Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brighton Marathon 2018

Options
  • 24-01-2018 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Anybody running Brighton Marathon this year? Last time I ran a marathon was 2007 in Dublin and it didn't go to plan.
    Decided to jump back in after a club mate recommended this one.
    Course looks fairly flat, so could be a fast one?
    Anybody ran it before with any advise.
    Cheers Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Depending on your luck, it can be very hot. I am volunteering down there this year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

ISOP wrote: »
    Depending on your luck, it can be very hot. I am volunteering down there this year

Yeah I believe last year was very hot alright and it doesn't help it that they have moved the start time to 9:45am.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Yes and really looking forward to it, my second ever marathon, I caught the bug after DCM in October. Started my training today, Pfitzinger 12/55, although I'm doing 11/55 as it's 11 weeks away.

If it's really hot I won't be chasing a PB but am looking forward to taking part, followed by a couple of days recovering with pints and chips on Brighton beachfront.

conti wrote: »
    Yes and really looking forward to it, my second ever marathon, I caught the bug after DCM in October. Started my training today, Pfitzinger 12/55, although I'm doing 11/55 as it's 11 weeks away.

If it's really hot I won't be chasing a PB but am looking forward to taking part, followed by a couple of days recovering with pints and chips on Brighton beachfront.

Yeah it's a pity they changed the start time to 9:45. If it's hot it's gonna be a tough day. Looking forward to the pints afterward too!!

3 weeks tomorrow folks!! How's the training going? Weather like today would be absolutely perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Current PB 3:16:20 (DCM 17)
    Target: Sub 3:15 (if weather was suitable)
    Result: 3:21:41

Didn't get the result I wanted but enjoyed it all the same. I was well trained for it but had feck all sleep in the days leading up to it, ended up on my feet with my travel baggage for too long at the expo (couldn't check into AirBnB until later in the day) and I ballsed up my nutrition strategy; took too many gels as an act of desperation and paid for it with stomach cramps that left unable to breathe properly. It was infuriating because I had great energy levels and legs were in good shape to do a good 5km finish, but inhaling deep breaths was agony! It was walk/run intervals and grasping on to my ribcage while I was overtaken by the 3:15 pacers.

It was hot but not for the whole thing, there was a nice sea breeze that made for ideal conditions but I was unable to take advantage.

Even though I was 5 mins behind PB I still feel like I was more marathon-ready than than my first one last October, had no issues with feet or calves, got the odd hamstring cramp but am used to shaking them off or stretching and getting back into the race, and back/core were fine which used to hurt on longs runs.

Going to take a few days break, do some training for some shorter races over the summer then ambitiously train for a sub 3:10 for Longford marathon in August. Think I'm going to shop around for alternatives to energy gels too!

I've booked in for Brighton next year, they had discount guaranteed entries on the day. Any excuse to hang out here...

Advertisement