Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro lifers door to door

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Fair play to them I wish I had the courage and conviction to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

To an appropriate forum. Posters can discuss how they aborted their babiesfoetus there.

Fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

vicwatson wrote: »
    Fyp

Edgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'd treat them the way I treat jehovas witnesses....
    Keep them talking and teach them something about what they came to preach about and hope they go away rethinking their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Dev84 wrote: »
    Pro lifers who actively campaign are nutcases.

Pro-choicer here, full disclosure. I don’t have much of a problem with this type of canvassing. During the marriage referendum lead up, both Yes and No campaigners went door to door throughout the country. I’ll just politely send away pro-life campaigners if they knock on my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pemay

Yeah! Screw them people who want control over their own bodies. Flaming cheek of them!

Yeah! Who are they to take responsibility for unprotected sex, I ask you?!

There is that stupefying low chance of getting pregnant while using contraceptives........so that near negligible percent chance (cos I have no time to use more than 1 contraceptive at a time, cos I'm not THAT serious about not being pregnant) is more than enough reason to drag the entire country into a debate that will fill it with hatred and division, you know, cos....

.....someday I might have to take personal responsibility, and theres no way in hell that's happening, jack!!

"control over my own body" = "avoid responsibility for my poor life decisions"

exceptional and extraordinary cases notwithstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Called to my door a couple of months ago. Handed me a leaflet and told me they wanted to be sure everyone was fully informed on the facts about the proposed referendum. Asked me if I had any questions. I took the leaflet and said thanks. They left. I closed my door and went back to watching tv. Not sure why people want to make it such a big deal. Just be polite and they'll leave and you can throw the material out if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in the country side and we have gates so we don't often get callers from any side of a referendum.
    If I'm being entirely honest those who I see online from both sides of this campaign are nearly all types highly invested are people you'd cross the road to avoid.
    I know during the marriage referendum a few people campaigned for a Yes vote. They complained about getting the door slammed in their faces. I found out that if people asked why should I vote yes the answer the group was told to give was vote with me or because I said so.
    If I do encounter anybody from campaigning for this referendum I'll be polite to them and take their leaflet and put it in the fire/bin no matter what side there on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

To an appropriate forum. Posters can discuss how they aborted their babies there.

Do you do that with all threads you have no personal experience of and feel you can't partake in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

pemay wrote: »

There is that stupefying low chance of getting pregnant while using contraceptives........so that near negligible percent chance (cos I have no time to use more than 1 contraceptive at a time, cos I'm not THAT serious about not being pregnant) is more than enough reason to drag the entire country into a debate that will fill it with hatred and division, you know, cos....

.....someday I might have to take personal responsibility, and theres no way in hell that's happening, jack!!

As per usual, the "pro-life" mask slips to reveal the "dirty sluts" face of a lot of "pro lifers" :)

No. Control over my own body = taking responsibility.

Do you do that with all threads you have no personal experience of and feel you can't partake in?

enjoy derailing threads do you? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Called to my door a couple of months ago. Handed me a leaflet and told me they wanted to be sure everyone was fully informed on the facts about the proposed referendum. Asked me if I had any questions. I took the leaflet and said thanks. They left. I closed my door and went back to watching tv. Not sure why people want to make it such a big deal. Just be polite and they'll leave and you can throw the material out if you want.

That's what most people do - if they'll admit to it rather than trying to come across as edgy here. It's the simplest and most polite way to deal with it.

As per usual, the "pro-life" mask slips to reveal the "dirty sluts" face of a lot of pro lifers :)

You don't have to be a dirty slut to make poor decisions in your sex life. You could be a virgin and still make stupid decisions. Shows where your thoughts run to.

And this may be a killer blow to your sensitivities, but that includes women AND men!!

Woahhh!!! mind-blowing, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

During the last election, I had a canvasser for PbP at my door. Young student type. When I said I had already decided who would be getting my vote, she said that because I didn't want to vote for her lot, then I obviously didn't care about the children who would be sleeping on the street that night (with quite some venom, I might add). I told her that of course I do, but I believed my choices would be a better outcome for those children. She snatched her leaflet out of my hand and said she wouldn't waste the paper. As she headed for the gate, I told her I'd pass on everything she said to the other voters in the house, but unfortunately, they wouldn't be able to read her leaflet now.

I always take the leaflets, from no matter whom, and read them at my leisure later. Sometimes I engage with the canvassers, if only to give them feedback - perhaps I'm about to swing and a small policy adjustment might win me over. Or not, but they'll never know if I don't tell them. Nicely.

As for the current topic, its my belief that neither side has a monopoly on being right. Its simply a societal choice. I will try to say which way I'm going to vote, and why. I've already heard all the arguments, so whoever comes to my door won't be persuading me either way. I'm quite prepared to say all this to them, and even to listen to their arguments. But the second anyone tells me I'm wrong, they'll be invited to leave.Nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Went canvassing door to door for yes in the Marriage equality campaign and had a 99% brilliant response and reaction. But then you realise people will say anything to get you to piss off and usually the quickest way to do that is to agree and buy whatever they’re selling pardon the pun.

The few negative reactions I got though, Jesus.. imagine someone calmly opening their door, you tell them why you’re knocking, and them suddenly exploding at you all verbal abuse and get the fvck out of here and in a few cases roaring bible quotes at you.
    There are a lot truly mental / ‘fundamental beliefs’ people out there.

I can’t imagine anyone canvassing for pro life are gonna have an easy time of it in urban areas especially. And fvck em anyways.inyerfering with women’s wombs AND your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

As per usual, the "pro-life" mask slips to reveal the "dirty sluts" face of a lot of "pro lifers" :)

Honestly, why are you bothering to respond to Mr. Low Post Count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ignore. Look who you're dealing with and don't rise to it.

enjoy derailing threads do you? :rolleyes:

My point was very relevant to your post about trying to censor others, when you yourself tried to do it. Pot kettle and all that. Oh...let me just rolleyes too :rolleyes:

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Honestly, why are you bothering to respond to Mr. Low Post Count?

Youre absolutely right. Not having reached the sanctified number of posts means my words morph into unintelligible gibberish with no point to be made at all and can therefore be safely ignored.

Good catch, it was a close one!

• Advertisement

My point was very relevant to your post about trying to censor others, when you yourself tried to do it. Pot kettle and all that. Oh...let me just rolleyes too :rolleyes:

Oh jes, thats me told. Completely off topic, and pure BS of post. Had valid reasons, dont like it, talk to a mod or create your own feedback. Start your own thread maybe. Zero relevance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Hey re-reg troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hey re-reg troll.

Always amusing how its people from that side who get banned and have to re-reg :D

Oh jes, thats me told. Completely off topic, and pure BS of post. Had valid reasons, dont like it, talk to a mod or create your own feedback. Start your own thread maybe. Zero relevance here.

My liking it or otherwise has nothing to do with it. You made a comment about censorship of a particular point of view. I made reference to when you tried to do similar. Full relevance here.

Ignore. Look who you're dealing with and don't rise to it.

Rise to what, a valid point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Always amusing how its people from that side who get banned and have to re-reg :D

Yeah you might want to think a little deeper on that one.....wait for the penny to drop.....annny second now.......

I've never been banned on this website. If I popped in some fact like e=mc2, would you be able to ignore the reality of that fact because you've found some roundabout way to disengage that too?

Course you would.

My liking it or otherwise has nothing to do with it. You made a comment about censorship of a particular point of view. I made reference to when you tried to do similar. Full relevance here.

Different thread. I make it clear i didnt want the thread closed but moved to another forum. But feel free to leave that out for your own agenda. You wont silence me dude. But keep trying. Two thumbs up. Zero relevance, once again. And not here. Keep digging.

Hey re-reg troll.

hello, fellow anonymous internet stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I only get canvassers for political elections, not referendums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭manonboard

I'm glad that pro choicer and pro lifers both feel safe enough to canvas. Its a wonderful aspect of our society. One which many previous generations never had. Its a honor to witness.
    I don't always have time to discuss with people, or sometimes i've already looked into the topic alot myself and find it an easy decision.
    However, Its always important to listen to views we disagree with if the reason we don't want to listen is to disagree. If they are absurd, a couple of minutes of politeness is a small price to pay.

I've always been pretty pro choice, however with quite conservative limitations, after much discussion with less conservative people, I came around to seeing the mistakes and ignorance i had in my decision.

I'd suggest anyone go hang out in the Secular Pro life group on facebook. They have wonderful discussions there, and some of the questions they bring to you(me) as a pro choicer, REALLY stump me. Very clear i still have contradicting logic in my choice, and its a matter of emotional attachment for me. I simply seem care far more about things that look more human, than things that dont. Even if i believe in my heart both are human. Fascinating thing to reveal to oneself.

No. Control over my own body = taking responsibility.

no reason to exercise responsibility = no need for control over my own body

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

manonboard wrote: »
    I'm glad that pro choicer and pro lifers both feel safe enough to canvas. Its a wonderful aspect of our society. One which many previous generations never had. Its a honor to witness.
    I don't always have time to discuss with people, or sometimes i've already looked into the topic alot myself and find it an easy decision.
    However, Its always important to listen to views we disagree with if the reason we don't want to listen is to disagree. If they are absurd, a couple of minutes of politeness is a small price to pay.

I've always been pretty pro choice, however with quite conservative limitations, after much discussion with less conservative people, I came around to seeing the mistakes and ignorance in decision.

I'd suggest anyone go hang out in the Secular Pro life group on facebook. They have wonderful discussions there, and some of the questions they bring to you(me) as a pro choicer, REALLY stump me. Very clear i still have contradicting logic in my choice, and its a matter of emotional attachment for me. I simply seem care far more about things that look more human, than things that dont. Even if i believe in my heart both are human. Fascinating thing to reveal to oneself.

Great post. I'm on the other side of the debate (pro-life or anti-choice depending on your viewpoint albeit with caveats) but agree with pretty much everything you've written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

david75 wrote: »
    Went canvassing door to door for yes in the Marriage equality campaign and had a 99% brilliant response and reaction. But then you realise people will say anything to get you to piss off and usually the quickest way to do that is to agree and buy whatever they’re selling pardon the pun.

The few negative reactions I got though, Jesus.. imagine someone calmly opening their door, you tell them why you’re knocking, and them suddenly exploding at you all verbal abuse and get the fvck out of here and in a few cases roaring bible quotes at you.
    There are a lot truly mental / ‘fundamental beliefs’ people out there.

I can’t imagine anyone canvassing for pro life are gonna have an easy time of it in urban areas especially. And fvck em anyways.inyerfering with women’s wombs AND your dinner.

I had the pro lifers here recently. We had a heated discussion and at the end they thanked me for being so polite! they said they were getting abuse at most doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I dunno what the problem is really. If you get them posting a leaflet through the door, if you don't want to read, bin it, maybe get a junk mail label. If they knock on the door, tell them you're not interested. If they harass you and try to enter the house, thats probably the time to call the Garda. Otherwise, whose bothered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it is like they are calling to peoples houses to educate people on what the referendum means, like we are all so dumb we need them to tell us how to vote. clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find most people are fairly set they way they are going to vote already and I can't really see it changing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I personally cannot wait

how can they be campaigning when they don't know what the question will be on the ballot paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

mark_jmc wrote: »
    I had a visit from a couple of pro-lifers asking for support to keep the 8th amendment- has anyone else had the joy of these visitors?
    I’m in cork

So, what do you usually say to canvassers that you don’t agree with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

splinter65 wrote: »
    So, what do you usually say to canvassers that you don’t agree with?
    Nothing..I don't answer the door.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've no problem with people campaigning, if that's all it was. I find some of the pro life callers, the younger ones and the women in particular, just want to get into an argument. If they could just take the No and move on grand but that's not how they tend to work.

I politely told a pro choice man on the street ( he got my attention by pulling my sleeve) that I didn’t want the leaflet he was pressing me with and he turned to my 20 year old daughter and said “ how do you feel that your mother doesn’t trust you?”.

Nothing..I don't answer the door.

So...why did you answer the door this time?..and if you didn’t....what’s your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Youre absolutely right. Not having reached the sanctified number of posts means my words morph into unintelligible gibberish with no point to be made at all and can therefore be safely ignored.

Good catch, it was a close one!

No morphing required. You're trying far too hard.

Yeah you might want to think a little deeper on that one.....wait for the penny to drop.....annny second now.......

I've never been banned on this website. If I popped in some fact like e=mc2, would you be able to ignore the reality of that fact because you've found some roundabout way to disengage that too?

Course you would.

Gibberish.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    A container of semen would probably be more appropriate, something for the pro-lifers to try and save.

Or ask if they accept donations... if they say yes, give them the container.

^^^^^^
    This is what the Repeal people need to worry about .

I'm always amused by the antics here whenever there's an election or referendum. People canvas. They obviously care enough to do it. I certainly would never do it. All this BS about how people will respond to them if they have the gall to knock on their doors is farcical. No matter who they are (whether they espouse my own view or not) I just take whatever their literature is, tell them I have my mind made up already and politely close the door. It has never failed to end the encounter in about 30seconds.

I’m the same. Smile politely. I say “Thank you for calling”. Close the door. Back on the sofa in 35 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Two or three cars with repeal stickers on them have had windscreens and rear windows smashed in this past week.

You can just see them all boiling over with rage after repeated door slamming in their faces and taking it out where they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I’m the same. Smile politely. I say “Thank you for calling”. Close the door. Back on the sofa in 35 seconds.

why would you thank them for calling?:confused:

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why would you thank them for calling?:confused:

It’s a quick polite way of terminating a conversation. There’s very very rarely any need to be rude to strangers, or anything to be gained from being rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

How about we reverse the tables: if you're so bloody pushy about converting people to your way of thinking, you are happy to have your name added to a register with your address and your "side". Then, people who wish to discuss with you can call to YOUR house in the middle of YOUR dinner or while YOU'RE putting the kids to bed, and discuss at will.

Bet that'd be a very very small list.

That said, I'd have no problem at all with them calling Mon-Fri between 9 and 5. But they fcukin don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

It’s a quick polite way of terminating a conversation. There’s very very rarely any need to be rude to strangers, or anything to be gained from being rude.
    On the other hand, if you call to my house, unbidden, to peddle whatever horseshlt it is you're selling, disturbing my peace, relaxation, dinner etc, then don't be surprised if I'm less than welcoming. You've interrupted me for no good reason, you can f right off. I won't even open the porch, just point at the no canvassing sign by the bell and close the hall door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement