Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shandon street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A big problem with the area is the gated laneways. The agreement is that they are closed between 8 and 8 but in reality the residents close them as and when they feel like it creating defacto gated communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

who_me wrote: »
    That's kind of my point - an area that could and maybe should the tourist centre of the city, is instead an area where people would be wary of visiting.

In my ignorance, I've lived in the city for about 27/28 years now, and it was only a few years back I walked through the area. The walkways up from the river, the square around the Firkin Crane / Butter Museum, St. Annes, and the walk down towards the hotel are all really nice.

Not saying it would have to be turned into a Temple-Bar like pub and restaurant area; it could just as well be a craft-shop area, or that square would be a great spot for an artisan food market?

You might have objections, with it being such a residential area; but it'd surely add greatly to the value of the properties too. Considering the proximity to the city centre, surely that's an aspect that has huge potential too.
    It is my favourite part of Cork city, all around Shandon. Fantastic potential for a creative type regeneration initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

I have to agree with the scummy bars in the area,except for the homer bar on shandon street,which is run very well and for 3.60 for a beamish and 3.50 for fosters is great value , also 4.20 for all the main brands. I have a drink in there and find it very friendly with a lot of local charchters.the building is rumoured to have been leased by sam mccauleys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

A big problem with the area is the gated laneways. The agreement is that they are closed between 8 and 8 but in reality the residents close them as and when they feel like it creating defacto gated communities.

I live on one of those very lanes! Was only thinking yesterday when I was cycling to work just after 8am that my neighbours were getting very lazy as the gate was still locked :)
    shafty100 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the scummy bars in the area,except for the homer bar on shandon street,which is run very well and for 3.60 for a beamish and 3.50 for fosters is great value , also 4.20 for all the main brands. I have a drink in there and find it very friendly with a lot of local charchters.the building is rumoured to have been leased by sam mccauleys

Eugenes on Shandon St is grand as well, been in there a few times.

Was happy to see the disused pub on Dominic St is up for sale, anything would be better than what's there at the moment.

472525.jpg

• Advertisement

yogmeister wrote: »
    Just what we need another pharmacy on the northside.

Well that didn't last long, it closed down earlier this week.

opus wrote: »
    Well that didn't last long, it closed down earlier this week.

Planning permission just went up to turn it into a Ladbrokes branch so guessing they want to move from down the road a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

The area around the Firkin Crane is taking shape nicely.

449276.jpg

Now if the council would only do something with the semi-derelict craft centre.

It'd be great minus the Norries ( sorry had to put that in) looking good,still bloody dodgy travelling up shandon all the way from the north main St?

It'd be great minus the Norries ( sorry had to put that in) looking good,still bloody dodgy travelling up shandon all the way from the north main St?

Dodgy how?
    What are you asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭RINO87

I wonder how long it takes places with a "bad" rep to shake that...

I'm a blow in, but have been here 5 years, and regularly go walking/running up around shandon and never once have seen a jot of trouble.... If I mention it to folks in work I always get the "jays i wouldnt be going up there on my own" comments.
    Shandon is grand. Nice in fact. Bit of character up there. Yes it could be better but its far from dangerous

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »

I'm a blow in, but have been here 5 years, and regularly go walking/running up around shandon and never once have seen a jot of trouble.... If I mention it to folks in work I always get the "jays i wouldnt be going up there on my own" comments.
    Shandon is grand. Nice in fact. Bit of character up there. Yes it could be better but its far from dangerous

The thing is that these bad reputations are put out there by people who don't know the area and who never go there, yet they "know".

Shandon is a little rough around the edges - has character, as you said - but in 23 years living in the area, I've never had any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

The thing is that these bad reputations are put out there by people who don't know the area and who never go there, yet they "know".

Shandon is a little rough around the edges - has character, as you said - but in 23 years living in the area, I've never had any hassle.

V good,used to go for a pint occasionally up around the chimes etc 20 years ago, feckin was rough then,also from North main St up aways druggies all over ,tbh I was only on foot 6/7 times in the last year,but it looked rough enough

RINO87 wrote: »

Similar for me, been living there for just over four years with no complaints. It's been a bit neglected by the council but good few buildings are getting renovated at the moment (or rather were) so things should improve a bit.

We must pass each other every now & again as I try & get out for a run most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Planning permission just went up to turn it into a Ladbrokes branch so guessing they want to move from down the road a bit.

If anything, they'd want to move closer to Kenny's, Jack Forde's and the Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Is Tony Kenny still there? I drank in there when he took over Nolan’s In the 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Is Tony Kenny still there? I drank in there when he took over Nolan’s In the 90’s

Ya, still running the show.

This is great news, fingers crossed it works out.

Plans to turn Cork's iconic Butter Exchange into a job creation hub

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40697822.html

Honestly, I don't think this will do anything for the area. What is it exactly, it's really not clear? While Enterprise centre sounds laudable, I'd like to know what exactly this will provide and what it will bring to the area other than cars.

What start up companies need is money and mentorship not a hot desk in the city centre. I feel this could have been achieved anywhere. Why in this historic, city centre building?

I think something that would bring footfall to the area would make sense. I think there should be public and community access to this building.

I'd rather see an arts group or even a college use this building.

I know of one established artists group who put in a tender for the building - they were told that they would need to generate revenue for the council €25 k was mentioned but, now, these guys get it for €1 pa. That tender, despite being invited, was never even responded to.

I think this current proposal was pushed through and agreed by the city Council in a secretive manner with no public consultation and no apparent fair process.

It seems like the conservative city council would prefer a handful of businesses people using the building rather than have a vibrant community of artists, students, tourists or general the public using it.

I'm really annoyed about this not just because I think it's the wrong use for this building but also by how the process was done in what seems to be a shady, secretive way.

This is a public building being given for free to a group of businesses men who think they can "create jobs". I have no doubt that these people mean well but the whole thing stinks, imo.

Rant over

The announcement seemed to come out of nowhere for sure but I'm guessing they must have been working behind the scenes for a good while. Would have been fantastic if the artists group had got it as would have added a lot to the area I think. Guess my enthusiastic post above comes from the fact that something is happening to it & presumably this new group, Recreate Shandon Ltd, will have to at least renovate the building which it badly needs before any more parts collapse.

Indeed they were working behind the scenes with the city council, but in secret!

I think what support that they do have is because "finally something is happening with that building".

A hugely missed opportunity as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that there is so little interest in the fact that a public, historic building has been handed over for €25 euros for 25 years to a group, without any public consultation or fair process.

I'm not seeing anything online about it. Does no one have an opinion on this beyond "at least something is going in there"?

Only spotted a QR code for this self-guided walking tour this morning, maybe it's been there for ages - https://www.walkingshandon.ie/

Advertisement