Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad tiling. How to complain

Options
  • 25-01-2018 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello.

I have an issue with the tiles which were fitted by one of the tilers from tradesmen.ie and would like to ask people's opinion on how it's better to proceed now.
    Tiler have fitted tiles within 2 days (second day was for putting grout) on the backer board. In the evening of the second day after he left I noticed small cracks between the tiles in the grout. That seemed very strange because nobody, except tiler, was walking on them. The day after, I tried to press with the hand on some of the tiles and few of them were moving slightly. I reported that to him and he came back, removed tiles which were moving and put new ones, also re-applied grout, that re-visit was for free. Nobody walked on them at all for the next 48 hours after that. After 48hrs we noticed that grout cracks appeared again and some of the tiles are moving (not the ones which he fixed during re-visit). Also, I accidentally noticed that the door he cut was cut very bad, it's very visible from the distance only. I reported that back to him but he replied that for the door he admitted it's his fail and he will transfer money for a new one, but for the tiling - he told that's my fault because I was walking on the tiles before the adhesive was dried (but I didn't!). He also offended me by saying that I am a liar (??!).
    I tried to agree with him that he partially do a refund for the bad tiling and for the door, but he keeps ignoring my emails, texts and he blocked me on his phone (all the time goes to voicemail).
    Today I received 50euro from him with ref "FOR THE DOOR".
    Another thing is that he still didn't provide me any invoice for the job he did and payment I made (by cash). I was expecting he will give one.

I spoke to a few tilers today and they suggested that all floor needs to be re-tiled because even good tiles are leveled very bad.

Btw, this tiler has very good reviews on the tradesmen that's why I dealt with him...

Can somebody please advise how to proceed? This tiler has his website with the address where his "company" is located and that seems to be the only way where and how I can speak to him now. Not sure if that is a good idea though. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

move on....don't pay in advance for any work. Get another tiler in to redo the tiles and explain clearly what standard you expect from them. Leave appropriate feedback on tradesmen website (nothing defamatory, just why disappointed with workmanship in your particular case). I'd pay next person 1/2 at end of job and other 1/2 after 48 hours once you're happy, but make that clear up front to them so they agree to those terms. If that's not possible ask to view previous work....2/3 previous clients, talk to on phone and visit at least one....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Small Claims court
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

Find correct address/name for the company
    ww.cro.ie
    Its a 25 euro investment.
    Tell him you are going to do that, you can also post that on the tradesmen site.

Are you eligible for HRI
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/home-renovation-incentive/hri-for-homeowners-and-landlords/index.aspx

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Who fitted the backer board, and how solid is the original floor under the backer board, if the joints between the tiles are cracking that easily it could be caused by the floor underneath moving

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

With floor tiling it is absolutely critical that the backing is rigid enough to resist flex. When my bathroom was done in 2005 ish the tiler reinforced the floor before he started.

Advertisement