Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing contacts/sensors to windows

Options
  • 23-01-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Just got new windows and had house re-wired which included alarm.

I don't want to be putting screws into my new windows (they are upvc) is there another reliable way of fixing the sensors etc? Whats the industry norm?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Industry norm is to screw them in with small squareheaded screws , you could get a strong adhesive but personally I wouldn't go for it . Its literally a teeny screw that you wont see behind the casing of the sensor and in no way will it damage your windows. Sensors must be fixed sturdily to allow for the gross attack and pulse count of an attempted break in, even though a really adhesive may work, long term I would be sceptical.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I really dont get the ammount of time I hear this question. If you wanted window locks etc how would you fit them. Sensors are going to be there for the life of the windows. You are never going to see the holes.
    Omelettes & Eggs comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

ah locks are different they rely on rigidity and strength.... and I take the point about the inertia sensors being more reliable without anything to muffle them (such as sticky spongey stuff)

Was just wondering if there was an accepted alternative to screws as its obviously better to not have holes in your window frames if you can at all avoid it.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement