Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing gear for child

• 24-01-2018 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My 11 year old started boxing about 5 months ago. It's time to get him his own gear and not use the club's gear. In was advised to get him 12oz to 14oz gloves. But when in search these the sizing confuses me. Should I be searching for a s,m,l glove or just go by the weight? I also need a aiba approved head gear.

Also can you recommend an online shop or a shop in Midlands or Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hello,

My 11 year old started boxing about 5 months ago. It's time to get him his own gear and not use the club's gear. In was advised to get him 12oz to 14oz gloves. But when in search these the sizing confuses me. Should I be searching for a s,m,l glove or just go by the weight? I also need a aiba approved head gear.

Also can you recommend an online shop or a shop in Midlands or Dublin.

Loads gear available in sports shops and online. Get him his own sparring gloves...depends on the club's policy on weight. 14s seem to be the norm. For bags/pads get him good quality 12s

Getting him his own gear is a personal preference, but make sure it's marked and looked after.

As regards AIBA (World body approved).....for sparring and training no need for that.

If in official IABA type competition then headgear would need to be approved by IABA/AIBA or whatever body is holding the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I'm still having trouble sourcing a glove. I'm looking for a 12oz-14oz sparing glove for an 11 year old. He would be a small build. I've read for his size or age a 6oz to 8oz would suit but I was told by a lad in the club he will need a 12oz to 14oz. Can anyone post a link to a bricks and mortar shop with the type of glove I need. I don't mind travelling to buy them so Midlands or Dublin shop will be fine. I've just under 3 weeks till his birthday so if I need to order from abroad I'll need to do it soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Argos, eBay or Amazon will sort you!

Advertisement