Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance (Ontario)

Options
  • 23-01-2018 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for feedback on car insurance in Ontario on an Irish license and/or Canadian license if swapped over. I understand its as outrageous as Ireland in terms of cost, but I'm wondering if anyone driving and if they are, what is it costing them?

My thought process is to drive a manual as its cheaper to buy to begin with, possibly offsetting a higher premium on the insurance.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

My mate pays around 80 per month. Not sure if that's CAD or EUR.

I've driven a lot in the States and I was glad for automatic because of the extra concentration of driving on the other side of the road etc. Also your gear stick would be a right hand shift, that be weird for me anyway. I'd be buying automatic no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

jme2010 wrote: »
    My mate pays around 80 per month. Not sure if that's CAD or EUR.

I've driven a lot in the States and I was glad for automatic because of the extra concentration of driving on the other side of the road etc. Also your gear stick would be a right hand shift, that be weird for me anyway. I'd be buying automatic no doubt.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've driven pretty extensively myself here and I'm a bit of a car guy hence the manual. That said, if it makes no difference to the premium, I may go auto. Just the purchase price can be considerably lower, 15 to 20% isn't uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm told that when you start off, $300-$400 isn't uncommon for insurance.

$300-$400 a month that is!

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm told that when you start off, $300-$400 isn't uncommon for insurance.

$300-$400 a month that is!

Yeah, it seems to be very high.

Is ex-pat insurance possible? i.e. Insured outside of Canada?

ironclaw wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to be very high.

Is ex-pat insurance possible? i.e. Insured outside of Canada?
    No, but some insurance companies are meant to take your no-claims into consideration if said letter is recent enough.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    No, but some insurance companies are meant to take your no-claims into consideration if said letter is recent enough.

Interesting. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

a bit off topic, but how straightforward is the driving license exchange in Ontario? I saw something somewhere about having to get a letter showing proof of driving experience from the government agency that issued the original license, which sounds like a pain in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

JonnyF wrote: »
    a bit off topic, but how straightforward is the driving license exchange in Ontario? I saw something somewhere about having to get a letter showing proof of driving experience from the government agency that issued the original license, which sounds like a pain in the neck.

It's not a pain in the neck - just call NDLS and they will issue the letter. Costs 15 euro.

thanks for that. will get right on it

Once you get the letter, goto 777 Bay Street, and bring the following;
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence
    take an eye test - don't think I had to do this, even though I have glasses
    bring original identification showing your legal name, date of birth and signature - passport; ensure you have it signed
    bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence* - the Irish license
    bring any original supporting documents that show proof of your driving experience - the letter from the NDLS
    pay the applicable fees - it's not much
    fill out an application form (where you will state how long you have been driving) - I got it there, and filled it out before queuing again

• Advertisement

Just curious why individuals would swap their Irish licenses for Canadian? You can drive a non-Canadian registered car for up to 12 months and you're immune to demerit points.

Just curious why individuals would swap their Irish licenses for Canadian? You can drive a non-Canadian registered car for up to 12 months and you're immune to demerit points.

You are obligated to swap your license within 60 days of taking up residence in Ontario.
    Any new resident with a driver's licence from another province or country must apply for an Ontario driver’s licence within 60 days.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

You are obligated to swap your license within 60 days of taking up residence in Ontario.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

Except, you're not a Canadian or Ontario resident under IEC or similar. You're a visitor for at least 12 months if not longer depending on your visa route. You have zero obligation to swap your license in 60 days as there are plenty of short-term projects, many of which I've done myself, that would require you to fly into Canada on work permits for more than 60 days, sometimes upwards of 6 months.

Except, you're not a Canadian or Ontario resident under IEC or similar. You're a visitor for at least 12 months if not longer depending on your visa route. You have zero obligation to swap your license in 60 days as there are plenty of short-term projects, many of which I've done myself, that would require you to fly into Canada on work permits for more than 60 days, sometimes upwards of 6 months.

If you are there under IEC you are not a visitor - you are a temporary resident.

another question, do you need a Canadian address to apply?
    I'd hope to try to get this very early, first week or so, when I'm most likely still staying with friends, as it will help for buying a car, opening bank accounts etc.

JonnyF wrote: »
    another question, do you need a Canadian address to apply?
    I'd hope to try to get this very early, first week or so, when I'm most likely still staying with friends, as it will help for buying a car, opening bank accounts etc.

I can't answer your question but you can open a bank account with your passport. Just be prepared to be levelled with fees, the banking system here is insane.

Advertisement