Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OP why not try a smaller engine for a year or so to help bring your insurance down. Daewoo had a Matiz that had a .8L engine. Cheaper tax too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP why not try a smaller engine for a year or so to help bring your insurance down. Daewoo had a Matiz that had a .8L engine. Cheaper tax too

I doubt it's the car, More so overall risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

If you're going on someone else's policy it's not just a case of paying their extra premium. You should consider the hike in their insurance in the event of a claim and who covers that. If it's legal and possible. If it is the other person is taking a lot of risk for you.

Get your licence for sure.
    In the meantime you should be able to get quotes by stating you have a full licence, you don't have to takeout the policy but at least you know the savings you'll get.

Some insurers offer discounts for those who've taken advanced driving courses.

Get the smallest engine possible in your quote.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

hefferboi wrote: »
    I’m not complaining about it. I knew it would be high since the day I was put off. If there’s a legal way of getting cheaper insurance then I’d obviously prefer to go for it. I was just trying to get all my options.

That's fair enough just how it came across. No body's perfect we all f**k up. But in reality I don't think you've a way around this one because there is a lot of fine print where you and your friend could get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Rave.ef wrote: »
    That's fair enough just how it came across. No body's perfect we all f**k up. But in reality I don't think you've a way around this one because there is a lot of fine print where you and your friend could get caught out.

Ya that’s fair enough I don’t think I’m going to go that route anyway. Too much risk for my friend in fairness. I reckon I’ll just take the hit for a few years and build up my no claims bonus until I don’t have to claim that I had a disqualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Leave your housemate out of it.its Mickey Mouse territory bordering on fraud getting someone to name you on a provisional license when you plan on being the main driver and probably unaccompanied.neither you or housemate will do good on this and guaranteed it will get sour.
    In the long run you need to take the hit now and move on.the sooner you start your own policy the sooner you will be able to get proper quotes at reasonable prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Get your license.
    Do advanced driver courses
    Buy a low risk car.
    Hope that you live in a low risk area and have a low risk job.

Maybe add your parents as named drivers of they have decent no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ANXIOUS wrote:
    I doubt it's the car, More so overall risk.

I get that. Only a learners permit & and drink driving conviction. He's still a less of a risk in a smaller car though. It might take a few hundred off the quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    hefferboi wrote:
    Also, I read that after 5 years from the date I was put off the road that I don’t have to tell the insurance companies about my conviction, is that correct??

7 years from the date of the end of the conviction as far as I remember
    it's 7 years from the date you were convicted, so it's the date you were put off the road is when it starts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Not sure if it is still the case but a male only policy used to be more expensive.

If you are married get quotes with your spouse as a named driver otherwise get a quote with your mam as a named driver if she has a full licence and clear record.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

Well... I was in my school today afternoon and there were two lads also drink driving as I could see They were drinking while car was running. They fightent me by trying to hit me by their car following by their bull**** laughs. I wish they would get banned for 20 years. Insurance for €5000 for drink driving is too too cheap to be consideref of how danger such kind of drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

toyotafan wrote: »
    Well... I was in my school today afternoon and there were two lads also drink driving as I could see They were drinking while car was running. They fightent me by trying to hit me by their car following by their bull**** laughs. I wish they would get banned for 20 years. Insurance for €5000 for drink driving is too too cheap to be consideref of how danger such kind of drivers.

Bit of a difference no? Getting caught for driving then morning after is a bit different from two anti social knacks being a##holes.

Can't tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

With those kind of people a 20 year ban won't stop them driving.
    They,ll walk out of court with a naggin of vodka and hop back into any car they can get there hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

I’m now looking to get back driving but have been quoted €5,000. I’m 26 and I’ve only got a provisional licence but have my driving test next month. I was looking at a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.4 diesel or a 2010 Polo 1.2 petrol.

Try XS Direct. Excess is €3k if you have a claim
    ....Also, I read that after 5 years from the date I was put off the road that I don’t have to tell the insurance companies about my conviction, is that correct??

Notification period is 7 years since being put off the road... The insurance company asks if there are any material facts which may affect your application. Drink driving convictons would come under this category. Your policy would be invalid if you failed to mention a material fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Did you report them to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Farmer Bob wrote: »
    Try XS Direct. Excess is €3k if you have a claim

Notification period is 7 years since being put off the road... The insurance company asks if there are any material facts which may affect your application. Drink driving convictons would come under this category. Your policy would be invalid if you failed to mention a material fact...

So you have to mention the drink driving even after the 7 years??

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

Your conviction is spent after 7 years. So on the 7th anniversary of being put off the road it's nobody's business any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So you have to mention the drink driving even after the 7 years??
    No:
    6. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, where a person has a conviction which is, in accordance with this Part, regarded as a spent conviction, he or she shall not be required by—
    (a) any rule of law, or
    (b) by the provisions of any agreement or arrangement which purport to require the person to disclose the conviction or any circumstances ancillary to the conviction,
    to disclose that conviction or the circumstances ancillary thereto.
    There are some exceptions to the above, but the only exception related to insurance is in cases where "A person who is convicted of fraud, deceit or dishonesty" apply

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

No, I did not do anything, and Gardaí might not do anything further so just waste time. But next time if I saw anything like that, I would capture their registration number and report Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

No, I did not do anything, and Gardaí might not do anything further so just waste time. But next time if I saw anything like that, I would capture their registration number and report Gardaí.
    You made the effort to come on boards and complain that the Gardaí might not actually do anything about it but didn't actually bother informing the Gardaí, do you see a problem with this?

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You made the effort to come on boards and complain that the Gardaí might not actually do anything about it but didn't actually bother informing the Gardaí, do you see a problem with this?

Thank you for your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You made the effort to come on boards and complain that the Gardaí might not actually do anything about it but didn't actually bother informing the Gardaí, do you see a problem with this?

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I didn't make a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's up to the public as a citizen to report.

The cops can't be everywhere and see everything.

Having a bottle while driving isn't technically illegal as you could still pass the breathalyser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Rave.ef wrote: »
    I actually can't ride a horse

You wouldn't be trotting on a high horse so as it takes a while to be able to do a rising trot :)

Advertisement