I've set the language on both the HomePod and iPhone to UK English but to no avail !! .. any suggestions?

Don’t know about notes, but calendar doesn’t work with HomePod. I assume it’ll silently get updated in future to do that cause it’s a glaring omission.

whippet wrote: »
    I got my hands on it this morning .. only had a few minutes to play around with it .. for some reason I can't get it to access my calendar or notes .. it keeps saying that the language needs to be the same as the device.
    I've set the language on both the HomePod and iPhone to UK English but to no avail !! .. any suggestions?

Just guessing but maybe or is also a matter region settings and you also need to set the region to UK on both devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

whippet wrote: »

No current Support for Notes or calendars.

flexcon wrote: »
    No current Support for Notes or calendars.

I managed to get the messages and notes working .. very easy .. with a shared note - shopping list - it’s a god send !!! Either myself or the missus can add to it as we think of things and it shows on both our phones !

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Just guessing but maybe or is also a matter region settings and you also need to set the region to UK on both devices.

I really don't think that Siri cares about your region.

The issue is that the Homepod is an incomplete product at launch.

€350 then having to wait for hopeful future updates is wrong in my opinion.

Advertisement