Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent guide to good/bad areas Toronto?

Options
  • 24-01-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Looking for advice to which areas to avoid renting in Toronto.

Planning to move over in 4-6 months but really want to nail down the research.

I've seen beautiful brand new condo apartments with xyz amenities and 24 hour concierge etc. but the price is maybe too good to believe (it's on a property site so legit hopefully).

A quick wikipedia read of the area starts to paint a bad picture of 'low educated population', 'high crime'. But maybe it says that about your area and you know that not to be true.

If I was telling the same advice to a Canadian that was coming here I would be as blunt but maybe unfair as to say...well maybe don't rent in Tallaght, Ballymun, Ballyfermot and old inner city/sheriff street.

Not putting those places down but they always get the bad rap, as a fellow Dubliner I can sort of agree with that opinion. But on the other hand you know some places that are rough but have small gems of areas in them.

TLDR: Which areas are middle ground in Toronto that

1 Won't break the bank to rent. (1 - 2 bed apartment / condo)
    2 You'd be proud of the area in terms of clean streets, good parks etc
    3 Is a safe enough area to walk around as a tourist / visitor.

Comments

A quick wikipedia read of the area starts to paint a bad picture of 'low educated population', 'high crime'. But maybe it says that about your area and you know that not to be true.

Whats is the area in question?

I will give my 2 cents after being here 3 years...

I have very, very rarely felt unsafe in the city, VERY rarely.

I live at Fort York which is very close to downtown, the lake, Rogers Centre, BMO field, transit and it is really clean and safe.

I have been in condo in an area called Regent Park which I believe used to be really bad but it is being gentrified and cleaned up. I like it a lot out there even though there were some questionable looking people around.

I feel you arent going to live anywhere that is a completely depressed area that is dirty and dangerous. Social housing and private housing seem to be very integrated from what I can see.

But it is an enormous city and there are a lot fo places I havent seen so i dont know for sure.

If you see Cityplace, Fort York, Liberty Village these are gonna be very generic, high rise neighbourhoods with good services, very clean and safe and concierge in pretty muc hvery building with good amenities.

Probably best to list a few of the places you have seen crop up and I or someone else can tell you what the story is with them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jme2010 wrote: »
    I've seen beautiful brand new condo apartments with xyz amenities and 24 hour concierge etc. but the price is maybe too good to believe (it's on a property site so legit hopefully).
    Have a look at the Irish twin towers at 350/390 Queen's Quay; good facilities, rent is usually decent as well.

Advertisement