Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmacadam Kildare

Options
  • 24-01-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi , does anyone have any recommendations for contractors for tarmacadam for a drive in a private house in Kildare? Or any idea of rough cost per sqm? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

http://www.arkil.ie/services/road-surfacing/

If its a decent size driveway, then these guys will be best. Don't be put off by the size of company they are - as well as doing major roads they also have a team that do private driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I recommended Curragh Stone in another thread and they do Tarmac.

Got a leaflet in the door the other day from a company called Phoenix Driveways I think it was and they looked professional enough.

Whatever you do, use a professional, known and reputable company

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wuddawudda

Thanks, I'm familiar with Arkil & had got a quote from them. It was significantly higher than what I had budgeted for - but maybe my budget was unrealistic. Emailed several other contracters for quotes and only one other crowd responded but kept putting me off when I asked for references / to see their work, so I passed on them. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I can give you a contact I can vouch for if you'd like to PM me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bren82

wuddawudda wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm familiar with Arkil & had got a quote from them. It was significantly higher than what I had budgeted for - but maybe my budget was unrealistic. Emailed several other contracters for quotes and only one other crowd responded but kept putting me off when I asked for references / to see their work, so I passed on them. Thanks for the replies.

Hi do you mind me asking what kind of quotes you got?? I'm getting quotes of over 4k.. I have a standard drive that would fit two cars in one in front of the other. I wanted to keep my grass just tarmac my existing drive and maybe widen it by 2ft... The quotes were to dig up my original drive, widen it put in hardcore and then tarmac with an edging.. I though 4 to 4.5k was expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

The problem you're going to face (having been through this recently), is that for most reputable companies who can do this, it's normally not worth their while for a small job - hence the higher price.

Most of the cheaper quotes you'll get from leaflet drops in the door, are companies run by a few families and if you check solocheck, a lot of them are in business less than 1 year despite saying 20years in business etc.

The best advice I got was to contact Roadstone and Kilsarin and ask them to recommend a contractor and work from there.

Another option is to get some quotes and then ask some neighbours if they are interested in doing it too and that way you'd get a better price. A concern here though is if they're not happy with something it might be more hassle than it's worth down the road.

Advertisement