Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axa-fully comp is not fully comp-beware

Options
  • 23-01-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Got quote for fully comp motor insurance with Axa, was happy with it so paid up. Got letter in post with details which said that personal injury was not included. When I queried it Axa told me that I would be covered by another driver's insurance in the event of being hit, when I asked the simple question what if I skidded on road (say ice) and hit a wall, is personal injury covered and answer was no, car damage is covered but any injury to me is not. This is supposed to be fully comprehensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Every insurer only offers basic personal accident for the policyholder. You have a misunderstanding of what comprehensive cover is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, would you care to tell us which insurance companies do provide the type of cover you're looking for under the umbrella of 'fully comp'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Over the years I have regarded the worn out expression of "fully comprehensive" as being something of a tautology.

Comprehensive cover usually means third party, fire and theft upgraded to include "own damage" cover for the insured vehicle. Thereafter, what you actually get seems to be whatever is in the particular "comprehensive" package offered by any particular insurer.

Not all comprehensive policies are the same and OP is right to beware ! That is also why customers really and truly need to check that the particular product they intend to buy is actually suitable for their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

In fairness I always presumed fully comp also included any injuries to myself as well as damage to my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Comprehensive - TP, F&T inc accidental damage to insureds vehicle

(TP) Third party is compensated for Damage to their vehicle /property and injury inc fatalities
    Cased by the driver of the car
    (Ie.. innocent TP can sue driver for their injuries)
    (F&T)
    Fire damage caused to insureds car , subject damage not done by insured or family members
    Theft or attempted theft caused by forced entry to insureds car - payment by insured for Market price less excess , if applies.

Accidental damage caused to insureds car when not caused by other people (ie.. crashed by owner or listed driver) - excess between €150-€500 applies for drivers age 25+ / drivers under 25 May be higher depends on policy type
    (Ie.. if insured or their listed drivers crash own car & injured they can’t sue themselves thus why only small medical cover might be in place
    ‘Injury to driver ‘benefits is an optional benefits that every insurance company will sell separately at an extra cost(average €30 but pays out small €€
    Normally health or life cover has compensated funds for the injured person and ye pay €1000’s for that covers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

You cannot sue yourself OP, it’s funny how people take out comprehensive policies and they literally think it entitles them to whatever they like.

Sono wrote: »
    You cannot sue yourself OP, it’s funny how people take out comprehensive policies and they literally think it entitles them to whatever they like.

Nobody is talking about the driver suing the driver, people just seem to think that a personal accident policy is an integral part of fully comp. when in most cases it is not, only accidental damage to your own car is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

Op here. Surely the average person on the street would have assumed that if they accidentally skid on the road and hit a tree and injure themselves the "comprehensive" insurance would cover that injury. Obviously not from posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

roytheboyo wrote: »
    Op here. Surely the average person on the street would have assumed that if they accidentally skid on the road and hit a tree and injure themselves the "comprehensive" insurance would cover that injury. Obviously not from posts above.

Really? I would never have assumed that. I always assume it would cover a pedestrian or people in another car that I hit in an accident, but not myself as the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Skatedude wrote:
    Really? I would never have assumed that. I always assume it would cover a pedestrian or people in another car that I hit in an accident, but not myself as the driver.

And people in your own car if you were the cause of the accident

• Advertisement

roytheboyo wrote: »
    Skatedude wrote: »

The 'comprehensive' part of the policy doesn't cover pedestrians or damage to other cars, they're all covered under third party. Fully comp. involves topping up a bare bones third party policy (the legal minimum) with a comprehensive element which covers accidental damage to your own car but not personal injury to the driver.

Most companies offer personal accident as an extra but this typically involves a schedule of benefits (fixed amounts of money) for specific injuries and the money involved is nowhere near what you would get in a third party claim against another driver for the same injuries.

Advertisement