Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice choosing an Android Wallet

Options
  • 24-01-2018 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello, I want to transfer Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin offline from Coinbase. I plan on adding Ripple later on plus other alt coins and will need to store them offline also.

I'm aware that the Ledger S Nano Hardware wallet is considered the most secure way of storing coins but they are out of stock until 22nd March.

In the meantime I think Android phone storage is a better option than leaving them on Coinbase. Can anyone recommend an App that supports multiple coins. Mycellium seems a good app but only supports bitcoin.

Also can anyone recommend other exchanges that are considered safe to sign up with. In order to buy Ripple and other Alt coins I will need to use other exchanges than coinbase but don't know which one to trust.

I'm just starting with crypto, coinbase seems ideal to start with but I don't know anything about the other exchanges.

Thanks for any advice offered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭crytoadvice

Can I ask this another way.

How do people here manage a multi coin portfolio.

Do they use multiple wallets and keys and if so how do they keep track of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Hello, I want to transfer Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin offline from Coinbase. I plan on adding Ripple later on plus other alt coins and will need to store them offline also.

I'm aware that the Ledger S Nano Hardware wallet is considered the most secure way of storing coins but they are out of stock until 22nd March.

In the meantime I think Android phone storage is a better option than leaving them on Coinbase. Can anyone recommend an App that supports multiple coins. Mycellium seems a good app but only supports bitcoin.

Also can anyone recommend other exchanges that are considered safe to sign up with. In order to buy Ripple and other Alt coins I will need to use other exchanges than coinbase but don't know which one to trust.

I'm just starting with crypto, coinbase seems ideal to start with but I don't know anything about the other exchanges.

Thanks for any advice offered

Coinbase is shhhhhhhit, wouldn't use

Don't use mobile wallets to store your coins IMO, for bitcoin and litecoin for the time being exodus wallet I guess will be better then Coinbase and Eth or any other ERC20 token Use MyEtherWallet, really easy to use MEW but DO NOT forget your private key and password, write it down, nano ledger is best. if you really MUST use a phone I heard the Enjinwallet is SUPPOSED to be the most secure wallet around but who knows

https://www.binance.com is my favorite for alt coins, has xrp

Thanks for reply, I will sign up with Binance and am considering Kraken and Poloniex also.

Im aware of MyEtherwallet but it's for Desktop only.

It seems to me that the only way of storing coins is to use multiple offline wallets and hardware wallets. Paper wallets don't seem practical for regular use.

I can't figure out how people keep all their wallets/coins organised. Holding multiple coins requires multiple accounts,passwords and private keys. I haven't found a recommended way of managing a multiple coin portfolio from any Google searches that I have done.
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Thanks for reply, I will sign up with Binance and am considering Kraken and Poloniex also.

Im aware of MyEtherwallet but it's for Desktop only.

It seems to me that the only way of storing coins is to use multiple offline wallets and hardware wallets. Paper wallets don't seem practical for regular use.

I can't figure out how people keep all their wallets/coins organised. Holding multiple coins requires multiple accounts,passwords and private keys. I haven't found a recommended way of managing a multiple coin portfolio from any Google searches that I have done.
    I

Kraken for euro/btc is what I use, cheaper then most places for fees.

Thats what all this is about you are your own bank

What's the difference between storing on PC or Mobile.

I thought PC would be riskier so was going to use a separate phone for crypto only

Not sure what to do now. Do you think its better yo wait until Ledger Nano is available.

The ledger stores 10 of the coins I'm interested in. There are 4 others that could be stored on MyEtherWallet.

I don't know how I'd manage all these without the ledger

Im trying to build a portfolio based on datadash advice. He advises 25% in large caps, 50% mid and 25% in small caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

I use Bitcoin wallet for android, do a backup and save that file offline and don't forget the pass.

For mew, it's not a desktop app, it's just an interface to the blockchain, move your alts into it, save the key offline, DO NOT LOSE it. Now it doesn't matter if your pc is hacked unless you saved the key in a text file on it and someone gets it and knows what it is.

Drumorig wrote: »
    I use Bitcoin wallet for android, do a backup and save that file offline and don't forget the pass.

For mew, it's not a desktop app, it's just an interface to the blockchain, move your alts into it, save the key offline, DO NOT LOSE it. Now it doesn't matter if your pc is hacked unless you saved the key in a text file on it and someone gets it and knows what it is.

Thanks, I was just reading through mews website. They recommend using it with MetaMask. Can I access mew/metamask from chrome on a mobile or must it be from chrome on a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I use an app called Trust for ERC 20 tokens.

Thanks, I was just reading through mews website. They recommend using it with MetaMask. Can I access mew/metamask from chrome on a mobile or must it be from chrome on a desktop.
    I've never used metamask, just the keys so I couldn't tell you there.

You seem to be a bit confused though about MEW, it's just an interface to the blockchain, what that means is your not installing anything on your mobile or PC. Your just going to MEW to send ETH after you have it setup. You can print the private key out & stash it somewhere & delete all traces of it elsewhere or simply not saving it to anything, just print it. That's it, you only need the key to send funds from it.

If you want to check your token balances every 10 minutes use the etherscan.io site & input your address, it will show you how much ETH & other tokens are in it & give you live balances.

So to answer your question, you can access it from any device that has a working browser so ye mobile or pc.
    You should ONLY use MEW to set the wallet up & send funds, don't be logging in every 10 mins to view your tokens, you don't need to.

I'll give you an example, you send me some ETH using MEW, I can look at your address on etherscan & see exactly what you have in your wallet, I can only look though, without the key I can't touch them, only you can. I don't mean that literally btw, you don't need to send me eth, it's just just an example.

I've never used metamask, just the keys so I couldn't tell you there.

You seem to be a bit confused though about MEW, it's just an interface to the blockchain, what that means is your not installing anything on your mobile or PC. Your just going to MEW to send ETH after you have it setup. You can print the private key out & stash it somewhere & delete all traces of it elsewhere or simply not saving it to anything, just print it. That's it, you only need the key to send funds from it.

If you want to check your token balances every 10 minutes use the etherscan.io site & input your address, it will show you how much ETH & other tokens are in it & give you live balances.

So to answer your question, you can access it from any device that has a working browser so ye mobile or pc.
    You should ONLY use MEW to set the wallet up & send funds, don't be logging in every 10 mins to view your tokens, you don't need to.

I'll give you an example, you send me some ETH using MEW, I can look at your address on etherscan & see exactly what you have in your wallet, I can only look though, without the key I can't touch them, only you can. I don't mean that literally btw, you don't need to send me eth, it's just just an example.

OK after registering with mew they give me a private key. When I need to send coins I need to input my private key. How secure is it. Can this key be logged

• Advertisement

Ye it can be logged and your screwed, you don't want to do it from a compromised device. I'm only telling you how it works, if you think your hacked look into those other options like metamask, I don't bother as I'm confident I'm not hacked.

For example I wouldn't use it on my work machine, only my own linux boxes.

Another thing, don't be thinking of getting a nano off 3rd parties, the person selling it could have opened it & copied the seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

https://www.enjinwallet.io/

Enjin Wallet looks to be the best and most secure of the mobile wallets right now.
    The Most Secure Mobile Cryptocurrency Wallet in the World
    Introducing the Digital Smart Wallet by Enjin — the safest Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and ERC-20 mobile wallet on the planet.
    We are pleased to announce that the Enjin Smart Wallet is now available for Android devices on Google Play and as an APK download — iOS version will be coming in early Q1 2018.

It Begins with Total Security
    Imagine having to develop a mobile cryptocurrency wallet that will be used by tens or even hundreds of millions of people across the world.

How can you approach this daunting task?

Where do you even begin?

Security — that’s where.

At the very start, we realized that making the Enjin Smart Wallet as secure as technically possible is our number one priority.

We started with checking out other popular wallets, searching for ideas we could improve upon — and we came out empty-handed and somewhat disappointed. During our analysis and testing, we managed to penetrate most major mobile wallets and extraction of passwords and passphrases was achievable.

It was clear we needed to think out of the box.

We built the Enjin Smart Wallet foundation on top-of-the-line security architecture, took inspiration from hardware wallets, combined our UX/UI and development experience, and went above and beyond to make a mobile app that can turn your smartphone into a hardware-like secure wallet on non-rooted devices.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

^^ That's interesting, have you tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

^^ That's interesting, have you tried it?

Yes, I've been using it for the last few weeks and all is good. Quite user-friendly too.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

If I get the Nano I'll order direct from company. On their site it says its tamper proof but you never know.

Enjinwallet sounds great but its new. I'm trying to find reviews of it from respected sites.

Regarding MyEtherwallet. On their website they recommend MetaMask chrome extension but they also recommend MyEtherwallet Chrome Extension/MyEtherwallet CX in the extra security options sheet.

Are both of these extensions to be used or only one

Just use the one, metamask encrypts the key so good enough.

Thank you

Advertisement