Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charger on street outside house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

It is understandable - I wonder is there any solution, similar to that https://popuppower.co.uk/products/in-ground-units/ jobbie, but with side exit for the cables?
    As with top exit for the cables, there is a tiny protrusion above the floorbox, however if the floorbox were installed at the edge of the curb, you could exit the cable straight to the road

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dpboard

hatrack wrote: »
    Disappointing to hear but can understand why the council would be non-committal. It’s fair enough on the clutter point but if there are streetlights close to the curb already a bollard wouldn’t cause any more of an obstruction.

This is a fair point. The road in question has regular obstructions on the kerbside in the form of trees and lampposts, though there is enough room on the path for a wheelchair or pram to comfortably get past.
    Dardania wrote: »
    It is understandable - I wonder is there any solution, similar to that https://popuppower.co.uk/products/in-ground-units/ jobbie, but with side exit for the cables?
    As with top exit for the cables, there is a tiny protrusion above the floorbox, however if the floorbox were installed at the edge of the curb, you could exit the cable straight to the road

That would be ideal.

I haven't given up yet. I think ideally the council should send someone around to survey how suitable the path is for a charger. The cost for this could be covered by the person requesting the charger.

Another thought I just had is that it is possible for people to get their kerb dropped so they can have a drive. This is essentially the council losing a public parking space. If this happens sometimes, I feel getting a charger installed should be possible, especially as it won't actually be a reserved parking space.

Semi tempted to try spec the requirements of this little side exit floorbox, and approach Rolec or similar - there must be many cases where this would apply. I could certainly do with one - I have planning permission to put in a driveway for EV charging, but the exact scenario you describe about the council losing a parking space occurs.
    A few bends in a sheet of mild steel could do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

well one might not pose a problem but dozens of them on every street certainly would

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Isambard wrote: »
    well one might not pose a problem but dozens of them on every street certainly would

Why?
    They would be on the kerbside, not where people walk.

Are you referring to the look of it?

• Advertisement

What about putting something like this on the vertical face of the kerb?:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32734466361.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32734466361&productSubject=IEC-62196-2-male-female-charger-ev-charging-connector-plug-electric-vehicle-charge-socket-For-32amp

It would need to be a bit better weathered on the back...but the principle elements are there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

KCross wrote: »
    Why?
    They would be on the kerbside, not where people walk.

Are you referring to the look of it?

two problems: If they are right on the kerb, they'll get sideswiped by cars swinging into a space. If they aren't they'll get in the way of pedestrians.

two problems: If they are right on the kerb, they'll get sideswiped by cars swinging into a space. If they aren't they'll get in the way of pedestrians.

They would be positioned the same as a kerbside lamp post. If someone wants to side swipe it they will have a damaged car they need to pay for and an insurance bill to replace the damaged unit.

I don't see the issue to be honest.

I spoke to a firm which installs chargers and they said that a major problem would be that if you have an electrical appliance in a public area the emergency services need to be able to isolate it easily (in case someone crashes their car into it). If the charger is fed from your house supply that becomes more difficult, and the emergency services would probably have to pull power to the whole street.

This does make sense to me. I lived on a steep street once, and someone left their car parked without the handbrake on. I stepped out my front door and promptly saw the car rolling past and it proceeded to smash into a power cabinet. The emergency services had to cut power to the whole area to remove the car, as the car was live.

Dardania wrote: »
    What about putting something like this on the vertical face of the kerb?:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32734466361.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32734466361&productSubject=IEC-62196-2-male-female-charger-ev-charging-connector-plug-electric-vehicle-charge-socket-For-32amp

It would need to be a bit better weathered on the back...but the principle elements are there

One potential issue here is that I can imagine if there is a very wet day or a water main starts leaking, water might start pooling in the gutter and submerge the socket. I would be worried if it was not closed properly or fully water-tight (or even currently in use) you could get serious problems. There is probably a reason electrical sockets are generally mounted a few feet off the ground. It would at least trip the RCD.

Reading up on the regs, I have found a rule saying that sockets in caravan parks have to be at a height between 0.5m and 1.5m above the ground. I haven't been able to find any regs relating to sockets that are not in a caravan park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi Guys
    Interesting conversation, I am looking to get an EV and live in a culdesac in Ashbourne (map link https://goo.gl/maps/gGtBnx5gYDA2 ) While not off street its very very quiet traffic wise and was wondering if anyone managed to get a charge point installed in the front garden in a set up like this? If the charge point was on the wall where the meter is it would be a short hop to the car parked at the house (which it always is, no one disrespects ts parking here).

Any feedback would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's still a public footpath your cable has to cross though? You won't qualify for the €600 subsidy in that situation iirc.

But do you really need an EV charge point? You could probably get away with using a granny charger and a cable coming out of a window / front door, particularly if you're the end house. Doesn't take away your public liability though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Which exactly is your house? Which number?

Some of the houses have a small green rectangle in front of them, you could put into that if in front of the house? stick cable under the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I wonder could you install a bracket carrying the wire out from your house and drop down directly to the car. That way it would be exclusive for your use and not cause a trip hazzard. Probably need planning though

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but am interested in EV but have On Street parking.

Have being considering something similar to that mentioned above in that a Swing Arm Bracket that can rotate over the car with the cable dropping down and be tied back up against the house during non charging?

Such swing arms are used in industry etc...

Any thoughts

Initial thought is that its going to look very ugly and depending on your specific setup that would need to be quite a long arm.

Will the neighbors be happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

KCross wrote: »
    Initial thought is that its going to look very ugly and depending on your specific setup that would need to be quite a long arm.

Will the neighbors be happy with it?

Hadn't thought about neighbour impact actually. and next question is would it require planning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Hadn't thought about neighbour impact actually. and next question is would it require planning

Technically yes it you could be discreet with the set up and try make the arm demountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

LFC Murphy wrote: »

I would imagine so. Satellite dishes are not permitted on the front elevation...

Advertisement