Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marillion, Vicar Street Monday 09th April 2018

Options
  • 24-01-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

Long overdue return by the band, tickets on sale Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

Long overdue is right....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Midweek gigs are annoying, no hope for me getting to this

Saw them in The SFX in 1985 (2 nights) with Fish. Still in my top 10 gigs of all time... Half full venue, and they finished with all of Misplaced Childhood.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Thought they went bankrupt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GuitarTown

Thought they went bankrupt

http://newsthump.com/2018/01/15/uk-construction-industry-in-crisis-after-government-mistakenly-bails-out-marillion/

The UK Construction Industry is in terminal decline after the government incorrectly bailed out unfashionable, neo-progressive rock act Marillion.

Owing to a simple typo, money intended for the troubled construction giant Carillion, is now lining the pockets of the former chart stars, whose records generally make Then Jericho’s output seem like the eggs that were shat from a golden goose.

Meanwhile, current construction projects held by Carillion may never be completed due to former singer Fish’s considerable lack of building site experience.

However, the band’s loyal fanbase insist Fish’s recent kitchen extension, the result of a collaboration with current singer Steve Hogarth and the drummer, is the best thing they’ve done since “Kayleigh”.

Fish and co are now under pressure to meet Carillion’s existing commitments, including a state-of-the-art hospital in Liverpool, rather than banging on about some eighties’ bint who wears inappropriate footwear during a cold spell.

Carillion CEO, Simon Williams, said, “The UK requires a million new homes every single year, not some lank-haired ****er reminiscing about the cherry blossom in the market square.”

And Fish, himself, admitted that while he would probably spend the money on a new recording studio, the mistake had left the country’s construction fortunes in a perilous state.

“What happens to politically sensitive building projects like schools and jails?” he remarked. “What happens to loving on the floor in Belsize Park?”
    He added, “To the people of Liverpool awaiting their shiny new hospital, I just wanna say I’m sorry.

“But I’m too scared to pick up the phone.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Seen Marillion 4 times:
    Wembley Arena 1992
    Hammersmith Apollo 1994
    Vicar St 2001 and 2004.

Always great live.
    Although the fact Vicar St have the tables/seats in place for this gig is far from ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yeah, I was really surprised they had the tables in. One could argue it's a reflection on the amount of tickets they expect to sell, but they're not exactly a band for a seated audience, even if they're doing a quiet set. Most (if not all) of the Less Is More shows were standing, weren't they?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I've never been to Vicar street when the tables have been in place. Is there any standing anywhere in the venue?

How many people will be at a table?

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I've never been to Vicar street when the tables have been in place. Is there any standing anywhere in the venue?

How many people will be at a table?

Four per table.....you can stand up on the Balcony.;)

• Advertisement

Just back from the Belfast show. Superb. On at 8:00, played until about ten past ten, no support, no interval. A great reception for them. They'll probably change the setlist a bit for Dublin, but this is what they played tonight.
    The Release
    Power
    Quartz
    White Paper
    Seasons End
    Real Tears For Sale
    The Leavers
    Wave
    Mad
    Afraid of Sunlight
    The Great Escape
    Sounds That Can't Be Made
    Easter
    El Dorado

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

@delbertgrady
    Were they selling the Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD/Bluray at the merch stand?

I saw a tweet today from someone saying that they were watching it, with an accompanying photo of their copy, so maybe they got it in Belfast. I didn't see it, but I may have missed it. They had a few t-shirts, a lot of CDs, and Steve Rothery's Postcards from the Road photo book. If they did have it, I can't believe I didn't see it, but I can always buy it tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Looking forward to this, although making the 8pm start is going to be tight for me.

Just got official confirmation that the "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" bluray is on the merch stand.

Apparently Aiken just tweeted that Marillion will be on at 9pm tonight.
    I dont have twitter so you may need to verify that.

They have, but that seems odd. I've replied to Aiken and just asked them to confirm it.

Was there any support last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Well that was absolutely superb and what a great reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

rednik wrote: »
    Well that was absolutely superb and what a great reception.

Absolute belter.

• Advertisement

The atmosphere was great. The stage in the Ulster Hall is quite high, whereas Vicar Street was more up close and personal. Not a huge amount of changes (Living In Fear instead of White Paper as the selection from FEAR and The Party, which wasn't done on Sunday), but swapping the opening and closing tracks was shrewd. El Dorado works very well as an opener, not so much as the final track of the night, whereas The Release actually fits in nicely at either end of the show, in my opinion.

I also thought they were fantastic. Marillion always seem to have perfect sound at their gigs.

Steve Hogarth's rewards from an afternoon in the Palace Bar in Fleet St were fairly apparent. His midsong ramblings were uncomfortable at times, but didn't seem to impact on his performance at all.

I thought "Mad" was an odd inclusion. It works well in an entire album performance of Brave but not so much as a stand alone track.
    "The Party" was a nice surprise and both "Seasons End" and "Afraid of sunlight" were majestic.

I purchased both the Royal Albert Hall CD and bluray at the merch stand.
    Looking forward to both.
    All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Just wanted to echo the previous few posts, great show and the sound was excellent. Now if only they'd put the special edition of the Royal Albert Hall show back on sale... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

A few photos from last night, still blown away by the performance.

41327247532_1bf7549ca8.jpg

41327242182_e61ecc888b.jpg

40656779044_b405790f7a.jpg

41327245262_e5080fbd90.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Waited an eternity for these guys to come back to Dublin to do a full electric set. Fourteen years since Marbles!

Produced two photo sets from the each show, both were amazing yet very different visual experiences.
    Dublin won out in terms of band rapport and vibe though, if you ask me.

Belfast set:
    http://shaunneary.com/index.php?/albums/marillion-2/

Dublin set:
    http://shaunneary.com/index.php?/albums/marillion-3/

Enjoy, guys!

Thanks Shawn, I can see myself in one of your pics!

Fantastic show, really was something special. The band were superb and Steve Hogarth was excellent on the night. Great crowd reaction as well. Hope they won't wait as long again to play here, they are a unique and absolute class band.

Advertisement