Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car stolen last night

• 24-01-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi guys, my car was stolen last night. I have reported it to the Guards and my insurance provider.
    I have my car keys but I can't seem to find my spare set. Will this be a problem with insurance?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It might be, some will insist on your supplying them but it shouldn't be a condition of whether they pay out the claim or not.

If the car is pre 1996 or a Japanese import it will not have an immobilizer so key or not it could be robbed easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Were the keys phished through the letterbox?

Very common way to steal cars these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No shouldn't be an issue I had similar happen to me. They can ask awkward questions about how when you lost the key and did you report it missing but if you genuinely lost it then it won't be a problem. These things happen I've misplaced the spare key to my wife's car at the minute I'm more afraid of her wrath :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was in Garda station yesterday and by God have they some amount of keys many even have shop tags, keyrings and all on them.

Lost and found.....

Most of my cars ever had only one key so can't see been an issue unless you said key was in it or something.

Most of my cars ever had only one key so can't see been an issue unless you said key was in it or something.

Not to put words in your mouth but even if you think they might have been in it. All you know is they weren't in It! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not to put words in your mouth but even if you think they might have been in it. All you know is they weren't in It! ;)

Exactly what keys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

No real idea where the keys are but I don't think they would been found that easy. Still no sign of the car.. The waiting continues :confused:

M

How was the car stolen? Any sign of glass breakage etc?

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    No real idea where the keys are but I don't think they would been found that easy. Still no sign of the car.. The waiting continues :confused:

Mine was found in a housing estate less than 1km away about 3 weeks after it was stolen. Might be worth taking a drive around your area to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If the car is found with a key in it, you may have a problem. It does happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If the car is found with a key in it, you may have a problem. It does happen

Yeah, you would think the thief's would do the decent thing and throw way the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

No sign of glass breakage. I'm really baffled!

M

No sign of glass breakage. I'm really baffled!

It could be something as low tech as they loaded it on to a tow truck or as high tech as connecting to your cars ODB connector and creating a new key to start the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi guys, my car was stolen last night. I have reported it to the Guards and my insurance provider.
    I have my car keys but I can't seem to find my spare set. Will this be a problem with insurance?
    Thanks
    What spare set?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's possible the thieves may have used the spare keys to drive away then it's probably not a good idea to claim they don't exist (in case car is found with the spares in it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Out of interest, what's the process of getting a new car when one is stolen? Do you have to wait X weeks for it to show up, then they finally pay out or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Usually around 10 days before insurers declare it gone for good.

Advertisement