Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with virtualbox gaming.

• 23-01-2018 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone.

so its like this. i made the mistake of buying a pc just recently to play some old games on.
    i was told to get a modern pc that came with windows 10, install Oracle VM VirtualBox, install windows xp on it, and then install the games. sounded easy enough.
    with my brothers help i got that far, apart from the getting the games to work part.
    i am extremely tired of trying and failing, and am now thinking of trying to hire someone who really knows what they are doing.
    the games are all from early 00's and should be perfect for windows xp, but so far i have met with complete failure. the games are as follows

operation flashpoint 1 goty
    thief 2
    command and conquer the first decade.

if anyone could point me in the right direction to finding some real help with this, i am prepared to pay up as i say, within reason.
    prepared to travel, i live near Dublin.

thanks for reading.
    Dean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is it a case that you already have these games on disk and are unable to install and play them on Win 10?

Thief 2 can be bought on Steam and the C&C can be bought on Origin but may still need patches (unofficial?) to get some of the middle games to work
    Op Flash again may work on 10 but look for solutions or patches

this is part of the fun of being a PC gamer trying to get older games to work on modern systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I have a copy of Arma: Cold War Assault which is what Operation Flashpoint was renamed to:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65790/

It's sitting in my steam inventory and I've never activated it. Just send me a private message with your steam ID and I can gift it to you, then you can try that on your current windows system without virtualbox. I had a quick google and it looks like getting older directx games to work with newer cards in virtualbox is a bit of a pain but I'm sure a few people here would be up for the challenge or could suggest alternatives.

Your best bet for starters would be to list your current system specs like your current version of windows, CPU and graphics card.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know there are new games too, right? :D Seems mad that someone would buy a PC to play 10+ year old games...

Have you tried running any of them in compatibility mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cawd!

thanks everyone for your help. and thanks especially jumbo breakfast,
    very generous offer. actually cold war assault i managed to get working shortly after.

cheers everyone
    Dean

• Advertisement
Advertisement