Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo is the new king of Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Edward M wrote: »
    Its nothing of note to either side, one diplomat expelled, there will probably be a response of similar portion on their side later.
    We haven't broken off diplomatic relations with Russia or anything like.
    We have showed solidarity with Britain and Europe, also major trading partners as well as stakeholders in border negotiations.
    One diplomat being expelled from Ireland is about as much news in Moscow as another snow shower.

So it was pointless really?
    Personally I don't think we should have any dealings with Russia. The issue seems to be the neutrality issue, which with the US in Shannon, we are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo, as the new king of Ireland had to declare that the current homeless and housing crises (both of which have worsened since his party took to government) are national emergencies.
    THE TAOISEACH HAS told an Oireachtas Committee today that the housing and homeless crisis is a national emergency.

Yesterday, the government published its latest report for February, with the figure for homeless adults at 6,052 and the number of homeless children at 3,755, meaning just shy of 10,000 people are now homeless in Ireland.

Leo Varadkar said the latest figures show a “disturbing increase” in the number of families becoming homeless.

He said he had no difficulty in describing the crisis as a “national emergency”.

Who to blame for these emergencies? Are FF still being blamed for thing's happening under this govt? (Is that still a thing?)

How's about the Shinners or alphabet soup?

Surely has to be someone else's faults.

Anyone else's.

However much some might disagree with how the metrics are recorded; the recognised and accepted manner shows child homeless numbers have doubled since the last election.
    Citing more funding for emergency accommodation, while keeping with the same game plan, might look like there's concern, but will not help matters.

However much some might disagree with how the metrics are recorded; the recognised and accepted manner shows child homeless numbers have doubled since the last election.

Leo doesn't seem to have any problems with how things are being recorded, he says himself that things are disappointing.
    “What we are not seeing is the kind of results we would like to see. That is unbelievably frustrating,” he said.

Mr Varadkar said the problem is getting worse and the trend is in the wrong direction.

Mr Doherty said that homelessness has “increased for children by 100 per cent,” since the last election.

Mr Varadkar responded saying, “We are acting, we are not getting the results we need so we need to do more, but I am convinced that you would make a bad situation worse.”

More here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Who to blame for these emergencies? Are FF still being blamed for thing's happening under this govt? (Is that still a thing?)

Anyone else's.

Yes its shocking how the 50 FG TDs have ridden roughshod over the 108 other TDs in the dail.

Those 108 should really get together and do something about it. But they wont will they....... they like it as it is, talk lots and no responsibility for anything

• Advertisement

Yes its shocking how the 50 FG TDs have ridden roughshod over the 108 other TDs in the dail.

Those 108 should really get together and do something about it. But they wont will they....... they like it as it is, talk lots and no responsibility for anything

It's been breaking records year in year out.
    Have the 108 stalled or shut down any policy regarding tackling the crisis? They should, as the current plan obviously isn't working. If anything, we should criticise the 108 other TD's for not stepping in before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

It's been breaking records year in year out.
    Have the 108 stalled or shut down any policy regarding tackling the crisis? They should, as the current plan obviously isn't working. If anything, we should criticise the 108 other TD's for not stepping in before now.

I don't think they are all to blame, the major partys are though, at least all complicit.
    If the others called a no confidence motion in the govt they could easily force an election.
    It doesn't seem to be their will to do this at present for whatever reason, Leo and FGs poll ratings seems to be the obstacle.
    The only reason I can think that is, is people just don't believe the others can do any better.
    The only viable option is a FF, SF coalition.

I don't think they are all to blame, the major partys are though, at least all complicit.
    If the others called a no confidence motion in the govt they could easily force an election.
    It doesn't seem to be their will to do this at present for whatever reason, Leo and FGs poll ratings seems to be the obstacle.
    The only reason I can think that is, is people just don't believe the others can do any better.

It's more important it's taken on board that the idea, on how to tackle it, over the last number of years and governments, isn't working. Continuing as is, will achieve nothing but a higher spend on emergency accommodation.
    It must be acknowledged as failing, so why continue in the same manner?
    A change in tack may damage housing industry profits and that may be part of the reluctance?

Leo, as the new king of Ireland had to declare that the current homeless and housing crises (both of which have worsened since his party took to government) are national emergencies.

Anyone else's

Those 108 should really get together and do something about it. But they wont will they....... they like it as it is
    , talk lots and no responsibility for anything

As I was saying.

Anyone else's

So tonight's answer is........ it's everyone else, all the other TDs in the Dail?

As I was saying.

So tonight's answer is........ it's everyone else, all the other TDs in the Dail?

To be fair the 108 have the economy doing well and high employment. If only they'd spread their attention beyond the economy.

• Advertisement

To be fair the 108 have the economy doing well and high employment. If only they'd spread their attention beyond the economy.

It doesn't work like that though, you can't take credit for good news and shaft your opponents for the bad stuff....

Can ya:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blanch152 wrote: »
    We have been working in solidarity with our European comrades to impose sanctions against Russia.

https://europa.eu/newsroom/highlights/special-coverage/eu-sanctions-against-russia-over-ukraine-crisis_en

As a member of the EU we had no option but go along with those sanctions. (Incidentally the corresponding Russian sanctions cost the Irish agri sector over twice that of Britain).
    This time we took the decision off our own bat to expel a diplomat.

The EU on this issue recalled their Russian ambassador.
    As a member of the EU, and a neutral state, as far as I`m concerned issuing a statement that we backed the EU action was all the EU solidarity we needed to show. Rather than dispelling a diplomat by the seemingly selection process of eeny meeny miny mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

charlie14 wrote: »
    As a member of the EU we had no option but go along with those sanctions. (Incidentally the corresponding Russian sanctions cost the Irish agri sector over twice that of Britain).

As a member of the EU, we took this decision.

This idea that the EU is a separate entity and that we have no options is the type of thinking that led to Brexit. Funny to see you and Boris Johnson sharing a philosophy.

charlie14 wrote: »

This time we took the decision off our own bat to expel a diplomat.

The EU on this issue recalled their Russian ambassador.
    As a member of the EU, and a neutral state, as far as I`m concerned issuing a statement that we backed the EU action was all the EU solidarity we needed to show. Rather than dispelling a diplomat by the seemingly selection process of eeny meeny miny mo.

Maybe as a member of the EU and a neutral state, that might be all we needed to do. However, we want the UK to reverse Brexit, we need our EU friends to support us on the border issue, so it is vitally important to support them and be seen to support them.

Why people let their hatred of Britain and distrust of the EU to blind them to the needs of Ireland amazes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It doesn't work like that though, you can't take credit for good news and shaft your opponents for the bad stuff....

Can ya:confused:

Housing is a policy area shared between local authorities and central government, unlike say fiscal policy or education policy. Who is running the mess that is Dublin City Council, with the Council objecting to housing developments in its own area?

Housing is a policy area shared between local authorities and central government, unlike say fiscal policy or education policy. Who is running the mess that is Dublin City Council, with the Council objecting to housing developments in its own area?

Funny you should mention that.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar defends objections to constituency development, claiming area has been 'blighted'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Things would be so much better if SF had been able to put their principles aside and step up to the plate after the last election. With a SF coalition government we wouldn't have a housing crisis or a dysfunctional health care system. They're clearly the only party that have the solutions to all our woes. It's such a pity that they're left on the fringes of opposition with no one listening to them, they need to be in government where they can bring about the changes that are so badly needed.
    Maybe next time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

It's more important it's taken on board that the idea, on how to tackle it, over the last number of years and governments, isn't working. Continuing as is, will achieve nothing but a higher spend on emergency accommodation.
    It must be acknowledged as failing, so why continue in the same manner?
    A change in tack may damage housing industry profits and that may be part of the reluctance?

That's a good point.
    But the housing industry is in general a private operation, profit driven.
    Sadly, accommodation of any kind is crazy mad in the capital, I honestly don't think there is a govt of any kind, short of forced purchase that can solve the housing crisis in it.
    The best option is relocation, but that brings its problems too.

Things would be so much better if SF had been able to put their principles aside and step up to the plate after the last election. With a SF coalition government we wouldn't have a housing crisis or a dysfunctional health care system. They're clearly the only party that have the solutions to all our woes. It's such a pity that they're left on the fringes of opposition with no one listening to them, they need to be in government where they can bring about the changes that are so badly needed.
    Maybe next time...

Sinn Fein are far from being the only party in opposition, yet they're the only party that got a mention in your post bfm, why?

Besides that, I wouldn't say they're on the fringes of opposition with no-one listening to them.

Ask Frances Fitzgerald, if they're doing an effective job in opposition, or more recently Leo, how's his spin unit holding up after their motion to abolish it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,426 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So Leo is saying that they have managed to turn the homeless issue into a 'crisis' but the opposition would have done much worse, so everything is actually ok?

Is that the gist of it?

So Leo is saying that they have managed to turn the homeless issue into a 'crisis' but the opposition would have done much worse, so everything is actually ok?

Is that the gist of it?

A national emergency Francie

And yes, basically said it's a mess, but believed it would be messier if anyone else was in government.

• Advertisement

A national emergency Francie

And yes, basically said it's a mess, but believed it would be messier if anyone else was in government.

In business, if you presided over a situation where you turn a downturn into a slump, how long would you be left in your position?

If you admit to what Leo admitted - should it not go hand in hand with an emergency replacement of the Minister responsible instead of pointing the finger at others who might have done worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Our housing issues are so bad now, it's highly unlikely any government in the short to medium term, will be able to solve it, i.e. it doesn't matter who's in power, most approaches will fail.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Our housing issues are so bad now, it's highly unlikely any government in the short to medium term, will be able to solve it, i.e. it doesn't matter who's in power, most approaches will fail.

So you give up and point at others?

So you give up and point at others?

I most certainly never give up on such matters, we must realise the causes of this crisis is very deep and systemic, but sadly our political institutions and political parties are nowhere near any real solutions yet, this will get much worse before it gets better, i.e. our homeless numbers will more than likely keep growing steadily indefinitely. This problem is everyone's problem equally

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I most certainly never give up on such matters, we must realise the causes of this crisis is very deep and systemic, but sadly our political institutions and political parties are nowhere near any real solutions yet, this will get much worse before it gets better, i.e. our homeless numbers will more than likely keep growing steadily indefinitely. This problem is everyone's problem equally

Instead of Leo pointing at others is it not time for a 'national government' approach here. Get everyone around the table and tackle the issue without trying to score political points or massage your own image?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

:D:D Yea right. One crowd can't waste it quick enough on themselves and their cronies, and the other crowd can't get their head around basic maths

Instead of Leo pointing at others is it not time for a 'national government' approach here. Get everyone around the table and tackle the issue without trying to score political points or massage your own image?

oh of course, but politics is largely about scoring points, getting one over your rivals, and a certain amount of narcissism, leading me to believe, this one wont be solved easily. a lot of it is indeed deep systemic failures as well, which is showing little or no change, we must realise, our political institutions are more than just our politicians, changing them sometimes doesnt change much at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Things would be so much better if SF had been able to put their principles aside and step up to the plate after the last election. With a SF coalition government we wouldn't have a housing crisis or a dysfunctional health care system.

This attitude is precisely why SF cannot go into government.

If they had gone into coalition with FF (say), we would still have a housing crisis and a dysfunctional health system, and their support would drop away when people realize they are just politicians, not miracle-working heros.
    Someday, though, if their support continues to grow, they will have to take the plunge, and then the blame.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Right, this thread has started to go downhill into trench warfare.

So everyone take a deep breath and go read the charter. If you're just here to take pucks out the other, this isn't the forum for you.

Serious, substantive posts please.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

Seriously folks. This mod warning wasn't put up for the good of my health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As a member of the EU, we took this decision.

This idea that the EU is a separate entity and that we have no options is the type of thinking that led to Brexit. Funny to see you and Boris Johnson sharing a philosophy.

Maybe as a member of the EU and a neutral state, that might be all we needed to do. However, we want the UK to reverse Brexit, we need our EU friends to support us on the border issue, so it is vitally important to support them and be seen to support them.

Why people let their hatred of Britain and distrust of the EU to blind them to the needs of Ireland amazes me.

Perhaps you could point me to where the EU took a collective decision to expel Russian diplomats and as such how many each state was required to expel
    Faik the only collective position taken by the EU was to recall their Russian ambassador ?

Amused by your reference to Boris Johnston.
    Is that the same Boris Johnston the British Foreign Secretary that a day after thanking the EU for their solidarity, posted a picture of the white cliffs of Dover with a reference to in one years time Britain would, to paraphrase Martin Luther King "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last" ?

I have a feeling you will find if you are expecting any sympathy from Britain on the border issue based on us expelling a Russian diplomat, you will be sadly mistaken.
    As their Foreign Secretary highlighted, eaten bread is soon forgotten.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement