Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance disclosure

• 24-01-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently renewed my house insurance and was asked by the sales adviser did I have any convictions excluding driving convictions. I answered that I did not. However I do have two convictions dating back to the mid 1980's none of which incurred a custodial sentence. Am I obliged to disclose this. I believe that legislation in 2016 allowed convictions to be spent after a number of years, does this include insurance companies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends on the offence, for lower end of the scale crimes 7 years and you don't need to disclose them...
    The convictions which may be regarded as spent after 7 years are set out in Section 5 of the Act. They are:

All convictions in the District Court for motoring offences except for convictions for dangerous driving which are limited to a single conviction
    All convictions in the District Court for minor public order offences
    A single conviction (other than a motoring or public order offence) in the District or Circuit Court which resulted in a term of imprisonment of 12 months or less (or a fine)

The Act does not apply to any conviction for a sexual offence or an offence which was tried in the Central Criminal Court.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/spent_convictions.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

As always if in doubt disclose. It's entirely possible that those old offences might not be relevant any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

As always if in doubt disclose. It's entirely possible that those old offences might not be relevant any more.

I don't agree at all, if in doubt seek advice elsewhere before disclosing any personal information to an insurance company, they are not your friend and why give them any more info than they already require. Citizens info advice clinics can give you info on your specific query.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kidneystone

Thanks, I think I will seek clarification from Citizens advise or perhaps a solicitor.

Advertisement