Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phil Neville (not) to be sacked as new England Womens Manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Well, he's apologised now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I wonder how many members of the public have voiced their displeasure.
    I'd say if you stopped one hundred people in the street most wouldn't care, wouldn't know who Phil Neville is, wouldn't know there was an England women's team and if they did know about the story probably wouldn't deem it that big of a deal.

The press latch on to a few tweets, stick it on the front page and make it look like people actually give a hoot. Generally it's a false impression, the FA get a bit nervous over it and they tell Phil to take a a few quid and a hike and those whiter than white knights of the press have saved the day once again.

Yep that's essentially what 21st century journalism is, or even an entire business case if you subscribe to the Joe.ie/balls.ie type website model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, he's apologised now.

Not good enough.

Some won't be happy until he's sacked, his house is burned down, his wife and kids disown him and he never works ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I refuse to believe he only has his B license.

Sure even I have the B license!!

I just looked at a job opening for a coach leading the U8 up to U11 age group for Barnet FC that requires you working towards your A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I refuse to believe he only has his B license.

Sure even I have the B license!!

I just looked at a job opening for a coach leading the U8 up to U11 age group for Barnet FC that requires you working towards your A licence.

Valencia looked like Barnet u11s while Neville was coaching them up to last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Has the FA stated Neville will be sacked?

Where did the OP hear he's getting the sack?

• It's a snowflake world where everyone is offended by everything

Phil reopened his account...

https://twitter.com/F1zzer18/status/956128347850932225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42802840

So he won't be charged ... the fact that he could have been charged is frightening !

Charged with what exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42802840

So he won't be charged ... the fact that he could have been charged is frightening !

Charged with what exactly ?

Being a dangerously boring pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not trying to justify what he said as clearly at least one of the tweets was in very poor taste, but this is the reason why very few candidates will have put their name forward for this job. I had literally just said to a guy in work yesterday that whoever had got the job would want to have a blemish free life because the amount of digging for dirt that would go on would be OTT. It's such an easy story for the papers and it was always going to happen regardless of what man got the job. everyone has said or done something that they wouldn't be proud of in their life at some point.

Jayop wrote: »
    Not trying to justify what he said as clearly at least one of the tweets was in very poor taste, but this is the reason why very few candidates will have put their name forward for this job. I had literally just said to a guy in work yesterday that whoever had got the job would want to have a blemish free life because the amount of digging for dirt that would go on would be OTT. It's such an easy story for the papers and it was always going to happen regardless of what man got the job. everyone has said or done something that they wouldn't be proud of in their life at some point.

Yeah but charging him ???

Like its a ****ing criminal offence ?

Orwellian ..

Of course the FA were going to be asked would he be charged. Such is the world we live in, however he wasn't working for the FA back then so they'd have absolutely no grounds to charge him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Of course the FA were going to be asked would he be charged. Such is the world we live in, however he wasn't working for the FA back then so they'd have absolutely no grounds to charge him with.

You don't have to work for the FA to be charged by the FA.

The tweets really were something and nothing, he shouldn't be sacked. But his appointment in the first place was the biggest joke.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

You don't have to work for the FA to be charged by the FA.

The tweets really were something and nothing, he shouldn't be sacked. But his appointment in the first place was the biggest joke.

Was it though if there were no other candidates. The only one I'm seeing mentioned is a woman who has won an underage euro tourney with as her biggest achievement. Neville has worked as a coach at 2 big clubs and at the England mens set up. He has more qualifications than plenty of managers who get jobs.

People don't like him and that's the reason why his appointment is regarded as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He's still there then. Quick question OP; do you know something we don't? You did say "to be sacked", not maybe or could be. That's pretty definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was it though if there were no other candidates. The only one I'm seeing mentioned is a woman who has won an underage euro tourney with as her biggest achievement. Neville has worked as a coach at 2 big clubs and at the England mens set up. He has more qualifications than plenty of managers who get jobs.

People don't like him and that's the reason why his appointment is regarded as a joke.

If anything, that points towards even more issues with the institution itself. If no-one is interested, one can only imagine the salary is not high enough to attract appropriately qualified candidates.

It seems like the FA approach this almost like a babysitting job, rather than elite level women's sports.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If anything, that points towards even more issues with the institution itself. If no-one is interested, one can only imagine the salary is not high enough to attract appropriately qualified candidates.

It seems like the FA approach this almost like a babysitting job, rather than elite level women's sports.

I posted why I think no serious male candidates were interested in my previous post. It was an absolute stone wall cert that if a man got this job their entire past would be trawled through to dig some dirt on them. It was too easy a story for the press to write and cause some outrage over such was the furor over the last bucko.

Well now he's in it I hope he does well.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was a joke about him being taken on in the first place. Like how when you heard Gareth Southgate was the new England manager there was the joke about how you could already picture his face when they get knocked out of a tournament the night before he resigns. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I posted why I think no serious male candidates were interested in my previous post. It was an absolute stone wall cert that if a man got this job their entire past would be trawled through to dig some dirt on them. It was too easy a story for the press to write and cause some outrage over such was the furor over the last bucko.
    I get your point. I'm sure every man has made jokes about women and vice versa. 
    But still, he made a joke about battering his wife and shared it with the world. Personally I wouldn't hire him because it shows he has no class, doesn't respect his wife and/or doesn't have much intelligence.
    How many of the candidates would really have published that kind of remark before? I doubt many. But then I guess you're right that maybe some woman would spring up from the past saying this bloke was sexually aggressive or something for trying to kiss her. Who knows?
    I think they should give the job to a woman and let them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The FA are truly pitiful cowards when it comes to the media.

They sacked Big Sam after a media storm, despite the fans or players not being bothered about the set-up interview.

They sacked Mark Sampson, their greatest ever Woman's coach over a media storm, despite the fact that he was still popular with players and the general public didn't seem bothered.

Now they want Neville's head despite no player voicing displeasure and no public interest in the tweets. The FA are bending over backwards with a statement, pretty much burying him as choice that they were just left with after exhausting every other option.

They should be ignored and treated with the contempt they deserve. Fake News peddling hacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The FA are truly pitiful cowards when it comes to the media.

They sacked Big Sam after a media storm, despite the fans or players not being bothered about the set-up interview.

They sacked Mark Sampson, their greatest ever Woman's coach over a media storm, despite the fact that he was still popular with players and the general public didn't seem bothered.

Now they want Neville's head despite no player voicing displeasure and no public interest in the tweets. The FA are bending over backwards with a statement, pretty much burying him as choice that they were just left with after exhausting every other option.

They should be ignored and treated with the contempt they deserve. Fake News peddling hacks.

Absolutely true. Instead of standing by their man and backing him they buckle under the slightest bit of pressure or possibility of coming under pressure from the media because as you've said and as I said myself previously people by and large don't give a toss.

I get your point. I'm sure every man has made jokes about women and vice versa. 
    But still, he made a joke about battering his wife and shared it with the world. Personally I wouldn't hire him because it shows he has no class, doesn't respect his wife and/or doesn't have much intelligence.
    How many of the candidates would really have published that kind of remark before? I doubt many. But then I guess you're right that maybe some woman would spring up from the past saying this bloke was sexually aggressive or something for trying to kiss her. Who knows?
    I think they should give the job to a woman and let them at it.

That's all fair. The comment about beating the wife is bad and there's no context that makes it acceptable. Some of the others were him messing replying to his sister I read so I don't think they're anything bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ask Eni Aluko if he was still popular with her. Racism tends to get you sacked, get over it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Sam Allardyce was given the boot after one game. Now the women's new manager is on the ropes and he hasn't even coached a game.

The World has gone mad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ask Eni Aluko if he was still popular with her. Racism tends to get you sacked, get over it I say.
    Seems the only one and didn't seem to be popular amongst her team mates either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Seems the only one and didn't seem to be popular amongst her team mates either

Drew Spence too. Regardless of popularity, racism gets you sacked in any walk of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Drew Spence too. Regardless of popularity, racism gets you sacked in any walk of life.

Unless you are the President of the United States :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sampson deserved to be sacked, not sure why that case is being lumped in with others. Is it just because it's a 'F.A. decision'? Aluko and Spence were completely vindicated in the end. If the 'general public' didn't seem bothered by that I'd be worried about them more than anything, although I don't think that was actually true at all. Aluko got plenty of support during and after the resolution of the case.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Sampson deserved to be sacked, not sure why that case is being lumped in with others. Is it just because it's a 'F.A. decision'? Aluko and Spence were completely vindicated in the end. If the 'general public' didn't seem bothered by that I'd be worried about them more than anything, although I don't think that was actually true at all. Aluko got plenty of support during and after the resolution of the case.

Sampson was accused of inappropriate contact with players at his previous club before the FA hired him too, they are clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And 3 year bump.
    This time it is really finished, as Phil Neville steps down with immediate effect with a job in MLS apparently on the horizon.
    Been a bit of a car-crash for the last few years, and allows someone else to get ready for the Olympics (as Team GBR but predominantly England) and hosting the Euro's next year.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/18/phil-neville-steps-down-as-head-coach-of-england-women-with-immediate-effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The other article from last week in the guardian about how Neville is constantly landing on his feet is spot on.
    He's no better a manager than his brother, who at least knew he was over his head and stuck with punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

retalivity wrote: »
    The other article from last week in the guardian about how Neville is constantly landing on his feet is spot on.
    He's no better a manager than his brother, who at least knew he was over his head and stuck with punditry.

Gary Neville made a woeful decision to head to Valencia for his first job though - didn't know the team, the league, the language. Recipe for disaster.

Is there a sense these days among high-profile players that they can skip a good few rungs on the managerial ladder and start near the top, rather than starting in League 1 or 2 and learning from there?

Or are high-profile players still doing that, but it just doesn't make the news?

Advertisement