Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce driver issue

Options
  • 23-01-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭

I recently received a GTX960 for one of my Folding@Home rigs (a..k.a. my heating in the colder months). Its on a board with a Q6600 running Win7x64. Works but only @VGA res,not detected by F@H client for CUDA. DeviceManager tells me its VID 10DE PID 1409, "Standard VGA graphics adapter"
    pcidatabase.com seems to have disappeared :mad: but another site gives me
    1401 GM206 [GeForce GTX 960]
    1402 GM206 [GeForce GTX 950]
    1406 GM206 [GeForce GTX 960 OEM]
    1407 GM206 [GeForce GTX 750 v2]
    as the closest PIDs
    I have tried the correct and most recent driver from Nvidia site, but it says "No compatible hardware found"

GPU-Z knows its a nvidia, but no more

On boot, it shows GTX960 and some other text before the main BIOS

Might it be a power issue? I have a Y connector going to 2 Molex powering the card by 6pin plug. There's only 1 IDE HDD, and it has a 500W PSU.

Any suggestions please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it possibly one of those counterfeit Chinese cards? Common on Ebay, cheap crap cards flashed with custom roms to make them 'look' like other cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Looks like it is. Feckers. Here's the listing
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GTX960-4GB-GDDR5-128Bit-PCI-Express-Game-Video-Card-Graphics-for-GeForce/253271032153?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

has different output ports to some images I found just now, ie just VGA/DVI/HDMI, others had DVI/DP/3xHDMI

Yep, fake. They're usually based around really old chips like GT240 or similar, eg effectively useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Does GPU-Z's results depend on having the right driver? The seller had a GPU-Z pic in his listing, it didn't match mine. Couldn't read the included driver disk either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Does GPU-Z's results depend on having the right driver? The seller had a GPU-Z pic in his listing, it didn't match mine. Couldn't read the included driver disk either.

Just try to get your money back tbh.

bonzodog2 wrote: »

It is 100% a fake card. GPU-Z will tell you it's a GTX 'whatever' but the actual chip it's based on should be accurate I think.

Just file a claim on paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

File a claim and report the seller
    Then go on a crusade and find all the other guys selling those fake cards and report them

Man I would be pissed...but at least you have PayPal protection

Full refund after I refused an offer of a 35% refund. Yay. :D

The scam has been going on for years, I'd say Ebay/Paypal are well used to it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement