Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro lifers door to door

• 23-01-2018 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I had a visit from a couple of pro-lifers asking for support to keep the 8th amendment- has anyone else had the joy of these visitors?
    I’m in cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yes they posted a leaflet of some sort through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

No. But I've a Ring doorbell to tell them to go f*ck themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No. I used to get a lot but I put a note on the door saying everytime they call I make a donation to a pro choice charity. Works like a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No, but am hoping Youth Defence turn up. Would not be for an all out repeal myself, as do think there should be some sort of change in legislation, but these guys seem to be for all out no abortion full stop, at what ever cost to the unborn/mother/family, that its almost barbaric and cruel some of the things they propose, and would in my mind, love to get the chance to tell them that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Pro lifers who actively campaign are nutcases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

13a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks OP, a bucket of cold urine stands ready beside the upstairs window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I don't agree with them but I've better things to do than stand at my front door showboat arguing with people.

I just say no thanks and gently shut the door.

I have a vote and using it is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

Life or death?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pemay

Those silly little onions!

Calling to doors to distribute their side of the argument in the run-up to a national referendum, tch!!

They must not have gotten the memo: theyre supposed to sit at home and do nothing in order to satisfy the illusion of some people that there is a large section of society that don't agree with them!

Its a bloody disgrace. Wont ANYONE think of my personal validation!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

No matter what the viewpoint, people should be allowed campaign without the hatred and bile in some posts here,if you disagree,just say, no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    No, but am hoping Youth Defence turn up. Would not be for an all out repeal myself, as do think there should be some sort of change in legislation, but these guys seem to be for all out no abortion full stop, at what ever cost to the unborn/mother/family, that its almost barbaric and cruel some of the things they propose, and would in my mind, love to get the chance to tell them that.

Knock yourself out I suppose -

http://www.youthdefence.ie/contact-us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

There's nothing wrong with campaigning door to door im sure pro choice do the exact same just vote which way you want on the day you should already have made your mind up regardless.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Mr. O

Ask them do they eat eggs. Cause that's a chicken's abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

AnneFrank wrote: »
    No matter what the viewpoint, people should be allowed campaign without the hatred and bile in some posts here,if you disagree,just say, no thanks

There is wisdom in what you say under normal circumstances. But if someone knocks on my door to express their wish to force me to carry a fatal condition baby or to deny me treatment until I'm at risk of death myself... it's insulting to me and they will hear more than just no thanks political canvassers hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

AnneFrank wrote: »

It's called keyboard-warrior syndrome.
    99% of the people posting they would say or do X and Y to the pro-life campaigners, would probably just shy away when they answer the door with "we're fine thanks" and close the door.

Reminds of that Simpsons episode, Homer: "Then I said to her, KISS MY ASPHALT"

I've no problem with people campaigning, if that's all it was. I find some of the pro life callers, the younger ones and the women in particular, just want to get into an argument. If they could just take the No and move on grand but that's not how they tend to work.

Mr. O wrote: »

😂🀣

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've no problem with people campaigning, if that's all it was. I find some of the pro life callers, the younger ones and the women in particular, just want to get into an argument. If they could just take the No and move on grand but that's not how they tend to work.

The pro-choice campaigners are just as argumentative in my opinion. "You must hate women!" , and so on..

strandroad wrote: »
    There is wisdom in what you say under normal circumstances. But if someone knocks on my door to express their wish to force me to carry a fatal condition baby or to deny me treatment until I'm at risk of death myself... it's insulting to me and they will hear more than just no thanks political canvassers hear.

This! If I get some spouting bile and haterid at my door, they will get more that a a no thanks as well.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    This! If I get some spouting bile and haterid at my door, they will get more that a a no thanks as well.

Sure they will. Sure.

eviltwin wrote: »
    No. I used to get a lot but I put a note on the door saying everytime they call I make a donation to a pro choice charity. Works like a dream.

My believability-o-meter is shooting off the scales here.

Its lovely though, ohhhh.....ahhhh.....The validity of my belief is echoed right back at me by others who share the same opinion. If I shoot off a disparaging comment against "the others", my fellow puppies will gather round me and congratulate me on having a similar opinion. mmmmm......Its so warm and fuzzy, like when puppies fall asleep on top of each other in a pile.....dreamy....serotonin-release.....ahhhh.....das ist ecstase, nein?! Oh yahhhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Jim Ellis wrote: »
    It's called keyboard-warrior syndrome.
    99% of the people posting they would say or do X and Y to the pro-life campaigners, would probably just shy away when they answer the door with "we're fine thanks" and close the door.

Reminds of that Simpsons episode, Homer: "Then I said to her, KISS MY ASPHALT"

There were quite a few people debating prolifers when they descended on my town several months ago. Politely, especially as the prolifers seemed to be mostly OAPs and a few yonger women, but definitely debating. Refusing or returning leaflets too. I found it surprising, I expected a quiet pass as well but no.

Sure they will. Sure.

In fairness, I have listened to a Youth Defence presentation where they proposed Hospice Care, in cases where BOTH the mother and unborn may not survive child birth, this is how anti abortion they are. Now in my opinion, that is barbaric and cruel, and whilst I am not for abortions for everyone, there is exceptional circumstances where there it should be allowed, and there should be an allowance for change in legislation to do so.

Now more than likely, if they did turn up at my door, I would more than likely say thanks but no thanks, and politely close the door. But if they were to engage me, or force agenda or thoughts similar to above, then I am not sure I could keep as quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Mr. O wrote: »

Go back to biology - eggs are actually a chicken's period

pemay wrote: »
    My believability-o-meter is shooting off the scales here.

Its lovely though, ohhhh.....ahhhh.....The validity of my belief is echoed right back at me by others who share the same opinion. If I shoot off a disparaging comment against "the others", my fellow puppies will gather round me and congratulate me on having a similar opinion. mmmmm......Its so warm and fuzzy, like when puppies fall asleep on top of each other in a pile.....dreamy....serotonin-release.....ahhhh.....das ist ecstase, nein?! Oh yahhhhh!

It's not a rude note, it's been there since the marriage referendum. Tbh the car in the drive that they have to pass to ring the doorbell has two massive Repeal stickers on the windscreen. If they can't take that message what do they expect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Those silly little onions!

Calling to doors to distribute their side of the argument in the run-up to a national referendum, tch!!

They must not have gotten the memo: theyre supposed to sit at home and do nothing in order to satisfy the illusion of some people that there is a large section of society that don't agree with them!

Its a bloody disgrace. Wont ANYONE think of my personal validation!!

Anybody knocking on my door can fcuk off. My mother doesn't knock on my door without advance notice.

Anybody knocking on my door can fcuk off. My mother doesn't knock on my door without advance notice.

She usually just suprises me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't want anyone calling at my door in the evening.

Because equality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

The pro-choice campaigners are just as argumentative in my opinion. "You must hate women!" , and so on..

It takes a certain type of person to travel door to door and try to change peoples minds.

You get them from both sides. Just say that your mind is made up and close the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

eeguy wrote: »
    It takes a certain type of person to travel door to door and try to change peoples minds.

You get them from both sides. Just say that your mind is made up and close the door.

Dress up as Gandalf and shout at the repealers "you shall not pass"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Ah, I see the "pro-choice" herd are showing their progressive tolerance again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

peckerhead wrote: »
    Thanks OP, a bucket of cold urine stands ready beside the upstairs window.

A container of semen would probably be more appropriate, something for the pro-lifers to try and save.

Or ask if they accept donations... if they say yes, give them the container.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This thread is an abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Go back to biology - eggs are actually a chicken's period

You cant beat a bit of chicken period and toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They have a right to campaign if they want, some people act as if they would like to live in a censored society.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    A container of semen would probably be more appropriate, something for the pro-lifers to try and save.

Or ask if they accept donations... if they say yes, give them the container.

Yesss, yesssssssss! Channel your inner hatred! Unleash your true POWWWAHH!!!!

Teach these filthy irish people a lesson they'll never forget! Never again shall they dare have a different opinion than you, for you shall jeer and mock them to their faces and drive them into the night like the wretches they are!

Only then will you be truly free to turn your attention to less important things in the world, like starving children and war and slavery!

Serious: this is the result of a society with "nothing to do". All warrior like and righteous and enabled and powerful.........just so long as its something piffling that happens to be on their doorstep and is super easy to accomplish and super easy to feel good about. The social progressives of a brave new (micro) world, huzzah!

RobertKK wrote: »
    They have a right to campaign if they want, some people act as if they would like to live in a censored society.

No, they just want to censor those who dont agree with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 dubstar69

I wish I had the drive and enthusiasm these people have, for a cause, or for anything. I'm actually envious of them to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm always amused by the antics here whenever there's an election or referendum. People canvas. They obviously care enough to do it. I certainly would never do it. All this BS about how people will respond to them if they have the gall to knock on their doors is farcical. No matter who they are (whether they espouse my own view or not) I just take whatever their literature is, tell them I have my mind made up already and politely close the door. It has never failed to end the encounter in about 30seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Yesss, yesssssssss! Channel your inner hatred! Unleash your true POWWWAHH!!!!

Teach these filthy irish people a lesson they'll never forget! Never again shall they dare have a different opinion than you, for you shall jeer and mock them to their faces and drive them into the night like the wretches they are!

In fairness any "cold callers" to my doorstep get a cold reception, calling to my home uninvited to recite a marketing script or in this case to attempt to preach their views on morality. Leave that to the hypocritical priests, who are pro-life but took a vow of celibacy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

spakman wrote: »
    Ah, I see the "pro-choice" herd are showing their progressive tolerance again!

Yeah! Screw them people who want control over their own bodies. Flaming cheek of them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

No, they just want to censor those who dont agree with them.

Says the one who wanted the abortion story thread shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It's those pro-life travellers who are on the dole and who have also converted to islam.

I blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dev84 wrote: »
    She usually just suprises me

:D:D Brilliant :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 dubstar69

Am I the only person who wouldn't answer the door if someone is there? Not that I've had someone knock on my door since I bought my house a couple of years ago, and I'm in a built up area in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Your Face wrote: »
    This thread is an abortion.

Given the amount of new-regs and one ban out already I'd imagine there's gonna be a few more abortions in here.

Says the one who wanted the abortion story thread shut down

To an appropriate forum. Posters can discuss how they aborted their babies there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

They have an opinion, which I don't agree with. As long as they don't ear bash me, let them on. I don't entertain any cold callers to my door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

dubstar69 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who wouldn't answer the door if someone is there? Not that I've had someone knock on my door since I bought my house a couple of years ago, and I'm in a built up area in Dublin.

Depends on the time of day. Post man knocks on the door sometimes in the morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement