Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby On Board

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

_Dara_ wrote: »
    If someone approaches you and politely explains their disability, you would refuse them the seat? If yes, what is your reasoning? What principle are you abiding by in refusing a seat to someone who needs it and politely asks you for yours?

As i've said in the previous thread on this. I'd point them in the direction of the designated seats for the old/infirm/pregnant. If DB, IE, Luas etc want to start charging half price for standing tickets, i'll buy one of them and stand for the duration. As long as I'm paying the same as everyone else i'll be taking a seat when there is one available.

If someone has a medical condition that prevents them from standing on public transport on their way to work, get a doctors note and stay home, or arrange to come in post rush hour. People have enough on their plates in their own lives without being worried about everyone else on the bus.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Or people who don't want to give up their seat pay extra for assigned seating...

And if all of the assigned seating is taken up before "little miss i'm up the duff look at my badge" gets on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

As i've said in the previous thread on this. I'd point them in the direction of the designated seats for the old/infirm/pregnant. If DB, IE, Luas etc want to start charging half price for standing tickets, i'll buy one of them and stand for the duration. As long as I'm paying the same as everyone else i'll be taking a seat when there is one available.

If someone has a medical condition that prevents them from standing on public transport on their way to work, get a doctors note and stay home, or arrange to come in post rush hour. People have enough on their plates in their own lives without being worried about everyone else on the bus.

Charming .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

This is laughable. Irish Rail messed up my booking and I was left standing on their train. The only person who offered me a seat was a man who looked about eighteen. I didn't accept, but it was appreciated. I'm only using the bus for public transport in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

splinter65 wrote: »
    And traditionally in western 1st world countries on public transport able bodied people have offered seats to a selection of people they instinctively know deserve to sit .
    But this is not necessarily traditional in other cultures and part of becoming a diverse multicultural country is accepting that some of our “manners” are not practiced at all in huge swathes of the world and that’s all there is to it.
    Add to that recent feminazi complaints about not wanting doors held open or chairs pulled out and a lot of resentment from childless women directed towards pregnant colleagues and it all adds up.

Basing this on the portion of my wife's pregnancy we lived in London so it's completely based on our own experiences but on the tube we found muslim men and women FAR more likely to volunteer their seat than their counterparts (both white and black).

Never heard my wife once mention resentment from childless women towards her (or her towards other women in carefree days of pre-parenthood) and she's a nurse so she works in an environment where women aren't shy about laying into each other for all kinds of things.

And if all of the assigned seating is taken up before "little miss i'm up the duff look at my badge" gets on??

Such a mean attitude towards a pregnant woman. You are not the only one on this thread who has referred to being pregnant in such a manner. If every person was to adopt your attitude of people have enough going on themselves without worrying about others, then the world would be a sad and selfish place. Thankfully decent kind hearted people do exist. I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Now I'm only asking but

Do you think perhaps you are bringing some of your own issues to this matter

Absolutely. I hate selfish, rude people, especially on public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't really understand why a childless woman would resent her pregnant colleagues or why she would then use that to justify being unhelpful.

Look the way I see it you are either a decent person or your not. Refusing a seat to someone in need because you got it first is a **** thing to do.

How odd and insulting - lets see - women holding down jobs and positions they can no longer physically do while demanding their 'rights' and assuming others will do not just their own awful work but also yours and you cherrypicking the best most comfortable parts of the role for 5-6+ months, then dissappearing for another 3 or 4 while everyone else carys your load, and then watches while you return and become an institutionalised clock watcher at 5o'c demanding that yiu csnnot be expected to do a moments extra work or do the normal load for your job because (like everyone else) you want and demand to be let out early and unfettered to be early home with YOUR family. All this while everyone else continues to take your load so you can buzz off to the person you pay to do your real job -mind and rear your baby.

As for me I think despite women wanting womens rights and all the good things of having women allowed to work after marriage etc is the scandal that women mostly HAVE to work while pregnant and HAVE to work in the first few years after becsuse it is almost impossible to move or change from one good job to the next and jobs are so hard to get they they have almost to be prized from the dying hands of the former employee. What a utopia if people could just have families and afford to live and not having pregnant women dragging themselves around exhausted and barely able to function - The biggest scandal is thst they should not be living in poverty and despair of ever getting a good job again if they give it up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How odd and insulting - lets see - women holding down jobs and positions they can no longer physically do while demanding their 'rights' and assuming others will do not just their own awful work but also yours and you cherrypicking the best most comfortable parts of the rile for 5-6+ months, then dissappearing for another 3 or 4 while everyone else carys yiur load, and then watches while yiu return and become an institutionalised clock watcher at 5o'c while everyone else continues to take your load so you can buzz off to the person you pay to do your real job -mind and rear your baby.

As for me I think despite women wanting womens rights and all the good things of having women allowed to work after marriage etc is the scandal that women mostly HAVE to work while pregnant and HAVE to work in the first few years after becsuse it is almost impossible to move or change from one good job to the next and jobs are so hard to get they they have almost to be prized from the dying hands of the former employee. What a utopia if people could just have families and afford to live and not be living in poverty and despair of ever getting a good job again.
    Would you say the same about a man who was injured completely by his own fault and therefore unable to carry out his duties in work?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Would you say the same about a man who was injured completely by his own fault and therefore unable to carry out his duties in work?

Yes. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

How odd and insulting - lets see - women holding down jobs and positions they can no longer physically do while demanding their 'rights' and assuming others will do not just their own awful work but also yours and you cherrypicking the best most comfortable parts of the rile for 5-6+ months, then dissappearing for another 3 or 4 while everyone else carys yiur load, and then watches while yiu return and become an institutionalised clock watcher at 5o'c while everyone else continues to take your load so you can buzz off to the person you pay to do your real job -mind and rear your baby.

As for me I think despite women wanting womens rights and all the good things of having women allowed to work after marriage etc is the scandal that women mostly HAVE to work while pregnant and HAVE to work in the first few years after becsuse it is almost impossible to move or change from one good job to the next and jobs are so hard to get they they have almost to be prized from the dying hands of the former employee. What a utopia if people could just have families and afford to live and not be living in poverty and despair of ever getting a good job again.

That's not fair. I have worked with loads of pregnant women and the only ones who took the p*ss were the ones who did that anyway, pregnant or not.

Everyone should be entitled to a proper work life balance, and the fact that so many people are working beyond their normal contracted hours is due to unethical employers saving themselves money by employing too few staff and then creating a culture where working extra unpaid hours is seen as 'a good thing' and a sign of 'someone who will get on'. That's where the problem with your second point lies, not with the fact that women with children want and need to go home at a reasonable time in the evening. Of course it's not fair if a particular employee is constantly pushing work on a colleague without children or casually assuming that childless women should be available to do all the evening and weekend work, but I genuinely haven't seen that happen overly much in any place I've worked.

I have worked with loads of pregnant women and the only ones who took the p*ss were the ones who did that anyway, pregnant or not.

This is consistent with what I've seen in the umpteen jobs I've worked. My wife is a clinical nurse manager and said the same thing long before she was pregnant.

That's not fair. I have worked with loads of pregnant women and the only ones who took the p*ss were the ones who did that anyway, pregnant or not.

Everyone should be entitled to a proper work life balance, and the fact that so many people are working beyond their normal contracted hours is due to unethical employers saving themselves money by employing too few staff and then creating a culture where working extra unpaid hours is seen as 'a good thing' and a sign of 'someone who will get on'. That's where the problem with your second point lies, not with the fact that women with children want and need to go home at a reasonable time in the evening. Of course it's not fair if a particular employee is constantly pushing work on a colleague without children or casually assuming that childless women should be available to do all the evening and weekend work, but I genuinely haven't seen that happen overly much in any place I've worked.

We all know about workplace exploitation and not employing enough staff.
    Women- mothers snd pregnant women - in a workplace continuously take the assumption that the needs of their children and families come first beyond every other persons or project needs. Clockwatching, surreal refusal of role required late duties, labour intensive complex project work, refusal and utter heel dragging for anything that requires additional effort after 5pm , attending conferences or team travel etc - all refusals preceded with o I have a baby, and the assumption that everyone else will dig you out and facilitaye you by doing your share or taking your place or assuming your load. This in addition to the 'I have to have X time for holidays because if mid-term/school holiday schedules/ children off school etc. And thats before the endless inevitable dramas of inevitable childhood illnesses that also make mother workers unavailable,distracted, absent and flying home at the earliest legally possible time. I'd rather employ smokers that mothers -and thats saying a lot. AFAIC all non working mothers should get an automatic dole of e200 a week until the child finishes primary school -married or not - and then let them decide if they actually want to work or not and put an end to this absentee 'parenting' and financial pressures on mothers to work & everyone else that has to take the extra workplace and social pressure to prop them up. My guess is that you will find far less 4/5/6/7/8 month pregnant women comprimising their health and sanity by commuting at rush hour and standing for an hour commute each way and far more happy people all round.

jooksavage wrote: »
    This is consistent with what I've seen in the umpteen jobs I've worked. My wife is a clinical nurse manager and said the same thing long before she was pregnant.

Exactly ! Pregnancy doesn't change your personality ! The ones who are pregnant divas were non pregnant divas long before !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Exactly ! Pregnancy doesn't change your personality ! The ones who are pregnant divas were non pregnant divas long before !

Oh no. Baby-Zillas are created freshly every other new pregnancy.

• Advertisement

Oh no. Baby-Zillas are created freshly every other new pregnancy.

Those people were always dickh**ds. Having a child just allowed them to change up the genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

in a workplace continuously take the assumption that the needs of their children and families come first beyond every other persons or project needs.
    Of course they do. Because they do.
    Clockwatching, surreal refusal of role required late duties, labour intensive complex project work, refusal and utter heel dragging for anything that requires additional effort after 5pm , attending conferences or team travel etc - all refusals preceded with o I have a baby...This in addition to the 'I have to have X time for holidays because if mid-term/school holiday schedules/ children off school etc.
    Well, yes. Because you can't just leave a child in school or crèche until whatever time you finish work. The teachers and childminders have families of their own to get home to, and late fees are exhorbitant.
    And thats before the endless inevitable dramas of inevitable childhood illnesses that also make mother workers unavailable,distracted, absent and flying home at the earliest legally possible time.
    Schools and creches won't accept sick children. Should they just leave ill toddlers home alone?
    I'd rather employ smokers that mothers -and thats saying a lot. AFAIC all non working mothers should get an automatic dole of e200 a week until the child finishes primary school -married or not - and then let them decide if they actually want to work or not and put an end to this absentee 'parenting' and financial pressures on mothers to work & everyone else that has to take the extra workplace and social pressure to prop them up. My guess is that you will find far less 4/5/6/7/8 month pregnant women comprimising their health and sanity by commuting at rush hour and standing for an hour commute each way and far more happy people all round.
    Some countries are looking into Universal Basic Income for situations like this, but the simple fact of this country is that due to house prices, among other things, many families have no financial option but for both parents to go to work.

We all know that raising a child is the most full-time job in the world. And maybe you should be glad that women do it since they're raising the next generation of workers whose tax money will pay our pensions and medical cards.

We all know about workplace exploitation and not employing enough staff.
    Women- mothers snd pregnant women - in a workplace continuously take the assumption that the needs of their children and families come first beyond every other persons or project needs. Clockwatching, surreal refusal of role required late duties, labour intensive complex project work, refusal and utter heel dragging for anything that requires additional effort after 5pm , attending conferences or team travel etc - all refusals preceded with o I have a baby, and the assumption that everyone else will dig you out and facilitaye you by doing your share or taking your place or assuming your load. This in addition to the 'I have to have X time for holidays because if mid-term/school holiday schedules/ children off school etc. And thats before the endless inevitable dramas of inevitable childhood illnesses that also make mother workers unavailable,distracted, absent and flying home at the earliest legally possible time. I'd rather employ smokers that mothers -and thats saying a lot. AFAIC all non working mothers should get an automatic dole of e200 a week until the child finishes primary school -married or not - and then let them decide if they actually want to work or not and put an end to this absentee 'parenting' and financial pressures on mothers to work & everyone else that has to take the extra workplace and social pressure to prop them up. My guess is that you will find far less 4/5/6/7/8 month pregnant women comprimising their health and sanity by commuting at rush hour and standing for an hour commute each way and far more happy people all round.

I think most people, parents or otherwise, would put the needs of their family first and foremost in their lives. For instance, there's a woman in here whose mother is in intensive care at the moment. She has quite rightly been told to take whatever time she needs, and also if she's in work to just let her manager know if she needs to go to the hospital any time.

Family and dependents isn't just about children and a culture where people's family life is respected in the workplace is a healthy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

With respect, this is nothing but internet big talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Oh you poor precious petal you. How awful the thought of offering a seat to someone less fortunate than yourself, perhaps someone with a disability. You do realise that there may be more infirm & disabled people on any mode of public transport than there are designated seats for them

Maybe you should consider how difficult their lives are on a daily basis in comparison to someone able-bodied. Simply getting from A to B can be arduous and exhausting for them.

But don't worry your soft little head about it, you continue to sit on your throne in your smug little reality.

• Advertisement

I've experienced mothers in the work place who expected special consideration when it came to time off and that was annoying but if I saw them struggling to lift heavy shopping I would definitely help or if they needed to sit then no problem. The same way if someone is a bit of a dick but then hops in to work on a broken leg I'm going to give them a hand.

I apply the same logic to public transport. If you're heavily pregnant I'll offer you my seat because I understand that you might be in pain or are very uncomfortable. If you have a dodgy foot you can also have my seat. It's a small kindness that will have little to no impact upon me.

I've experienced mothers in the work place who expected special consideration when it came to time off and that was annoying but if I saw them struggling to lift heavy shopping I would definitely help or if they needed to sit then no problem. The same way if someone is a bit of a dick but then hops in to work on a broken leg I'm going to give them a hand.

I apply the same logic to public transport. If you're heavily pregnant I'll offer you my seat because I understand that you might be in pain or are very uncomfortable. If you have a dodgy foot you can also have my seat. It's a small kindness that will have little to no impact upon me.

I agree that there are some self entitled people in the workplace who think their needs come above and before everyone elses. But I don't think it's fair to generalise about working mothers the way some people do (not you, I hasten to add).

For instance, when I first started working many years ago, I was in the public sector and a lot of colleagues were young people who had moved to Dublin from rural areas. A minority of them constantly demanded or took for granted that they could leave early every Friday to get the train home, or assumed that they could always have first preference for leave over bank holiday weekends, Christmas time etc. with no thought for the fact that colleagues from Dublin might also have needs, family responsibilities etc.

In any group of people you are going to get those who put themselves first all of the time, never reciprocate favours, never say 'thank you', take a mile when someone gives an inch and basically act like selfish arses.
    I have no doubt many of those young people became the type of parents who assumed that everyone should bend over backwards to accommodate their needs, regardless of anyone else's needs. If you're selfish, you're selfish both before and after you become a parent.

blacklilly wrote: »
    Oh you poor precious petal you. How awful the thought of offering a seat to someone less fortunate than yourself, perhaps someone with a disability. You do realise that there may be more infirm & disabled people on any mode of public transport than there are designated seats for them

Maybe you should consider how difficult their lives are on a daily basis in comparison to someone able-bodied. Simply getting from A to B can be arduous and exhausting for them.

But don't worry your soft little head about it, you continue to sit on your throne in your smug little reality.

You're grand, I've my own stuff to be worrying about rather then spending my time worrying about strangers on a bus.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    With respect, this is nothing but internet big talk.

With respect, I couldn't give a shiny shyte what a random stranger thinks on t'internet. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're grand, I've my own stuff to be worrying about rather then spending my time worrying about strangers on a bus.

No one's asking you to worry about them. Stand up, give them your seat, two seconds and you don't have to think about them again.

No one's asking you to worry about them. Stand up, give them your seat, two seconds and you don't have to think about them again.

I prefer sitting to standing, its more comfortable and makes it easier to read. Thanks for the advice thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

So if you'd travel on the bus with your mom being pregnant or just elderly, you'd take the seat because You can read easier like that? She must be so proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This thread was a disappointing read. Such selfish, unsympathetic attitudes a lot of people here seem to have.

LirW wrote: »
    So if you'd travel on the bus with your mom being pregnant or just elderly, you'd take the seat because You can read easier like that? She must be so proud.

"You're grand, I've my own stuff to be worrying about rather then spending my time worrying about strangers on a bus." - Are your mom/dad/family strangers to you?? I know there is no IQ test to post, but maybe there should be some form of reading comprehension test???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I've never witnessed this. Possibly a subject for another thread, but would be interested to know how you've come to this conclusion.

I did post a link to an interesting article in another post, and I deal a bit with people raising employment rights queries and recently it’s a recurring theme, co workers going to ante natal, maternity leave, post natal , Health and Safety Benefit leave, breastfeeding etc and and leaving child free colleagues to take up the slack.
    There’s a perception that working parents are given a lot of leeway that the childfree just don’t enjoy.

• Advertisement

"You're grand, I've my own stuff to be worrying about rather then spending my time worrying about strangers on a bus." - Are your mom/dad/family strangers to you?? I know there is no IQ test to post, but maybe there should be some form of reading comprehension test???

You sound lovelier with every post you make.

You sound lovelier with every post you make.

Thanks sweetcheeks. ;)

I did post a link to an interesting article in another post, and I deal a bit with people raising employment rights queries and recently it’s a recurring theme, co workers going to ante natal, maternity leave, post natal , Health and Safety Benefit leave, breastfeeding etc and and leaving child free colleagues to take up the slack.
    There’s a perception that working parents are given a lot of leeway that the childfree just don’t enjoy.

I think though, and the article you linked to would bear this out, that the issue is really around the fact that most family friendly policies seem to focus almost exclusively on parents of young children. That is really the fault of various policies and employment rights that have been introduced into the workplace, emanating from various Government agencies.
    Working parents naturally are going to avail of them and I don't think other colleagues resent them. The might, however resent the fact that for instance there is no automatic entitlement to paid time off if someone is taking on huge responsibility for an elderly or infirm parent or something like that.

That's common decency, did you not learn that from your mother? I know that mine would have made me get up for someone who needs a sit more than I do.
    I get up for others that do, because it could be my mother/pregnant sister and I know they'd be happy if someone got up for them.
    Again, that's just a case of good manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

With respect, I couldn't give a shiny shyte what a random stranger thinks on t'internet. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, good. :)

LirW wrote: »
    That's common decency, did you not learn that from your mother? I know that mine would have made me get up for someone who needs a sit more than I do.
    I get up for others that do, because it could be my mother/pregnant sister and I know they'd be happy if someone got up for them.
    Again, that's just a case of good manners.

You truly are a saint. :rolleyes:

If your mom had obvious problems walking and took the bus into town and didn't get a seat, is upset afterwards and complains about it to you you're going to tell her what exactly? That people should do it your way because why should they bother about strangers?
    Same goes for your heavily pregnant wife, if strangers wouldn't get up for her, will you tell her to cop on because people shouldn't bother about strangers?

Let's hope you are never in the situation where a seat on a bus ride would make your life a little bit easier because you're injured or disabled.

So next time I see some young healthy person sitting comfortably on the bus while an elderly or pregnant woman struggles I won't think 'self absorbed, rude pratt', I'll just think 'poor thing. Obviously has huge problems of his own the weight of which requires a seat far more than that nine months pregnant/80 year old woman".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

You may not care about strangers on a bus but I will gladly give my seat to your elderly mother or pregnant Wife/Daughter/Sister if there's none available, sure I'd even give my seat to you if you happened to have limited mobility for any reason and found yourself on public transport.

It's called being considerate to people around you, it shouldn't take effort. Maybe you should give it a try sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I think though, and the article you linked to would bear this out, that the issue is really around the fact that most family friendly policies seem to focus almost exclusively on parents of young children. That is really the fault of various policies and employment rights that have been introduced into the workplace, emanating from various Government agencies.
    Working parents naturally are going to avail of them and I don't think other colleagues resent them. The might, however resent the fact that for instance there is no automatic entitlement to paid time off if someone is taking on huge responsibility for an elderly or infirm parent or something like that.

Well there’s no automatic entitlement to be paid by your employer while on maternity leave, and there is carers leave that employees can take in order to look after a sick person (of any age, just must need full time care) and almost anyone who has been in employment for a few years can get carers Benefit for up to 2 years and garaunteed your job back, a bit like maternity.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/carers_leave_from_employment.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/carers_benefit.html

So next time I see some young healthy person sitting comfortably on the bus while an elderly or pregnant woman struggles I won't think 'self absorbed, rude pratt', I'll just think 'poor thing. Obviously has huge problems of his own the weight of which requires a seat far more than that nine months pregnant/80 year old woman".

How about just getting on with your journey and minding your own business??

I wonder is there a budding industry repairing all the pearls clutched on the internet over the travails of imaginary discommoded commuters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you actually read the piece I linked you to, it’s a woman that is complaining, not a man.
    Anything then you mention about not being able to go home from work and watch Peaky Blinders is absolute rubbish because if you decide to have a baby then you have accepted all that and that’s nothing to do with your colleagues, is it?

The piece was one woman moaning who was widely lambasted for her views. I think she was American which makes it even more of a joke as maternity leave here is notoriously **** and doesn't exist legally beyond the bare minimum

Babies and children are part of society and a requirement for the future. If you want to participate in society then you have to deal with colleagues taking maternity or parental leave on occasion.

Im not sure what the alternative is. Discrimination against pregnant women and parents? Any suggestions?

How about just getting on with your journey and minding your own business??

Yes, let's all sit on public transport with ear plugs and eye masks because God forbid we might notice someone who needs our seat more than us.

I wonder is there a budding industry repairing all the pearls clutched on the internet over the travails of imaginary discommoded commuters

Who exactly is 'clutching pearls'.?

• Advertisement

So a good debate with interesting points of view and opinions is now pearl clutching ?

Yes, let's all sit on public transport with ear plugs and eye masks because God forbid we might notice someone who needs our seat more than us.

Sounds good. Lets do that. Much better idea than a ridiculous badge.

Sounds good. Lets do that. Much better idea than a ridiculous badge.

Thankfully this seems to be a rather marginal attitude. Most folks seem happy enough to accommodate.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Thankfully this seems to be a rather marginal attitude. Most folks seem happy enough to accommodate.

Yeah?? So why do we need silly badges??

Yeah?? So why do we need silly badges??

So that people will know that a woman is pregnant and would appreciate a seat. It's not always visible and there's often reluctance by some people to assume a woman is pregnant in case they insult her.
    This removes all that awkwardness and also means women in the early stages of pregnancy, who might be suffering from tiredness or morning sickness, but are not yet obviously pregnant might be offered a seat. (Not by you, of course, but by someone without a chip on their shoulder).

• Advertisement
Advertisement