Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating third year

Options
  • 23-01-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm in third year but very young for my year and should be in second year I was wondering what's the story about repeating the year due to my age and educational purposes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Do transition year instead of repeating 3rd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

No point repeating third. All your friends will move forward. TY is the way to go. New experiences and you'll retain some of your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Billyfranks46

eeguy wrote: »
    No point repeating third. All your friends will move forward. TY is the way to go. New experiences and you'll retain some of your friends.

But would I be able to repeat if I wanted to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

But would I be able to repeat if I wanted to

Sure. You can repeat any year i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

The school might need permission from Dept of ed. It is hard to see circumstances in which repeating 3rd year would be better option than doing transition year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Crystalclare

I’m not in a position to advise you on repeating third year. I don’t know if it is even a viable option but totally agree with the people who have posted above doing transition Year is an option you should seriously look into. Wishing you all the best in what ever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Dept are very slow to allow anyone repeat a year at primary and almost never on age grounds so I would imagine it's similar or even harder at second level. They have to be because they are providing education tuition free and otherwise anyone could potentially stay indefinitely.
    I would do TY and if you are still young after leaving cert accept your college place if that's what you want to do, defer and do a plc for a year. It will give you an insight into 3rd level and a chance to mature fully before heading to college. Many people who have done this say it's the making of them especially if they weren't sure what they wanted to do in college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Waste of a year repeating third year. Do TY, or maybe you might use it as a repeat 6th Yr.

Advertisement