Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2018

Options
  • 23-01-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Yes, it is that time of year again. Airshow news is starting to creep out.

2018 Northern Ireland and Ireland airshow dates

Weston’s Special Day of Flying – Saturday 7th July 2018

Foynes Airshow 2018 – TBC (Saturday 28th July)

Bray Air Display – TBC (website countdown to Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th July)

Rush Airshow – Sunday 5th August

Birr Airshow – Monday 6th August 2018.

Newcastle Festival of Flight – Saturday 11th August (Sunday 12th August 2018 TBC)

Airwaves Portrush – Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd September 2018

The Viggen has Bray/Foynes on their schedule.
    Newcastle is proposed to be 2 days, budget cut may only see it being 1
    Catalina has 2 bookings for displays on the island so far.
    Wildcat Aerobatics also have a listing for Bray 2018.
    Portrush will be an RAF 100 event
    Newcastle will have a 'National Aircraft tour' as part of RAF 100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jasT1981

Catalina now has a listing for 27th-29th July at Weston. So looks like Bray/Foynes. Also down for Eniskillen (June) and a listing to be based at Derry for Portrush weekend (September)

Foynes airshow confirmed now as 28th July.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Now get the Italian lads back and a bit of sun and happy days!!!!

Kuva wrote: »
    Now get the Italian lads back and a bit of sun and happy days!!!!

Sadly Bray is not on their schedule. It was released a few days ago :( I have heard (though not confirmed by either them or Bray) the Royal Jordanian Falcons maybe back.

• Advertisement

jasT1981 wrote: »
    Sadly Bray is not on their schedule. It was released a few days ago :( I have heard (though not confirmed by either them or Bray) the Royal Jordanian Falcons maybe back.

Awww, falcons can stay where they are, no point wasting money on fluff.

What other group like the Italians is their????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Excellent. Last time they arrived on the Fri I assumed they would come in over the Bay from the Kish, when of course they pass LAPMO and then turn southerly to the Port entrance. So I only climbed halfway up Shielmartin on Howth Hill and missed half the flyover. Damn low and spectacular anyway, with zero time for a snap, and I plan to do it properly this time. Feel free to join at around 19.30 on the 27th assuming the conditions are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw-oFkWZgn8

An official (I think?) highlights clip from last year's Bray Air Show that was posted on broadsheet today. Its getting me in the mood for this year already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Awww, falcons can stay where they are, no point wasting money on fluff.

Here is a wiki link to a fairly comprehensive list of current and disbanded civilian and military display teams https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_display_teams

Blut2 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw-oFkWZgn8

An official (I think?) highlights clip from last year's Bray Air Show that was posted on broadsheet today. Its getting me in the mood for this year already!

And over on the side the mighty freece from the year before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

For flair and pure excitement no one beats the Italians

I have seen The Thunderbirds / Red Arrows etc loads of times both in the UK and the US , they are without doubt the best team out there their drunk pilot bit is just unreal. ( do they still do that ?)

I might try to make Bray this year , I assume get in there at the crack of dawn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZ9821-Vr4

It's called "volo folle" (crazy flight) and last time I checked, they very much still do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

H3llR4iser wrote:
    It's called "volo folle" (crazy flight) and last time I checked, they very much still do it

Bet they changed the name for pc .... last time saw them was at Oshkosh in about 1988 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Bet they changed the name for pc .... last time saw them was at Oshkosh in about 1988 :-)

Aahahah actually possible, it sounds a bit like a cacophony in Italian, something like "Volo dell'ubriaco" :D

Davidth88 wrote: »

I might try to make Bray this year , I assume get in there at the crack of dawn ?

Nope, no need. They've lots of parking in Industrial estates and then you walk/ or get the free buses they put on down to the show.

If you've no interest in the funfair/stalls then an hour/ 2 hours or so before it starts is grand.

Royal Jordanian Falcons will return to Bray according to their schedule.

Foynes has 13 world renowned displays confirmed but not revealed yet.

Newcastle has the BBMF, Red Arrows, RAF Falcons & Typhoon with Team Raven returning.

Portrush has Red Arrows, BBMF and RAF Falcons all Sunday only. Tutor & Typhoon both days. Swiss DC3 & 2X Beech 18. Catalina Global Stars, Fly Navy Sea Fury & Autogyro.

Getting in and out of Bray isn't too bad. Just get the dart in from Dublin. I went from seaside to on the train within 5 minutes last year.

Bray lineup so far going by their post today

Aer Lingus Jet
    Air Corps – Various
    The Black Knights Parachute display team
    The Blades Aerobatic Team
    Catalina Flying Boat PBY-5A
    The ‘Shamrock 1942’ – Douglas Dc3
    Tranchant Jet Team – Fougas
    Dublin’s Eddie Goggins aka ‘The Flying Dentist’
    Richard Goodwin – Pitts Special
    Gerry Humphries with his ‘Flying Cow’ Vans RV7 solo display
    The Irish Historic Flight Foundation – Chipmunks
    The Irish Historic Flight Foundation – Stearman
    Irish Parachute Club
    The Red Arrows
    Irish Coast Guard Search and Rescue Demonstration
    The Royal Jordanian Falcons
    Me109 + Mustang
    Stearman
    Wildcat Aerobatics

They did say on FB a few weeks ago there would be the first round of announcements with 8 weeks to go, and another round 4 weeks before the show.

Anyway, Newcastle has revealed their line up, with some more TBC.
    RAF Red Arrows
    RAF Typhoon
    RAF Chinook
    RAF Falcons Parachute team
    RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane
    Rich Goodwin - Muscle pitts
    Aerosuperbatic Wingwalkers
    The Blades
    Andrew Fenton
    Gerry Humphreys
    Vintage Pair - Chipmunks pairs display
    Autogyro
    Irish Air Corps AW139
    Irish Air Corps CASA
    Team Raven *
    Irish Historic Flight *

* Team Raven and Irish historic only confirmed on operators website so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

No Love for the Mustang?

Calibos wrote: »
    No Love for the Mustang?

I would be looking forward to seeing the Mustang, ME109 and the Reds again.

Was lucky enough to see Mustangs in the US a few years ago and ME109s 2 years ago in the UK. But Ive also seen 12 Spitfires in formation so Ive gotten my merlin engine fixation!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bray lineup so far going by their post today

Aer Lingus Jet
    Air Corps – Various
    The Black Knights Parachute display team
    The Blades Aerobatic Team
    Catalina Flying Boat PBY-5A
    The ‘Shamrock 1942’ – Douglas Dc3
    Tranchant Jet Team – Fougas
    Dublin’s Eddie Goggins aka ‘The Flying Dentist’
    Richard Goodwin – Pitts Special
    Gerry Humphries with his ‘Flying Cow’ Vans RV7 solo display
    The Irish Historic Flight Foundation – Chipmunks
    The Irish Historic Flight Foundation – Stearman
    Irish Parachute Club
    The Red Arrows
    Irish Coast Guard Search and Rescue Demonstration
    The Royal Jordanian Falcons
    Me109 + Mustang
    Stearman
    Wildcat Aerobatics

Bring back Salthill now that was a show that was different every year, every time I went there it never failed to impress with the displays they had there. The other Air Show that's on in Foynes that weekend will be a mirror image of Bray which is just silly, why not got for different display aircraft

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Bring back Salthill now that was a show that was different every year, every time I went there it never failed to impress with the displays they had there. The other Air Show that's on in Foynes that weekend will be a mirror image of Bray which is just silly, why not got for different display aircraft

I don't think you realise just how difficult it is to get "different" aircraft these days. Between the operating cost and extra restrictions and regulations imposed after things like the Shoreham Hunter crash, there simply are not the same number of vintage and veteran aircraft available for displays like Bray. As for criticising Foynes for going the same weekend, and effectively helping share the (significant) costs of getting participants to come to Ireland in the first place, I can only suggest that rather than throw stones from the sidelines, you get actively involved with the groups that are working very hard to make the displays happen, you might then perhaps understand just how hard it is to put these displays together.

And no, I am not involved in either event in terms of organising them, so I don't have an axe to grind in that respect, but through connections, I do have an understanding of what's involved with vintage and veteran aircraft operations.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ......The other Air Show that's on in Foynes that weekend will be a mirror image of Bray which is just silly, why not got for different display aircraft
    Would you be willing to pay for such varied teams?
    Both shows share dates and participants to be able to provide a free-to-attend airshow in an island nation with no large native military presence.
    There are lots of airshows with varied perfomers in the UK each summer if you are willing to travel and spend money.
    The 1980's with their large Cold War airforces willing to travel to display are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Salthill was absolutely nuts back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFXF2DFPGc

2004. And look at the display line compared to where it would be today.

Glad I caught the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

I don't think you realise just how difficult it is to get "different" aircraft these days. Between the operating cost and extra restrictions and regulations imposed after things like the Shoreham Hunter crash, there simply are not the same number of vintage and veteran aircraft available for displays like Bray. As for criticising Foynes for going the same weekend, and effectively helping share the (significant) costs of getting participants to come to Ireland in the first place, I can only suggest that rather than throw stones from the sidelines, you get actively involved with the groups that are working very hard to make the displays happen, you might then perhaps understand just how hard it is to put these displays together.

And no, I am not involved in either event in terms of organising them, so I don't have an axe to grind in that respect, but through connections, I do have an understanding of what's involved with vintage and veteran aircraft operations.

Ok i know i have said it numerous times.
    Look at Malta International Airshow. it is run by Malt Aviation Society and is a volunteer run show/organisation, this is the first year the show has been cancelled due to the government not providing money for moving the show location from the airport to the coast.

In saying that for the last 25 years they have had such a variety of air forces and aircraft, yes they charge in at the gate for the static park and that is used to fund the following years show.

The various ticket types they use also help the show and to be honest a similiar setup could be done here.

Just needs a group of people and some sponsors like how they do it in malta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

andy_g wrote: »
    Ok i know i have said it numerous times.
    Look at Malta International Airshow. it is run by Malt Aviation Society and is a volunteer run show/organisation, this is the first year the show has been cancelled due to the government not providing money for moving the show location from the airport to the coast.

In saying that for the last 25 years they have had such a variety of air forces and aircraft, yes they charge in at the gate for the static park and that is used to fund the following years show.

The various ticket types they use also help the show and to be honest a similiar setup could be done here.

Just needs a group of people and some sponsors like how they do it in malta.

How are your friends doing in trying to get one in Baldonnel? They were making good progress the last time you mentioned it I believe.

Still can't see it ever happening but interested to know what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

Is using an example airshow that had to be cancelled this year due to high costs not a pretty terrible choice to to use? It doesn't really make your point of "they should spend a lot more on Irish airshows" very well. I'd see it as a good example of why Irish airshows should try to keep to low budgets, and not have to be cancelled.

Personally I would be willing to pay to attend an Irish airshow. But the availibility of display teams is an issue, there are a finite numbe rof big name teams or unique flashy aircraft.
    The Bray location is not really a good location to try to prevent non-ticketed attendance of course.

I have been lucky enough to attend the Chicago Air & water show twice in a row about 4-5 years ago. Its along a beachfront and is free, while it has an impressive line-up (alternating years headline is Thunderbirds or Blue Angels) I was there in 2014 (I think?) when the USAF/USN/USMC where not displaying due to budget issues. And it was a lot of repetition on the previous years linesup. It was still a good display but the hardcore fans will want to see/hear/feel the fast jets.

The non-active military year was lucky enough to have a civilian owned Sea harrier as the headline act:

9706732693_4d44a335b9_m.jpgSea Harrier takes a bow by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Negative_G wrote: »
    How are your friends doing in trying to get one in Baldonnel? They were making good progress the last time you mentioned it I believe.

Still can't see it ever happening but interested to know what they think.
    Im not involved in this so i have no clue, as i stated previously that there was someone looking at working it.
    Blut2 wrote: »
    Is using an example airshow that had to be cancelled this year due to high costs not a pretty terrible choice to to use? It doesn't really make your point of "they should spend a lot more on Irish airshows" very well. I'd see it as a good example of why Irish airshows should try to keep to low budgets, and not have to be cancelled.

if you look at the malta airshow website or as MAS there was more politics in it than cost, the society has the money to run the show but the politics involved are causing the problems.

The government in malta have decided to start up their own show in 2019 called malta international airfest, this is what seems to be causing the problems to Malta International Airshow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

AGC wrote: »
    Just flew over Merrion square, looked well

A link to ATC on 119.60 MHz anyone?

Advertisement