Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jenkins Question

Options
  • 24-01-2018 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to automate a build and deploy pipeline for a Django project to AWS. I am only learning how to use Jenkins so I am wondering should I deploy Jenkins on the AWS instance the Django app will be deployed to ? I currently have it on my local machine just trying to learn how to use it and configure it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I don't think you have to have Jenkins on the same server as your app. When you're setting up Jenkins you can select the project's GitHub repo in the 'Source Code Management' section. You can also set-up GitHub hooks, so when you push a change to GitHub, a build will trigger and your test will run.

This is what I did with for a couple of college projects (not with Django). It can be a bit tricky, and you'll probably need to go through a few tutorials to get it set up. Here's one:

https://medium.com/@mondaini/assembling-a-continuous-integration-service-for-a-django-project-on-jenkins-5f979d4c4184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Dubba wrote: »
    I don't think you have to have Jenkins on the same server as your app. When you're setting up Jenkins you can select the project's GitHub repo in the 'Source Code Management' section. You can also set-up GitHub hooks, so when you push a change to GitHub, a build will trigger and your test will run.

This is what I did with for a couple of college projects (not with Django). It can be a bit tricky, and you'll probably need to go through a few tutorials to get it set up. Here's one:

https://medium.com/@mondaini/assembling-a-continuous-integration-service-for-a-django-project-on-jenkins-5f979d4c4184

Yeah I have that much done with Git just wasn't sure whether to have Jenkins on my AWS instance or keep it on my local machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ideally you want Jenkins to ssh to the production server and execute a script to magically deploy the app. The following blog post describes one approach to the magic deployment process.

How We Deploy Python Code

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Setup remote build executors, it's quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

srsly78 wrote: »
    Setup remote build executors, it's quite simple.

Everything is simple once you know how to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Click on the build executors button. Then click "new node".

Advertisement