Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skehard Road Roadworks/Upgrade

Options
  • 24-01-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Just saw today that they finally started working on this. Looks like they're widening the whole stretch & adding an extra lane (among other things) from the top of the hill all the way to the Mahon link road.

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,77337,en.html

Badly needed. That road is a bloody nightmare at rush hours. We'll soon be able to get into the traffic jams around Mahon Point a lot quicker!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

There's parts of the plan l can follow, for example l presume the wall across from the off license in SuperValu will come down and the road can be widen there because there is space behind it.

But also there are parts l can't fathom, there is a house very close to the road across from the entrance to Mahon Industrial Estate, how there is room for a bus lane there is beyond me. Also, across from the fuel station there is a business premises near to the road so again how an additional lane fits there is beyond me.

Also, the plan in the link states there are putting in an additional bus lane and widening the footpaths as well ! Are there compulsory purchase orders involved or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A couple of CPOs of front gardens involved all right. Details on the council website.

I'm not sure really how beneficial the bit by Supervalu will be, where they removed all the mature trees. Once you get to the junction with Woodvale Road (where the new bus lane starts) you get through in the next traffic light cycle anyway, so no huge benefit for the bus there. It won't block traffic while loading passengers i suppose. The right turn lane for Supervalu will help a bit but there's only ever 1 or 2 cars queueing there. Could they have sorted that with painted lanes in the junction to encourage cars to move out and not block the lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think its handy that there will be a left hand lane to head down towards Blackrock GAA at the new junction, will mean the traffic flows a bit better. Anytime I've seen a traffic jam at the Supervale set of lights, I've went through the Woodvale estates and come out on Beaumont road and went through Blackrock that way, its a bit of a detour to get home to Mahon but it avoids that junction which can be a nightmare.

Going to the gym in Dennehys, anytime from 8am onwards that road is busy heading towards Mahon Point so it should solve a few problems.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm not sure really how beneficial the bit by Supervalu will be......The right turn lane for Supervalu will help a bit but there's only ever 1 or 2 cars queueing there. Could they have sorted that with painted lanes in the junction to encourage cars to move out and not block the lane?

I think having an additional lane towards Blackrock GAA will let the traffic flow a bit better. Also, it was wicked blind for pedestrians coming from the other direction around that corner and you always get the odd jay walker mental case so with the new set up visability should be much better I'd imagine.

The right turn for Supervalu will help a bit as well in my opinion as sometimes cars going for Supervalu have traffic going to Mahon Point blocked up. I take your point about "painted lanes" there as well, makes sense alright but they have a new solution now it appears.

Neither of these are Nirvana in terms of sorting the Mahon Point traffic itself but they both make sense to me.

That gaff across the road from the entrance to Mahon industrial estate I am still intrigued by. The road narrows there, the footpath is not huge and then a wall and the house is near enough to the wall so how they sort that out is beyond me. Once you get past that tight turn there is plenty of room to widen the road for a good few hundred yards and then the business across from the fuel station is bang in the way as far as I can see. It'll be interesting to see what they do with those 2 bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

clerk wrote: »

That gaff across the road from the entrance to Mahon industrial estate I am still intrigued by. The road narrows there, the footpath is not huge and then a wall and the house is near enough to the wall so how they sort that out is beyond me. Once you get past that tight turn there is plenty of room to widen the road for a good few hundred yards and then the business across from the fuel station is bang in the way as far as I can see. It'll be interesting to see what they do with those 2 bits.

They're CPOing a portion of the garden of that house and a strip of the Texaco garage to accommodate the wider road layout.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They're CPOing a portion of the garden of that house and a strip of the Texaco garage to accommodate the wider road layout.

Interesting.

Taking some land off the garage might work, didn't think of that, taking some land on the other side.

Not sure how much of that garden can go, the house is pretty close to the wall as far as I can tell.

clerk wrote: »
    Interesting.

Taking some land off the garage might work, didn't think of that, taking some land on the other side.

Not sure how much of that garden can go, the house is pretty close to the wall as far as I can tell.

It's close but not that close looking at the overhead on Google maps. They're also CPOing a strip in front of the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any truth that this is the first step in making way for a BRT?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Any truth that this is the first step in making way for a BRT?

Hope not. One way bus lane on the Skehard Rd would be a crap BRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Great to see the improvements, but rather sad to see all the mature trees with blue crosses on them...I hope it doesn't turn out too sterile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Will this improve traffic coming along the Skehard road from the well road/Boreenmanna road direction. Often stuck 10 minutes on the skehard road waiting for the lights at scally's to let a few cars through going north. I know I could go all around the houses, but it is school time, and kids and housing estates, just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Plus how are they going to handle traffic heading down clover hill lane past the golf club. Almost every second car heads down there in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Now if only they put a traffic circle or as we Irish call them a Roundabout in front of Scallys and took away all the traffic lights, the level of holdups would disappear as no further hold ups nearby. Thus allowing traffic to move.

Oh! Hang on that's what was there before !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Now if only they put a traffic circle or as we Irish call them a Roundabout in front of Scallys and took away all the traffic lights, the level of holdups would disappear as no further hold ups nearby. Thus allowing traffic to move.

I have no doubt lights were put in here to reduce throughput so that there was less cars queueing at the CSO office. They did the same thing by removing the Roundabout at the Silver Quay pub.

They did an awful job outside Scallys. Still looks terrible to this day.

Aren't non-signalled roundabouts only beneficial in low-flow situations? With rush hour traffic throughput is usually less than a signallized junction. Traffic from the arm just after a low flow arm will usually get priority on the entire roundabout and hold up any arm they pass, just look at the roundabout at the end of the N40 Douglas West exit; the Douglas road is commonly backed up half a mile while you're guaranteed to get through the roundabout very quickly when coming from the N40 (they're actually replacing that roundabout with light soon, won't improve overall traffic flow I'm betting but it will make it fairer).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Aren't non-signalled roundabouts only beneficial in low-flow situations? With rush hour traffic throughput is usually less than a signallized junction. Traffic from the arm just after a low flow arm will usually get priority on the entire roundabout and hold up any arm they pass, just look at the roundabout at the end of the N40 Douglas West exit; the Douglas road is commonly backed up half a mile while you're guaranteed to get through the roundabout very quickly when coming from the N40 (they're actually replacing that roundabout with light soon, won't improve overall traffic flow I'm betting but it will make it fairer).

I have to admit that I was totally against the removal of the roundabout at the top of the Well Road, but the 'intelligent' lights are actually doing a good job from what I've seen. With the additional housing and apartments going in on Temple Hill, traffic on the Skehard road will only increase. I wouldn't be surprised if the other development on the old Lovetts site kicks off again soon as well.

I have to admit that I was totally against the removal of the roundabout at the top of the Well Road, but the 'intelligent' lights are actually doing a good job from what I've seen. With the additional housing and apartments going in on Temple Hill, traffic on the Skehard road will only increase. I wouldn't be surprised if the other development on the old Lovetts site kicks off again soon as well.
    I've noticed no real additional delay, if all lights could be as intelligent as these we'd be doing well!

It’s not the Roundabout which is the issue here it’s the lights 20m up the road which are the issue.

Before the Shopping Centre was done up and lights installed, there were little or no tailbacks on this Roundabout.

It’s not the Roundabout which is the issue here it’s the lights 20m up the road which are the issue.

Before the Shopping Centre was done up and lights installed, there were little or no tailbacks on this Roundabout.
    I agree those lights are the cause of the whole tailback situation, but the roundabout is the cause of the unfair situation of one tailback being so long and the other so short. Lights will give South Douglas Road vehicles a chance to get through.

I agree those lights are the cause of the whole tailback situation, but the roundabout is the cause of the unfair situation of one tailback being so long and the other so short. Lights will give South Douglas Road vehicles a chance to get through.

I agree. If the lights are slightly out of sync with the present set of lights however it will cause complete chaos.

I also think SRR traffic will still get priority to ensure there is no traffic queuing on the SRR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I very very vaguely remember there being no lights at the junction outside Super Valu, it was nearly 25 years ago though.

The well road roundabout is gone roughly 10 years now.

I much preferred it.

What’s next?

Every roundabout in the city will be removed and be replaced with traffic lights?

• Advertisement

I very very vaguely remember there being no lights at the junction outside Super Valu, it was nearly 25 years ago though.

The well road roundabout is gone roughly 10 years now.

I much preferred it.

What’s next?

Every roundabout in the city will be removed and be replaced with traffic lights?

Which is the Well Road Roundabout? The one beside the Silver Quay pub is only gone about 4 years.

I’m Fairly certain the one outside Scallys was removed in the early to mid 2000s.

Which is the Well Road Roundabout? The one beside the Silver Quay pub is only gone about 4 years.

I’m Fairly certain the one outside Scallys was removed in the early to mid 2000s.

I call it the well road roundabout, locals may know of it differently, if you are coming from scally’s heading in the direction of Boreenmanna road, the traffic lights that are there today, you can swing left also and head off down towards Douglas.

Could’ve swore that was removed in 2008.

Is the one at Scally’s gone that long?

I didn’t venture down that area at all from 1994-2006 hence the lack of memory of it.

Seems alot longer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Seems alot longer :eek:

I was surprised it was that long ago, seems like only yesterday to me.

Today's Echo

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Work-begins-on-key-Skehard-Road-junction-2f645e58-0a5c-4a29-b517-3aabdf745aaf-ds

Are they removing front gardens to do this or what is the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah, dont know why they got rid of the roundabout that was at Scallys in the first place. Trafiic was flowing freely through there at the time. ...but as is more and more the case which road 'improvements' they usually end up breaking something that isnt broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I didnt think there was that much space behind that wall actually. :o

Are they removing front gardens to do this or what is the story?
    All the land acquisitions, FYI.

http://www.corkcity.ie/media/ProposedLandAcquisition.pdf

• Advertisement

Wilton road is next for all of this.

Advertisement