Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes not accepting clubcards stored electronically on the phone.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Supermarkets can be slow in Ireland to adopt new tech, But in this case it can also be to stop people taking advantage of the points system.

The club card is simply a customer number, it adds points to your account which is stored on the supermarkets database, NO INFORMATION IS STORED ON THE CARD OR APP. But you can easily share the card with friends, but you only have one card to share, With the app, you can in theory, screenshot the app page and share that card with many friends who can then add points to YOUR account. That is what they dont want to happen.

But the supermarkets do need to move with the times and electronic payments using phones will continue to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not true, they give you three cards when you sign up. If other people effectively choose to give you their points there is a gain for you, a loss to them, but it makes no difference either way to Dunnes.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I hadn't realised Android pay had this feature - I've added my Dunnes and SuperValu barcodes, but when I add the Tesco clubcard, it just asks for the number and there's no option to add a barcode. Has anyone got this working?

Tesco's own app doesn't even store the bloody barcode for use at the till, even though you can scan it in for online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

loyatemu wrote: »
    I hadn't realised Android pay had this feature - I've added my Dunnes and SuperValu barcodes, but when I add the Tesco clubcard, it just asks for the number and there's no option to add a barcode. Has anyone got this working?
    This is a problem in the UK as well according to forums. It's impossible to add the barcode. Tesco need to sort it out with Android Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭guza81

I've got an answer from Dunnes on facebook:

"Hi xxxxxxxxx, Thank you for contacting Dunnes Stores customer service, currently we are required to have customers provide the physical VALUEclub card in store in order to obtain VALUEclub points, if you do not have your VALUEclub card with you at the time of transaction you can bring your receipt to any Customer Service desk within 14 days of your purchase and the points will be added to your account. I hope this clears up the matter for you and apologies for any inconvenience caused Regards xxxxx Customer Service."

No answer to the question.
    A Secret.

• Advertisement

From Dunnes on android pay:

"We accept both Apple and Android Pay as a method of payment in stores, we have a limit of €30 for both."

Great they support it, disappointing that only 30€.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

30 limit is the norm for contactless, until the phone is better able to prove the holder is the owner it should be treated the same as a contactless card

L1011 wrote: »
    30 limit is the norm for contactless, until the phone is better able to prove the holder is the owner it should be treated the same as a contactless card

This norm is for cards and not android pay.
    With android pay you can pay up to 30 by only waking your phone up. And to pay more than that you have to unlock your phone, "prove the holder is the owner" like you said.

That's why having a screen lock activated is a requirement for android pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Allowing the checkout staff to scan a mobile phone would require someone to make a decision, much easier to just say 'no'. As an organisation, they are notorious for delegating as little decision-making as possible to the stores so somebody in head office has decided that they're not allowed to do it and that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

You can make payments over €30 with Android Pay, you just need to unlock the phone to 'authenticate' yourself.

Apple say that "You might not be able to use Apple Pay for purchases over 30 EUR."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

guza81 wrote: »
    This norm is for cards and not android pay.
    With android pay you can pay up to 30 by only waking your phone up. And to pay more than that you have to unlock your phone, "prove the holder is the owner" like you said.

That's why having a screen lock activated is a requirement for android pay.

Do you have to re-auth if the screen is already unlocked?

Not sure, I'm new to android pay, didn't make a single payment yet, I've just change Banks and one of the reasons was that the new one supports android pay. I think it's convenient when you don't have your card with you. Most people would still carry phones around.

But why would you keep it unlocked?
    Nothing is foolproof anyway.
    If you know you have android pay, keep it locked, set up screen timeout, at a minute or two. The same with cards, if you'll stick a note with your pin to the card, or keep it in the wallet, somebody can take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Both Android and Apple support paying over €30. It's a business decision if they don't. I've heard Tesco don't go over €30 either, though it was a while ago. Don't know about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JohnC. wrote: »
    Both Android and Apple support paying over €30. It's a business decision if they don't. I've heard Tesco don't go over €30 either, though it was a while ago. Don't know about others.

They dont support or not support it, the terminal provider sets the cap. When you go abroad it can be a measly 30PLN (€8) as thats what the terminal is configured to.

Only if there's some other process preventing it from secure locking, such as Smartlock. If you use a code to unlock you can force secure lock by tapping the lock button before swiping to unlock. This stops it prompting you for your code at the till and wasting time and looking stupid in front of the cashier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Don't see why posts seem to think the O.P. is so self-entitled! Obviously someone somewhere has to try things. And anyway it's often the case that Store Club Cards can't be picked-up on the Machine and they end up getting entered manually and work fine zero problems! There certainly is an element of reluctance in the Shop's part i.m.o. Shure what dimension is keying in a Card Number!! :D:D. Did he even try to use it O.P. Or did he just fob you off and not bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Victor wrote: »
    In Irish supermarkets?

SuperValu club cards are entirely geared up for mobile use. They even have scanners on the tills specifically for mobiles, pointing towards you.The vouchers are sent to your mobile app.

The problem with Stocard is that only camera type scanners can read the screens. The laser scanners used in a lot of till systems aren't able to read a barcode on a screen. You're expecting them to key in a very long code manually, which isn't easy, it's time consuming and it's holding up the queue. Dunnes just don't support this and it's not their product. Replacing thousands of scanners isn't cheap.

Tesco has no issue with Stocard because they've handheld scanners that can read screens on all their tools. The self scan won't read them however.

You can pay by Apple Pay or Android Pay in pretty much every Irish supermarket, including self scan
    Some places support full Apple Pay / Android Pay for any amount as it's authorised with a pin or biometrics, others treat it exactly like regular contactless and limit to €30.

Aldi for example fully supports Apple Pay. You put through any amount.

I see your point on the queues.
    On the android/apple pay, it would be nice if retailers would display it somewhere at the entrance, 'we support android pay up to 30' or fully or whatever. Instead of customers having to test the water every time in a new place.
    Theoretically android pay should be accepted by everyone that offers contactless option. The only thing that Bank says is they might or might not accept payments over 30. This is how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    That is actually a good idea for a new thread, Just to post the places that support it fully, partially or do not support it. Unless such thread exists, I couldn't find it.

Theoretically, yeah but it's down to the retailer and the card terminal operator to programme them.

A lot of the terminals do actually display it is n them - it's often on the screen or on a "wobbler" (little stick on display card)

For some reason Topaz garages not only don't accept it for larger amounts but also bizzarely make you sign a slip too!

• Advertisement

Skedaddle wrote: »
    A lot of the terminals do actually display it is n them - it's often on the screen or on a "wobbler" (little stick on display card)
    The terminals in my local Woodies for instance display both Apple Pay and Android Pay logos, but won't let you use contactless over €30. All you can be sure of when you see the logo is that they'll accept contactless up to €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ED E wrote: »
    They dont support or not support it, the terminal provider sets the cap.
    Also from contacting various retailers who have this problem, it seems older software versions on the terminal is an issue issue in as much as it's actually impossible for the till operator to instigate a contactless option if the amount is over €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Skedaddle wrote: »
    For some reason Topaz garages not only don't accept it for larger amounts but also bizzarely make you sign a slip too!
    I've successfully paid over €30 in Topaz, but as you said, you do need to sign a slip!! I contacted their customer support who referred it onto their IT dept. who said it was a software issue and the requirement to sign would be lifted "soon".

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Had same problem in Lidi Finglas and Glasnevin with Android Pay cashier said only 30.00 limit I informed her that wasnt she ignored me and said 30.00 is the limit.So I sent off email to Lidi yesterday I'm waiting to hear back.They really should inform there staff this is 2 different methods of payment.

There are loads of places either totally unaware that it's not just contactless or that they can accept >€30.00

A lot of places are pretty good about it though. Aldi definitely seem to be 100% aware of it same with M&S.
    I'm not sure if you can generalise about SuperValu as they're franchises, but in the outlets I've used they'd no issue taking Apple Pay for large amounts. Tesco definitely isn't setup for it as anything other than standard €30 contactless.

I'd say in some cases it might depend on the age of the POS terminal too. Some of them may be unable to differentiate between Apple Pay / Android Pay and contactless as it may just not be possible. There's a bit of 2-way communication goes on between the phone and the terminal to show that it's been authenticated by pin or biometrics and isn't just an unverified contactless card.

I'd say you'll see more and more places offering the full service as POS terminals get swapped out. They tend to wear out anyway and get replaced.

texas star wrote: »
    Had same problem in Lidi Finglas and Glasnevin with Android Pay cashier said only 30.00 limit I informed her that wasnt she ignored me and said 30.00 is the limit.So I sent off email to Lidi yesterday I'm waiting to hear back.They really should inform there staff this is 2 different methods of payment.
    It's hard to not have a smug look on your face when you show them it working after them being adamant it won't...

Slightly more on the topic of clubcards, there is a facility in Android Pay and most terminals to share relevant clubcard/voucher/etc. information with the terminal over contactless. I haven't seen this implemented in any shops yet though, but it would make sense for Dunnes (and everyone else) to use this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's hard to not have a smug look on your face when you show them it working after them being adamant it won't...

Jesus, anybody who gets joy out of showing up a cashier in a shop must have a pathetic existence. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

texas star wrote: »

Did they come back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Most likely they don't want to take responsibility for your phone if dropped. Same reason in the airport you scan your own ticket off your phone.

• Advertisement

In SuperValu there’s a small scanner facing you. You scan your own phone. The cashier doesn’t have to touch it.

When Tesco scan phones - you hold it. They use a handheld scanner.

I can see why cashiers don’t want to be handling phones that could be worth up to a grand. They’re easily dropped. Not particularly hygienic either as they’re held against faces, close to mouth and used in toilets and all sorts of things. Far better if people just handle their own phones and cards.

Advertisement