Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

So the Newcastle Festival of Flight was completely cancelled today due to "atrocious" weather conditions.

Well, the flying was cancelled. Ground displays were still there but a lot of unhappy campers I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jasT1981

Gutted, so much work went into putting together what I thought was a great line up, but 100% the right call. Conditions were absolutely horrible. At one stage visibility was around 30ft at the hotel. Typhoon came in, couldn't see a thing.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of people on FB (I run the Newcastle FoF page) have been very understanding and I've had 0 negative posts/messages, and everyone seems to understand the decision.

This is from the Slieve Donard hotel door.

38878099_1888066234592067_4063273429791408128_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=327aacefcf7f794ba0f6c2d34ec48552&oe=5C00BC6A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

So the Newcastle Festival of Flight was completely cancelled today due to "atrocious" weather conditions.

I was up there ... lovely morning .... had a great cup of coffee ... settled in the sun waiting for the show..... announcer came on said typhoon is coming in ... and bang weather closed up ... cloud base of about 150 ft driving misty rain ... typhoon made some noise in the clouds and buggered off ... we saw nothing only the red arrows doing a fly past about midday on their way to refuel. Such a shame for the organisers the setup there is great the town is a great place and really pretty countryside ... damn shame . I'll be back next year for sure it's exactly 2hrs from west of dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

The weather was so unfortunate on Saturday, the cloud rolled down off the mountains about 5 minutes before the display was to begin. The Typhoon came in for a look and you couldn't actually see him but you could see his shadow on the cloud. I took my clothes out of the washing machine on Saturday night and they were dryer than when they went in.

Fingers crossed for better weather next year.

Portrush closes our islands shows this weekend. Very good line up too. Hopefully better weather than Newcastle. Will be up on the Saturday.
    Both Days
    RAF Typhoon
    RAF Tutor
    RAF BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane
    Royal Navy Sea Fury T20
    Catalina Flying Boat
    Global Stars Aerobatic Team (Extra 300)
    Wildcat Aerobatics (2x Pitts Special)
    Huey and Loach Helicopters
    Swiss Classic Flight (DC3 Dakota & 3x Beech 18)
    Ulster Gliding Club Glider
    Gyro Air Displays

Saturday Only
    Mig 15
    Irish Coast Guard S92 Search & Rescue

Sunday only
    RAF Red Arrows
    RAF Falcons

Portstewart Night Display

Piper J3C Cub - O Brien's Flying Circus
    Extra 300 - Mark Jefferies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Typhoon is great, 2 would be better.

Kuva wrote: »
    Typhoon is great, 2 would be better.

No, 22 was better ;)

37056741_1840761955989162_437681373898080256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d35f065c4f87b9047bcb41df5d5acc8c&oe=5BFFFEFF

Advertisement