Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Mark E. Smith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

He was a legend ! His interviews were always hilarious !

Here's a great one http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/3331055

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

One of the best rock songs of any genre you are likely to hear:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Rest in peace, Mark-uh!

I don't know if they still do, but on the Final Scores on BBC, they used to use Theme From Sparta FC as their theme. On November 19th 2005, they got Mark E Smith to read the final scores. After the first bit, if you don't want to got through all the scores, fast forward to 4:36. Funny stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

What can you say about Mark E Smith? He certainly had a unique style of vocals. The music of The Fall was a kind of avant-garde post-punk nightmare... in the best possible way! It could be pretty discordant and challenging at times, not unlike Smith himself!

I was not overly familiar with The Fall's material but I did hear some songs by them and see some performances on the television, including a memorable appearance on Later with Jools. It is clear that over time the music did become a bit (only a bit, mind you!) more mainstream. My personal favourite has always been Totally Wired.

It is sad to see the passing of Mark, but, given his chaotic lifestyle, there was something almost inevitable about this.

R.I.P. to Mark E. Smith, a truly unique talent.

Talking of Jools..........

Mark E Smith is the only artist in the history of the Jools Holland show to have a clause in his contract inserted to state that Jools wouldn't play "No boogie-woogie piano, Mister Holland" over The Fall songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Seemed off his rocker & being labelled a genius obviously got past the main issue that he couldn't sing for his life.

Maybe I'm missing the point of him but overrated imho he most definitely was.

RIP though of course.

Schwanz wrote: »
    Seemed off his rocker & being labelled a genius obviously got past the main issue that he couldn't sing for his life.

Maybe I'm missing the point of him but overrated imho he most definitely was.

RIP though of course.

Not sure why you think he was overrated? He didn't trouble the charts that much and his inability to sing is not really a disadvantage for the sound he favoured. Though hes in good company, with Bob Dylan and Lou Reed both being accused of the same shortcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

bullpost wrote: »
    Not sure why you think he was overrated? He didn't trouble the charts that much and his inability to sing is not really a disadvantage for the sound he favoured. Though hes in good company, with Bob Dylan and Lou Reed both being accused of the same shortcoming.

Not to mention Iggy Pop, Bernard Sumner and Neil Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Etc wrote: »
    Not to mention Iggy Pop, Bernard Sumner and Neil Young

Everyone you've mentioned have an acquired taste, that's for sure but they still could be easily understood singing and when in an interview.

Can't say that for MES, and quite frankly putting him in the same bracket as those is madness.

Each to their own of course.

Advertisement