Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

iniall wrote: »
    Is there anything about AirPlay 2 that's good for those of us who only have one HomePod?

If you have other airplay 2 compatible speakers, there is multi room.

And I don’t know the answer but I’m wondering if AirPlay 2 significantly improves latency. I.e. can you comfortably play a video game on the Apple TV with the audio output sent to the AirPod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

I've been using the HomePod as the audio output from my Apple TV (3rd generation) for a few months now and haven't noticed any latency issues with it.

iniall wrote: »
    I've been using the HomePod as the audio output from my Apple TV (3rd generation) for a few months now and haven't noticed any latency issues with it.

Including with interactive applications such as games?

(For videos, Apple has always been fairly good at offsetting the video and audio tracks so that latency is not perceived, but with something interactive you can't offset - maybe the HomePod has improved airplay but with my B&W airplay speaker latency is clearly noticeable with games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

HomePod update 11.4.1 is out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The device looks a nice piece of kit, but the price is a stretch at least compared to Googlehome and Amazon Alexa. Hopefuly a price drop soon.

• Advertisement

The device looks a nice piece of kit, but the price is a stretch at least compared to Googlehome and Amazon Alexa. Hopefuly a price drop soon.

Manach wrote: »

Audio quality seems quite significantly better though (including compared to larger products from competitors).

Price might drop a bit (not sure), but I doubt it will be a massive drop and I think Apple might release a cheaper version which doesn’t sound as good in the future for people who are mostly after a virtual assistant and don’t care as much for audio quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jomazuma

i have apple music so i will probably get one at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Manach wrote: »

In fairness you’d need to be comparing the price of the HomePod with Google Home Max as the sound quality (HomePod’s main feature) is more comparable to the Max and amazon aren’t in the high end speaker market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Have mine about a fortnight now and to be honest, I use it more than I thought I would.

I’m a bit pissed off I can’t tell it to play somehing from iTunes though. I’m of the age where I’m not really into new music, even from some of my favourites. I don’t want an Apple Music subscription.

As a workaround I found out if you use Apple match for €25 a year instead of Apple Music for €10 a month, it will use all your iTunes library.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Have mine about a fortnight now and to be honest, I use it more than I thought I would.

I’m a bit pissed off I can’t tell it to play somehing from iTunes though. I’m of the age where I’m not really into new music, even from some of my favourites. I don’t want an Apple Music subscription.
    Thanks, I did not know that. I've already an Amazon product and use it to access Audible books. But my music is on Itunes and so if it cannot be called from Homepod, that is not ideal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can Airplay from your iTunes library to the Homepod. And if the library is on a computer in another room you can use the Remote app on your iPhone to control it - it cannot select Apple Music tracks but since you don't have or want Apple Music it won't make any difference.

IOS 12 beta 5 features phone calls through homepod

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/30/homepod-phone-call-support/

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

peteeeed wrote: »
    IOS 12 beta 5 features phone calls through homepod

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/30/homepod-phone-call-support/

That would be quite handy actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, found Siri to be way more accurate than on the phone. The sound is magic out of it, a friend has an amazon Echo and they’re not playing the same sport. I have a few HomeKit devices and they seem to respond way quicker then using the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I picked one up in Belfast three or four months ago and have been using it constantly. It's a fantastic piece of kit. Possibly the only drawback is that it can be fiddly to voice control specific tracks if there are multiple versions of the same track on the Apple catalogue.

Sound quality is fantastic though.

If they get multiple named alarms, and Irish radio stations, I'd buy back one or two for my house.

I had it out, but returned it as I found it limited on those regards.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Question96

can this be ordered from the apple.ie site ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Question96 wrote: »
    can this be ordered from the apple.ie site ?

Unfortunately not, it hasn't launched in Ireland yet.

flexcon wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, it hasn't launched in Ireland yet.

Its slow - wonder should we tell Apple we don't need translations as Gaelige for Siri ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 32 Question96

thanks for the replys , does the uk site accept shipments to ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't think so. You could use Parcel Motel or take a trip to Belfast yourself.

Google lists a couple of sites that ship to Ireland but I have no idea about them and the prices seems to vary a lot on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

I used parcel motel. Took a day extra. Make sure you take out extra insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Guys was looking to buy a homepod, just have a question, will it work over 3g connection?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

colmkirk wrote: »
    Guys was looking to buy a homepod, just have a question, will it work over 3g connection?

It needs to connect to a WiFi access point. So once your dongle exposes a WiFi network that your iPhone can use you should be fine.

Is Tunein and Irish radio stations available on the HomePod yet?

AidenL wrote: »
    Is Tunein and Irish radio stations available on the HomePod yet?

Any app which supports airplay on your iOS device can be sent to the HomePod. That is most if not all audio apps, and tunein definitly does.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Any app which supports airplay on your iOS device can be set to the HomePod. That is most if not all audio apps, and tunein definitly does.

But is that just Airplaying to it, selections the station on a phone or IPad?

I wasn’t able to use Siri to control radio station selection when I had a HomePod, I presume that still not changed?

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Any app which supports airplay on your iOS device can be set to the HomePod. That is most if not all audio apps, and tunein definitly does.

But is that just Airplaying to it, selecting the station on a phone or IPad?

I wasn’t able to use Siri to control radio station selection when I had a HomePod, I presume that still not changed?

Advertisement