Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a raise?

Options
  • 23-01-2018 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

I am going to ask my boss for a raise.

I believe that in another company’s i could earn 20% more on top of what I am presently earning. I had a great year for the company financially last year, doubling what I took in the year before and bringing in 3 times my own wages.

I will bring this information to my boss. I would like to know how to best go about this.

Obviously I will pick my time properly and bring proof of my take in.

What do I do if my boss says no? I don’t want to move job but it is a small company. How do you stay in a job you like if you don’t get the pay you think you deserve?

I welcome any tips or experience. Without giving much away, it’s a professional office job, with two people.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In my experience the most you'll get if you stay will be 5 to 7.5% if you want an increase of twenty you'll have to move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

What do I do if my boss says no? I don’t want to move job but it is a small company. How do you stay in a job you like if you don’t get the pay you think you deserve?

From experience it will be untenable for you if you are shot down once you absolutely know you are significantly underpaid and undervalued. Either suck up the rejection mentally or job hunt

Your boss may try to call your bluff on your raise request and wait for you to hand in your notice at some point before the magic counter offer is pulled out. It happens, it works for some people but don't rely on it.

And don't fall for the 'we'll review it in 6 months or next year' line, that one rarely ever works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stheno wrote: »
    In my experience the most you'll get if you stay will be 5 to 7.5% if you want an increase of twenty you'll have to move

I once gave an employee a 26.7% pay raise.

It was a sort of coincidence of grade increase along with a good year for him and a good year for the company, think the average that year was 6%

• Registered Users Posts: 5 love_xenia

What do I do if my boss says no?
    If your boss says no, I think you should consider to change your job, especially, you could get 20% more outside, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

It can be done but a couple of things that stood out to me.

3 times your salary in a year wouldn’t seem huge to me but I guess it depends on what you are on and what the nature of the business is.

Getting 20% in another company doesn’t mean jack unless you have another job offer for that amount.

Statistically around 80% of employees who threaten to leave for a raise, leave within 12 months anyway.

Thread carefully and have all your ducks in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Go and get a job offer for that position offering 20% more.
    Only then, go to your boss and look for a counter offer.
    It's win win then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

My story.

I knew I was underpaid but I spent 6 months taking on any and all extra work and responsibilities that I could.

I made some improvements to processes as well where I could.

After the 6 months I went to my boss and said that I was underpaid and had been approached by a few recruiters (which was true) but before I started looking I would give the company an opportunity to make me an offer to stay.

After some back and forth I was given a 32% raise which was slightly less than I wanted but close enough that I’m happy to stay as there are other reasons to stay.

So it is possible but you have to do your homework, know your worth and be able to demonstrate it and most importantly be willing to walk if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

And if I don't want to walk?

(the location is right beside my kids creche/school)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You may have to just put up with the pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Then put a price on that convenience for you.

Are there even openings in other companies at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Thats a strong card that your boss is holding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Mr.S wrote: »

Then you work with no pay raise.

As a general rule you should always make a point of asking about pay reviews when accepting a job, most places do them annually in line with development / kpis - makes the whole thing easier.

If your boss knows this re your kids, or if the company is into budgets for 2018, or if you’ve no realistic job offer on the table, you’ll get a token increase.

Not sure what industry you’re in, but if it’s a sales job then bringing in 3 times your salary would seem fairly low, especially as you’ve just done that in the last year: you said you’ve doubled what you’ve brought in. 1.5 times your salary is very low, and overall, unlikely to cover your salary when all costs are taken into account.

When you say that you believe you could earn 20% more, is this anecdotal, or have you been to agencies / had interviews?

If you go in asking for an increase of 20%, that’s effectively an ultimatum. If you’re not prepared to leave if you don’t get it, they know then that you won’t rven leave, and you’re screwed then - they know they can pay you low increases and you’ll stay. Even if they do pay you such a huge increase, make such this doesn’t mean that you get no increases for the next few years. And also make sure that as it’s a small company (you are, I think 1 of 2 people in your role), the budget being blown on you doesn’t mean that you are now responsible for a huge amount, and that there’s no room to hire/retain other staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

_Brian wrote: »
    Stheno wrote: »

I once gave an employee a 26.7% pay raise.

It was a sort of coincidence of grade increase along with a good year for him and a good year for the company, think the average that year was 6%

But - I think - the OP is looking for a 20% increase for their current role. What you’ve described is a salary increase for a movement in his/her grade, i.e. more responsibilities in return for an increased salary.

Thank you all for your advice. I’ll take it on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Figure out what you'd be happy with - if he offered 7% or 10% - would that cool your jets?

Research your salary - is the 20% figure the max or the average?

Are you generally happy in the role or do you really just want a change of job at the end of the day?

Took it on board and had a chat today. Came away with an agreement that I am happy with.

Thanks for your help. Mods you can close this one now

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Before closing the thread, tell us the % increase, go on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

James 007 wrote: »
    Before closing the thread, tell us the % increase, go on!

If they agreed to it straight away OP didn’t ask for enough.

I didn't ask for the initial amount I thought when I posted on this thread. I thought about it, closeness to children is important for now, the work environment is good, the career itself has good prospects. And of course, I didn't want to leave.

I got a raise that will make a difference and college fees paid. Also got great positive feedback.

I feel good about it.

I didn't ask for the initial amount I thought when I posted on this thread. I thought about it, closeness to children is important for now, the work environment is good, the career itself has good prospects. And of course, I didn't want to leave.

I got a raise that will make a difference and college fees paid. Also got great positive feedback.

I feel good about it.

That's what you want op

Congratulations

• Advertisement
Advertisement