Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of cold calling

Options
  • 24-01-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just a quick query, basically my employer (a large telecom firm) have recently gotten myself and several other employees to start cold calling customers whose information we have and told us to tell them they are eligible for upgrades on their accounts (whether they are or not) in an effort to lure them into the store and drive up sales. This feels somewhat fishy to me and certainly morally grey and I was wondering if it is actually legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/telecommunications_and_postal_services/dealing_with_unwanted_telephone_sales_calls.html
    Cold calling means that you receive unwanted sales calls in your home from companies that you have not had any dealings with until that time. You can now register your preference not to receive such cold calls using the National Directory Database.
    If a company makes a cold call to your home and you have registered your preference not to be called more than 28 days before you should, in the first instance, let the company know that you do not wish to receive cold calls. You can also complain to the Data Protection Commissioner.

If you are or have recently been a customer of the company who is calling you or you have indicated that you wish to get these calls these rules do not apply. A reputable company should, however, respect your wishes not to be called.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case-Study-2-Gaelic-Telecom-Global-Windows:-Cold-calling/458.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Atlas257 wrote:
    Just a quick query, basically my employer (a large telecom firm) have recently gotten myself and several other employees to start cold calling customers whose information we have and told us to tell them they are eligible for upgrades on their accounts (whether they are or not) in an effort to lure them into the store and drive up sales. This feels somewhat fishy to me and certainly morally grey and I was wondering if it is actually legal?

It's 'the market', it is void of ethics and morality, oh, and 'greed is good'!

Advertisement