Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLus Size Mens MTB Shorts

Options
  • 24-01-2018 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Has anyone managed to find a site or even shop in Ireland selling them?

I'm about a 50" waste so need that or more as looking at the MTB ones that are almost like snickers work gear material so would need them bigger again as non-elastic waste

Would rather get that type, then E50 or so on something to wear under cheap shorts

Was talking to Cycletribe owner and he thought he could help, but in the end, couldn't, looked in Cyclesuperstore and haven't a hope

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Endura (Scottish brand) tend to do MTB shorts (i..e non-lycra) sizing that accounts for larger sized folk, offering a XXXL size up to 49" waist.

I can only speak of smaller sizes, but I have a pair of Humvee mk.I shorts (the url is for mk.II; differences in pocket layout mostly) and same again with 3/4 length, and the missus has the mk.II shorts and we both like them. Removable - and imo awesomely padded - liner with the actual shorts comprising of light but tough material, quick to dry, with a load of unobtrusive storage. They're baggy but they're not *that* baggy so they don't flap around in the wind.

Edit: looked at the wrong chart sizing; the 49" is chest size. My bad. My very very bad .
    Edit 2: Largest size for the humvees is a XXXXL (45"), and whilst the humvees have a bit of give for extra inches, they still might be a little too small and/or snug fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Don't worry thanks, I have had it happen too many times, oh look 4XL, looks at inches that's about a XL pushing 2XL

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Keep an eye on the "spare tyre" section of this store. They are meant to be coming out with MTB gear this year.

I have been using their bibs and jerseys for a few years and they are great quality. Expensive, but they hold up to regular wear and washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Can I suggest that you look at getting some bib shorts (fatladattheback have a sale on and go up to 54"), then find any shorts that fit and you like the look of.

Bib shorts are really comfy as a big lad and the shorts prevent the ladies coming over all passionate.

I think you will really struggle to get decent quality Mtb shorts (and the pad isn't as comfy anyways) at that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Some great information here thanks to all.

Basically, I don't enough cycling, but when I eventually do it's on my own for maybe 30 minutes max.

Id take the plunge and get a decent set of shorts or bib shorts if I was on it guaranteed every week for hours, but sadly the fella I cycle with says more than does when comes to cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

jeffk wrote: »
    Some great information here thanks to all.

Basically, I don't enough cycling, but when I eventually do it's on my own for maybe 30 minutes max.

Id take the plunge and get a decent set of shorts or bib shorts if I was on it guaranteed every week for hours, but sadly the fella I cycle with says more than does when comes to cycling

I'd take the plunge, bib shorts last ages (normally the lyrca part going see through kills them) meaning you can be properly comfy on your spins and no-one need know as you'll be wearing regular kit on top.

Good work on getting out on your own, I do a lot of that too. Try to increase the time to an hour about 3x a week to get massive health benefits, build up the time at a lower intensity to get used to it then up the effort.

Advertisement