Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skehard Road Roadworks/Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Clamball wrote: »
    The cars are still being parked across the path and being backed out of driveways. I think the road is wide enough if they reduced the footpaths to allow a bus lane and a cycle lane in each direction. This would be the optimum for growth into the future. Why not have a bus lane in each direction if the road is able to take it?

I see from the plans they have the "provision of parking where feasible." I wonder why they feel the need to have parking on the road, all the houses have sufficient driveways etc. It seems a backwards step. Unless they feel users of the park need parking? But it all seems odd and a wasted opportunity to make it all flow better in the future. And I see they plan to replant the trees they removed.

I'd say people living there got all high and mighty about "their" roadside parking spaces being taken away. It's no good.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Sure but the wider footpaths give you the space, visibility, and time to avoid problems.

Cost of implementing and maintenance costs? Sure it would be nice to have but there should be a potential benefit before something is implemented. Going eastwards the bus lane will avoid the traffic jams that back up as far as Cork Con some mornings, but what traffic is there ever going the opposite direction? Would bus journey times be reduced by having a dedicated bus lane on a road that is free-flow except for match days?

Many of the cars which come down that direction in the morning, go back in that direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Fabio wrote: »
    Many of the cars which come down that direction in the morning, go back in that direction!
    And move quite quickly since there's no junction holding them up. One direction is free-flow, the other direction is traffic-jam, same volume of cars. The difference being a busy junction in one direction.

The cones in the bus and cycle lanes were removed today at the Park Hill section. Couldn't help but laugh at this...
    72dqol.png
    Hopefully a few fines are dished out before this becomes a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The cones in the bus and cycle lanes were removed today at the Park Hill section. Couldn't help but laugh at this...
    72dqol.png

You know as well as I do that there wont be anything done about it, its the Irish way, its the "sure it will be grand, I was only there a few minutes" attitude.

Would have got bonus points for stupidity if the hazards were on. :o

It is pretty disgraceful though, parking in a cycle lane and facing oncoming traffic. :pac:

Whos willing to bet its an older person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

In fairness, cycle lanes should be coloured differently. It’s not hard to imagine people confusing them for designated parking areas.

72dqol.png

That's some joke! The other joke is the width of the pathway on the side....Parisian boulevard anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You know as well as I do that there wont be anything done about it, its the Irish way, its the "sure it will be grand, I was only there a few minutes" attitude.

Would have got bonus points for stupidity if the hazards were on. :o

It is pretty disgraceful though, parking in a cycle lane and facing oncoming traffic. :pac:

Whos willing to bet its an older person?

They do the same in the short stretch of bike lane between the top of the Well Road and the Silver Key pub, especially on match days. I said it to a (young!) guy one day and he said, "it's not painted red." I tried to explain that the colour of the surface is irrelevant but he wasn't hearing it. To give credit where it's due though, on the handful of occasions when I've notified the Gardaí, the offenders have been ticketed.

At least it's only match traffic up by the Silver Key generally, not many driveways around. It's more residential in the new section so it might be a more regular occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

In fairness, cycle lanes should be coloured differently. It’s not hard to imagine people confusing them for designated parking areas.

A different colour costs more money and when the surface deteriorates its condition is often worse for cyclists e.g Kinsale Rd.
    The cycle lane in the photo above has a solid white line. Every driver should know what that means. Ditto near the Silver Key.

• Advertisement

A different colour costs more money and when the surface deteriorates its condition is often worse for cyclists e.g Kinsale Rd.
    The cycle lane in the photo above has a solid white line. Every driver should know what that means. Ditto near the Silver Key.

A solid white line is meaningless as a specific road marking on the side of the road.. In other scenarios it can indicate parking.

What makes that a cycle lane is the cycle lane marking which are painted onto the surface at regular intervals and signs stating such.

Anyone have any idea why the new lights on the Church Road junction are so tall? They're monstrous things.

A solid white line is meaningless as a specific road marking on the side of the road.. In other scenarios it can indicate parking.

What makes that a cycle lane is the cycle lane marking which are painted onto the surface at regular intervals and signs stating such.

A continuous white line has a very definite meaning wherever it is located. Crossing any continuous should cause a driver to reconsider what they are doing.
    Many people have an incomplete understanding of the finer details of the ROTR. I don't claim to a ROTR expert but I pay attention to cont. white lines.
    Parking places are not marked as above in the photo.

A continuous white line has a very definite meaning wherever it is located. Crossing any continuous should cause a driver to reconsider what they are doing.
    Many people have an incomplete understanding of the finer details of the ROTR. I don't claim to a ROTR expert but I pay attention to cont. white lines.
    Parking places are not marked as above in the photo.

I don’t understand your point. There are numerous places are around the city where parking spaces are indicated with a continuous white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don’t understand your point. There are numerous places are around the city where parking spaces are indicated with a continuous white line.
    Exactly. You can park on Marlboro Street, and it has a continuous white line to indicate the parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Is it just me or are they taking friggin ages to resurface the road down as far as Supervalu? The footpaths & new bus stops seem to have been completed weeks ago yet there's very little progress on the actual road sufrace (which is in an apalling state).

And the continuous white line designating bus lanes isn't legally a continuous white line either. No problem crossing it, once you're outside bus hours of course.
    Is it just me or are they taking friggin ages to resurface the road down as far as Supervalu? The footpaths & new bus stops seem to have been completed weeks ago yet there's very little progress on the actual road sufrace (which is in an apalling state).
    Which side? West side is done bar a few patches where the old lights were.

And the continuous white line designating bus lanes isn't legally a continuous white line either. No problem crossing it, once you're outside bus hours of course.

Which side? West side is done bar a few patches where the old lights were.

I don’t think you can enter or exit a bus lane irrespective if it’s active or not on a solid white lane. Only at designated entry and exit points denoted by a dashed line.

I don’t think you can enter or exit a bus lane irrespective if it’s active or not on a solid white lane. Only at designated entry and exit points denoted by a dashed line.
    At the risk of continuing off topic, what law supports that point of view?

At the risk of continuing off topic, what law supports that point of view?

Common sense? Can you provide a statutory reference stating that you can cross the line when the bus lane is inactive?

• Advertisement

I thought my post was clear but for further explaination.

A continuous white line is not meaningless.
    Typically it means a vehicle must not cross the line except in specific circumstances. Nearside, offside, stop lines, ASL, bus lanes...whatever.
    That's why it's used on cycle lanes.
    Some cycles lanes have broken lines so the rules are different - just like the difference between a Yield and Stop line.

Anyone mistaking a bicycle lane on Skehard Rd or Silver Key as parking needs to pay more attention and\or get some ROTR advice.
    But in Sk Rd it's a new layout so I'll make allowances for little old ladies in Nissan Micras and the likely absence of road signs.

Common sense? Can you provide a statutory reference stating that you can cross the line when the bus lane is inactive?

You're the one making the claim but anyway...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83857254&postcount=35

You can't cross the line down the middle of the road but no such rule exists for bus lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I can’t understand why those ginormous lights by supervalu have a red option on the right turn light going into SuperValu. It should just be a filter... if the road is clear, why would you sit on the road like a mope?

pwurple wrote: »
    I can’t understand why those ginormous lights by supervalu have a red option on the right turn light going into SuperValu. It should just be a filter... if the road is clear, why would you sit on the road like a mope?
    There's been a continuous drive across the city to remove the option to turn using your own judgement. Those red arrow lights have gone in everywhere. I hope the policy is based on some research that it's safer, it's very frustrating to just be sitting there when the road's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

It should be flashing amber for the right turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Cyclist safety. Time and time again, motorists collide with oncoming cyclists in situations like that because they don't see them, even in broad daylight. I couldn't count how many times it's happened me over the years. More info here:

https://road.cc/content/news/235330-new-research-finds-many-drivers-really-dont-see-cyclists-or-motorbikers-video

I drive a lot more than I cycle btw, lest anyone decide I'm "one of those" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your link is about motorcycles, and general inattention rather than right hand turns. I’ve spent a heck of a lot more hours on motorbikes and cycling than I have in a car, and I still think it is poor to build up traffic and impatience in this way. I see that similar light in douglas onto the well road being broken a couple of times a week, and I rarely pass through there.

Tbh, I think part of driver training for cars should be getting up on a bike in traffic and seeing how it is. But there is a bit lack of responsibility on the two wheeler side sometimes. High vis and a working set of lights would be ideal, seems to be rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

I have been looking at the parking on Skehard road for the last few weeks. Cars park on the footpath, both parallel to the road and perpendicular to the road. Cars are parking on the green spaces built into the footpath. The behavior of these car owners is bizarre.

The location of the bus stops are not in indents in the very wide footpath to allow the bus to pull in from the road and let pedestrians on and off while allowing cars to pass. Especially the two stops by Scally's.

But on a positive the light sequence at Scallys seems to allow the traffic coming from the Skehard road towards Mahon to move more freely at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Your link is about motorcycles, and general inattention rather than right hand turns. I’ve spent a heck of a lot more hours on motorbikes and cycling than I have in a car, and I still think it is poor to build up traffic and impatience in this way. I see that similar light in douglas onto the well road being broken a couple of times a week, and I rarely pass through there.

Tbh, I think part of driver training for cars should be getting up on a bike in traffic and seeing how it is. But there is a bit lack of responsibility on the two wheeler side sometimes. High vis and a working set of lights would be ideal, seems to be rare.

The Douglas/Well Road right hand turn is constantly being broken, in fact if you obey it you generally get some guy behind you revving or beeping. I suspect the Supervalu one will be similar. Cyclists don't really come into it if you check before you turn.

• Advertisement

Is there going to be anything done to the section between Supervalu and Maxol? Passing earlier they were taking great care to line up the kerbing between the old and new sections by the CSO. The same down by Supervalu. The plans I posted a while back had a load of changes to that section as well as CPOs for a few feet of some gardens. Is that not going ahead? Annoying if so, the cycle path on that section is useless, and the road could do with being realigned. Must check if the plan included a bus lane all the way as well.

Edit: It's in the plan all right so maybe they're just tidying up between phases.

dyouuq.jpg

Advertisement