Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert attendance issue.

Options
  • 24-01-2018 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I'm a 18 year old 6th year student my schools deputy principal says that because my attendance is bad (most of my days I sign out at 13;15 at lunch time due to extreme headaches whenever I stay longer) I wont be allowed to sit the leaving cert despite this I didn't skip any huge amount of consecutive days (probably missed around 20+ full days), so I was wondering can the school really prevent me from sitting my leaving cert ? I mean that one sentence (that I wont be allowed to attend) has caused me huge amounts of anxiety and led me to skipping a few school days.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What an odd way to treat a student with a medical issue.

Are the school aware of your condition and if not, why not? Can your doctor write you a note explaining the absences?

Find your school's Examinations Secretary (this will not be the Principal). Ask them are you entered for the exams.

If you are not registered to do it in the school you will have to apply as an External student. The school 'can' put you off their books once your attendance falls below a certain level, though they most likely won't. It sounds like a threat to me. Rather an unpleasant one, if they know you are ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celneoko

I dont want to get into too much detail regarding the headaches since I'm going to see a doctor only now to get a clear picture regarding the matter, the school itself knew about the headaches or at the very least I did mention it to the deputy principal, but I guess it came off as an excuse to her (and my parents) unless I do bring a note from a doctor which I hope to get soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh I think a bigger priority is finding out why you're suffering from headaches that often, that really isn't normal especially at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Get your parents involved asap. I'm presuming he's using a scare tactic because he probably just thinks you're dossing than genuinely suffering from headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

As far as I know you can't be stopped from doing your LC, you may have to apply as an external student or, at worst, sit it at another centre

TBH it sounds like an empty threat, don't worry about it and focus on your health and your studies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tbh I think a bigger priority is finding out why you're suffering from headaches that often, that really isn't normal especially at your age.

We have a few students with persistent migraines in our school since 1st year so leaving early is open to them (or sit it out in reception which is freezing and uncomfortable)). Sometimes there is no discernible root cause for migraines!

Not implying this is you OP, but It always happens a couple of months before the exams you'll get students who pick and choose what classes they want to attend and come in whenever they like. Also they might give up other school based stuff outside their 7 subjects (religion/ PE / School Masses / Trips etc). If others follow suit then it can get very disruptive. Other students start to think 'will I bother coming in today', when they really do need to be in.
    Also students who don't turn up all week might only come in to hand in 'exam' work to be corrected by the teacher, and then maybe expect a 1 to 1 breakdown where they lost the marks in the corridor or during the teacher's lunchtime.

It's being going on since I was in secondary decades ago.
    From a Principal's perspective it just takes 1 student to set a precedent and start the trend, hence maybe you could see why they might come down hard initially.

Get a doctor's note and tell them you would like to be in but are finding it physically difficult. Maybe ask them what they would suggest to accommodate you when you get migraines?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Are your parents not aware of the headaches and the missing school?

Advertisement