Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes not accepting clubcards stored electronically on the phone.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Just got VM now saying its the banks that sets the limit of 30.00 not Lidi.To ring my bank I hadn't the patience to even get into it with them.Off I go to Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It sounds like they don't know who set the policy and are just assuming it's the banks.
    Which is not the case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Android pay will store your loyalty cards too. Think it only works with barcode type ones so won't work with ones they have to swipe. Just take a picture of your card and use a self service checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wheety wrote: »
    Android pay will store your loyalty cards too. Think it only works with barcode type ones so won't work with ones they have to swipe. Just take a picture of your card and use a self service checkout.

as mentioned earlier, doesn't work with Tesco for some unfathomable reason, and Dunnes won't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

loyatemu wrote: »
    as mentioned earlier, doesn't work with Tesco for some unfathomable reason, and Dunnes won't accept it.

Admittedly I haven't tried it in Tesco but in some shops you just need to up your brightness a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

texas star wrote: »
    Just got VM now saying its the banks that sets the limit of 30.00 not Lidi.To ring my bank I hadn't the patience to even get into it with them.Off I go to Aldi.
    They possibly mean their terminal provider, for some businesses it's a bank. That or you're being fobbed off.

Wheety wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't tried it in Tesco but in some shops you just need to up your brightness a good bit.
    When you add a Tesco card it doesn't even give you the option of scanning a barcode, you have to enter the number manually and just shows this number on the card, no barcode. Madness cause any other one I've tried works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Victor wrote: »
    In Irish supermarkets?

Almost everywhere has contactless terminals now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

OP you should have read the T&C.

"Your Dunnes Stores VALUEclub card must be given to the cashier when making a purchase, in order for points to be accumulated by you. You must add your VALUEclub number to your online My Account before making an online purchase in order to receive your points.
    If you do not have your VALUEclub card with you at the time of transaction you can bring your receipt to any Customer Service desk within 14 days of your purchase and the points will be added to your account. This does not apply to purchases made in our online store."

We have the same problem with some people thinking a picture of a ticket on a phone will get them entry to the Aviva stadium. No chance.

Also 99% of scanners that use a red laser cannot scan from a mobile anyway.

One could well argue that the value card is now on the phone. I may be wrong but Dunnes have cooperated with Android Pay up to this point to incorporate their barcode types and logo into the list of cards available in the app. I don't think Google would have done that off their own bat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭guza81

prinzeugen wrote: »
    OP you should have read the T&C.

"Your Dunnes Stores VALUEclub card must be given to the cashier when making a purchase, in order for points to be accumulated by you. You must add your VALUEclub number to your online My Account before making an online purchase in order to receive your points.
    If you do not have your VALUEclub card with you at the time of transaction you can bring your receipt to any Customer Service desk within 14 days of your purchase and the points will be added to your account. This does not apply to purchases made in our online store."

We have the same problem with some people thinking a picture of a ticket on a phone will get them entry to the Aviva stadium. No chance.

Also 99% of scanners that use a red laser cannot scan from a mobile anyway.

I've seen it. How does this answer my questions? The question was:
    Does anybody know what is the reason for that?

Ticket picture is slightly different situation. If you have a fake/somebody else's ticket you can gain entry you shouldn't have. You take advantage.
    Where if you have a fake/somebody else's card, and scan it, you do not gain anything. No advantage to you. So what's the point? Dunnes instead putting points to your account puts them to somebody else's. Not losing anything on the process, just different account.

As for scanners, even if they won't scan from phone you could just give them the number, but they won't take it.

I just don't like the fat wallets, I've got a very slim wallet and very happy with it, the reason is so slim is there is no space for 10 different cards.
    The clubcard key fob they give me gets destroyed by keys after few weeks.

So just trying to learn why can't we get those clubcard digitalised for our convenience?

Thanks.

TheChizler wrote: »
    One could well argue that the value card is now on the phone. I may be wrong but Dunnes have cooperated with Android Pay up to this point to incorporate their barcode types and logo into the list of cards available in the app. I don't think Google would have done that off their own bat.

Even if this works, from what I can see Dunnes only supports android pay up to 30€.
    Not good enough if you ask me.

Just because a phone version of something can be created does not mean that the company must accept it.

Dunnes may have done it for online purchases but not in shop ones. Until they update the conditions, you must presume that only the plastic card will be accepted for adding points at the till.

guza81 wrote: »
    Even if this works, from what I can see Dunnes only supports android pay up to 30€.
    Not good enough if you ask me.
    It does work, it's the value club card layout on your phone with barcode and number. Entirely seperate to the payment part of Android Pay, just happens to be accessed through the same app basically.

I've certainly paid over €30 in Dunnes with my phone anyway, maybe not all stores are set up for it.

Just because a phone version of something can be created does not mean that the company must accept it.

Dunnes may have done it for online purchases but not in shop ones. Until they update the conditions, you must presume that only the plastic card will be accepted for adding points at the till.
    No but their cooperation with Google to integrate it onto the app (correct me of I'm wrong) is a strong indication that the endorsed it at some point.

I'm not sure what you mean by online purchases?

It does work, it's the value club card layout on your phone with barcode and number. Entirely seperate to the payment part of Android Pay, just happens to be accessed through the same app basically.

I've certainly paid over €30 in Dunnes with my phone anyway, maybe not all stores are set up for it.

This is strange. It's all over the place at the moment.

I've asked their customer support on Facebook, the response was:
    "We accept both Apple and Android Pay as a method of payment in stores, we have a limit of €30 for both."
    So I presumed it was for all their shops.

I've seen it. How does this answer my questions? The question was:
    Does anybody know what is the reason for that?

Ticket picture is slightly different situation. If you have a fake/somebody else's ticket you can gain entry you shouldn't have. You take advantage.
    Where if you have a fake/somebody else's card, and scan it, you do not gain anything. No advantage to you. So what's the point? Dunnes instead putting points to your account puts them to somebody else's. Not losing anything on the process, just different account.

As for scanners, even if they won't scan from phone you could just give them the number, but they won't take it.

I just don't like the fat wallets, I've got a very slim wallet and very happy with it, the reason is so slim is there is no space for 10 different cards.
    The clubcard key fob they give me gets destroyed by keys after few weeks.

So just trying to learn why can't we get those clubcard digitalised for our convenience?

Thanks.

Its is Dunnes scheme so they can run it how they wish. They won't take the number as the card must be presented as per the T&C.

But why should they (or any other company) digitalize everything for the benefit of a few people that can't be bothered to carry stuff?

What % of club card users are one of the "I do everything on my phone" people? Very little nationally I think.

I have a wallet that holds 10+ cards, cash (notes) and all the other stuff you collect and its no thicker than my phone.

Its one of the Puma IRFU from Elverys ones if you need a more suitable wallet!

No but their cooperation with Google to integrate it onto the app (correct me of I'm wrong) is a strong indication that the endorsed it at some point.

I'm not sure what you mean by online purchases?

You can buy stuff online from Dunnes.. They may have it set up that if buy online and pay using android etc in the future, the points will automatically be applied.

It does mention online purchases in the T&C.

Sounds right up googles street as they can watch what you buy and bombard you with ads.

Its is Dunnes scheme so they can run it how they wish. They won't take the number as the card must be presented as per the T&C.

But why should they (or any other company) digitalize everything for the benefit of a few people that can't be bothered to carry stuff?

What % of club card users are one of the "I do everything on my phone" people? Very little nationally I think.

I have a wallet that holds 10+ cards, cash (notes) and all the other stuff you collect and its no thicker than my phone.

Its one of the Puma IRFU from Elverys ones if you need a more suitable wallet!

I don't really know what to answer.

I'm just simply trying to find an answer to my question, you obviously don't have one.

Judging by this thread I'm not the only one that would be happy with getting rid of the physical clubcards from my wallet.

And no I'm not looking for an advice on new wallet!

I recommend you to buy yourself a purse or a suitcase and carry a cash with you instead of credit or debit card. Because why would you want to carry less stuff?

Thanks.

You can buy stuff online from Dunnes.. They may have it set up that if buy online and pay using android etc in the future, the points will automatically be applied.

It does mention online purchases in the T&C.

Sounds right up googles street as they can watch what you buy and bombard you with ads.
    Ok I get you. I haven't heard of Android Pay providing loyalty card numbers when making purchases online but nothing stopping them. I don't think they would ever get the details of what you're buying though, that would be a big shift in the purpose of the app.

• Advertisement

I don't really know what to answer.

I'm just simply trying to find an answer to my question, you obviously don't have one.

Judging by this thread I'm not the only one that would be happy with getting rid of the physical clubcards from my wallet.

And no I'm not looking for an advice on new wallet!

I recommend you to buy yourself a purse or a suitcase and carry a cash with you instead of credit or debit card. Because why would you want to carry less stuff?

Thanks.

What is the fixation with getting rid of physical items and replacing them with virtual ones?.

One power cut and you are fecked.

Have you tried the same at concerts or sports events? Good luck.

Are you the tit that claimed to work for google last year?

12 print at home tickets on his phone. Went ape when told to go and print them off.

Go print the F#£%&-+g things!

Its for security or cost reasons that they don't do it. Live with the fact that you need a plastic card or a paper ticket.

And stop being lazy. Its a bit plastic that is mm thick.

Would you remove the tax and NCT from a car and keep pictures on the phone?

NO. T&C are there for a reason!

Think this is a "I have a €1000 phone" and I expect it to do my thinking for me thread.

Nothing to do with being lazy, I'm sure most of us have put more effort into this thread than we've ever put into carrying physical cards. It's mostly the gimmic that's enjoyed, but it does seriously cut down on card clutter. I couldn't physically fit all the loyalty cards I have into any wallet, and most of those shops I'd only be in a couple of times a year. Why add clutter to your wallet when you have an app which appears to be in some way endorsed by the shops that will pop up your card when you're in the relevant store?

Actually, it's hugely in the interests of businesses to adopt these kinds of technologies. Dunnes and large supermarkets probably don't have quite the same issues as people will tend to use their loyalty programmes due to how regularly they shop there and the amounts of money involved.

However, for a lot of places that people don't visit quite as frequently or regularly, you have a big issue with people taking cards and then losing them or throwing them away. Card clutter is a significant issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Skedaddle wrote: »
    However, for a lot of places that people don't visit quite as frequently or regularly, you have a big issue with people taking cards and then losing them or throwing them away. Card clutter is a significant issue!

I'd agree with this. A good example is Boots. I don't visit often, and I usually have my card with me, but not always. They have a really good app that allows you to load coupons onto your advantage card so that you don't have to carry paper coupons with you. I've just had a good look through the app and I can't see any option to scan the app rather than your card, although your card number is stored on the app. It would make a lot more sense to scan the phone since they already have an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've taken a quick look through my Stocard app, and below is a list of the loyalty cards that I've stored in the app, rather than carrying around the equivalent plastic card. That's 29 cards I don't have to carry because I have this app. This excludes other loyalty schemes such as hotels, airlines & car hire companies that I also use which would add about ~10 cards. Granted, I live in Dublin and several are Dublin/locality specific and I also have a few from abroad as I use them when I travel. Even so, I'd say most people carry a good few of these cards.

And to date, I don't recall any issues with any of the stores using the number/barcode stored in my phone. It's an extremely useful way of remembering all these flipping numbers :)

Applegreen
    Arnotts
    Baggot Street Wines
    Boots
    Brown Thomas
    Butler's Chocolate Cafe
    Costa Coffee
    Debenhams
    Donnybrook Fair
    Dunnes
    Eason
    Holland & Barrett
    House of Fraser
    IKEA
    Lawlor's Butchers
    Meagher's Pharmacy
    Monsoon
    O'Briens Wine
    Petstop
    Petworld
    Saks (for when I'm in the US)
    Sephora (ditto as above)
    Subway
    SuperValu
    Tesco
    TK Maxx
    Topaz
    Waterstones
    Whelehan's Wines

dudara wrote: »
    And to date, I don't recall any issues with any of the stores using the number/barcode stored in my phone. It's an extremely useful way of remembering all these flipping numbers

No problem using the Dunnes one at all?

I'd agree with this. A good example is Boots. I don't visit often, and I usually have my card with me, but not always. They have a really good app that allows you to load coupons onto your advantage card so that you don't have to carry paper coupons with you. I've just had a good look through the app and I can't see any option to scan the app rather than your card, although your card number is stored on the app. It would make a lot more sense to scan the phone since they already have an app.

Realistically, implementing it using NFC would make a lot more sense, but the majority of till systems don't support that and their club card systems were built around using magnetic stripes or more commonly printed barcodes.

Most till systems use laser scanners that are extremely effective and accurate at reading fast moving barcodes, often from multiple directions at the same time. The systems used in supermarket tills are actually very sophisticated and pretty much actively hunt for barcodes. The problem is those system aren't able to read a code that's displayed on a screen as they were never designed or intended to do that

The solution is to do what SuperValu now does, and have a small supplementary camera-like scanner facing the customer that can read screens easily. But, you're talking about significant expense and rollout.

I would suspect you'll see more and more club-card apps appearing with scannable phones as various large companies upgrade their tills to more modern technology. Nobody rushes to replace thousands of scanners and till systems if they're working very well. They'll just be retired when they expected to retire them. Often it's the biggest companies that are the slowest to migrate too as they have huge networks of installed till systems out there.

What is the fixation with getting rid of physical items and replacing them with virtual ones?.

One power cut and you are fecked.

Have you tried the same at concerts or sports events? Good luck.

Are you the tit that claimed to work for google last year?

12 print at home tickets on his phone. Went ape when told to go and print them off.

Go print the F#£%&-+g things!

Its for security or cost reasons that they don't do it. Live with the fact that you need a plastic card or a paper ticket.

Would you remove the tax and NCT from a car and keep pictures on the phone?

NO. T&C are there for a reason!

Think this is a "I have a €1000 phone" and I expect it to do my thinking for me thread.

So you're one of those "technology is evil" people?

I'm actually amazed you could post here, you had to touch a smartphone or computer.

Wouldn't it be better if we had those big physical boards in town/city centers, bring our physical markers and write our posts there?
    Because: One power cut and we are fecked. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No problem using the Dunnes one at all?

Not yet anyway. Any time I've shown the number, the till operator has keyed it in manually. Maybe their policy has changed since I was last in a Dunnes (just before Christmas).

• Advertisement
Advertisement