Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student going to Canada Summer 2018

• 23-01-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi I am looking for information on going to Canada for the summer of this year. I know I need to apply for the 2 year working visa but I'm wondering who is the best company to get this through. What price would this all come to? Any help would be appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Your looking for the IEC Visa which is a 2 year work permit. Don't use a company. Apply yourself directly on the website. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

It costs around €150 and you'll need a medical IF you work in health care related fields for €300.

That's all. Takes around 2 months until you have a letter granting a 2 year visa when you enter.

1510777587562.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

jme2010 wrote: »
    Your looking for the IEC Visa which is a 2 year work permit. Don't use a company. Apply yourself directly on the website. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

It costs around €150 and you'll need a medical IF you work in health care related fields for €300.

That's all. Takes around 2 months until you have a letter granting a 2 year visa when you enter.

Thank you very much for that information. Companies were all coming across so expensive as they were trying to add in costs for information I didn't need. Did even think to apply directly!

Just as a second question how would you suggest finding accommodation and a job? There's only two of us looking for a place so how do you go about finding others to share with?

jimbob1255 wrote: »
    Just as a second question how would you suggest finding accommodation and a job? There's only two of us looking for a place so how do you go about finding others to share with?

The way I'll be doing it is booking in to a motel which will be a bit nicer than a hostel and cheaper than airbnb/hotel for 3-4 weeks.

During that time I'd be scouring the rentals trying for a 2 bed apartment to rent. Visit the local equivalent of daft.ie in Canada to find the prices.

I've seen as low as $900 CAD per month for 1 beds and as low as $1200 CAD for 2 bed which is around €580 and €780 for rent (unreal isn't it?)

Bring enough to last you x amount of time then double it to be safe. I think my mate brought over €5K which gets you $7.5K+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thank you very much for that information. Companies were all coming across so expensive as they were trying to add in costs for information I didn't need. Did even think to apply directly!

If you are just staying for the summer, then check out the local universities. They rent out dorm rooms during the summer months.

For jobs, it depends what you want to do. Nothing beats being on the ground though so you may not have much success until you get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Students will sublet their (furnished) rooms over the summer. Unfurnished is the norm here in Toronto.

If coming to Toronto, do the Smart Serve. You can do it online from abroad. It'll allow you to work in pubs, etc. Having it before you come will allow you to work in pubs quicker. Once you do land, get a Canadian number and a SIN (Canada version of PPS) ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JahRama

For jobs I would highly recommend Revelstoke Mountain Resort for the summer. You can interview via Skype and receive a job offer pending your visa approval. They have the only
    Mountain Coaster if it’s kind in North America and fabulous hiking and mountain biking trails. Full time work is available in various departments. You can apply on their website or by emailing guestservices_revelstoke@suttonplace.com

Thanks everyone for that information. Will look into all ye said!

the_syco wrote: »
    Students will sublet their (furnished) rooms over the summer. Unfurnished is the norm here in Toronto.

If coming to Toronto, do the Smart Serve. You can do it online from abroad. It'll allow you to work in pubs, etc. Having it before you come will allow you to work in pubs quicker. Once you do land, get a Canadian number and a SIN (Canada version of PPS) ASAP.

what exactly is the Smart Serve and is it only in Toronto this is for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

what exactly is the Smart Serve and is it only in Toronto this is for?

Smart Serve is basically a cert that allows you to serve alcohol in Ontario. It only applies to Ontario, it's not valid anywhere else in Canada afaik (other provinces have their own program). Without Smart Serve, you can't work in any establishment that serves alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

If you want to experience true Canada , look at Banff, AB. Just came back from 18 months there. Your in the middle of the Rockies and is always looking for staff in the hotels, which provide staff accommodation. Truly a stunning area

Advertisement