Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liquid nitrogen in kilkenny

Options
  • 24-01-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi I have a liquid nitrogen dewar does anyone know if boc gas sell a small amount of liquid nitrogen like 3 litres of it and do you need a license and if not what should I say I need it for am 21 by the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could try a cattle breeding company, they supply liquid nitrogen to farmers with tanks of their own so you could ring and see if you can go to them to get it filled. If it is second hand be sure to measure the volume regularly as liquid nitrogen flasks expand and contract if emptied and refilled and can crack. Best practice is to keep it topped up even if not using it

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭wsa30h

thank you for the response the flask is brand new got it last week will boc sell to me if I have a dewar and know the dangers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Google "Dovea Genetics" and see if a salesman is in your area.

thank you I guess that will work and if anyone knows if boc will sell it to me let me know maybe if I say I need it for cattle semen they will sell it to me but thank you for the response I live in Carlow but Kilkenny is the closest that I could find

BOC will probably want to sign you up to an annual contract with Direct Debits etc.

• Advertisement

oh ok thanks I will have to think about that then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Curiosity is killing this Kilkenny cat. What are you using the flask for? :D

currently dry ice liquid nitrogen is next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Curiosity is killing this Kilkenny cat. What are you using the flask for? :D
    wsa30h wrote: »
    currently dry ice liquid nitrogen is next

Might be a case of a pending Darwin Award. The OP doesnt seem to know that Dry ice is not liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen has caused a few fatalities.

i do know what liquid nitrogen is its liquefied nitrogen and it boils at -196 Celsius and dry ice is solid co2 and sublimates at - 78.5 celsius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

wsa30h wrote: »
    i do know what liquid nitrogen is its liquefied nitrogen and it boils at -196 Celsius and dry ice is solid co2 and sublimates at - 78.5 celsius

What do you need dry ice for?

What do you need dry ice for?

Bit of brewing perhaps, or starting out as a Freeze Brander. Occasionally useful if assembling engineering components requiring a "shrink fit".

I need dry ice for cooling and liquefying gases but its not cold enough to for example liquefy oxygen methane argon or krypton or xenon most of the noble,inert gases need to be much colder liquid nitrogen is cold enough to liquefy all except deuterium hydrogen neon and helium

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its also good at slowing down, but not stopping the T1000 terminator

Advertisement