Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo is the new king of Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

There is brass necks and then there is Fianna Fáil. The people who bankrupted the country, started mass emigration of the youth and surrendered the country's financial sovereignty to the IMF.

Just to point out the country was not bankrupt. Funding had been secured. I don't support FF ,but I also disagree with rewriting history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Continued hurling from the ditch. God forbid they'd have to make difficult decisions.

What is this based on? Shortall has been in government.
    By making the difficult decisions, do you mean watching child homelessness double since the last election? Letting the health service fester? The only 'tough decisions' I've seen are ones tough for the working tax payer, certainly not any banks, not for the developers, certainly not to deal with any of the record breaking crises. Maybe we'd fair better if FG/FF hurled from the ditch for a spell?
    Fianna Fáil talking about the "utter incompetence" of the government in tomorrow's 'Times'.

There is brass necks and then there is Fianna Fáil. The people who bankrupted the country, started mass emigration of the youth and surrendered the country's financial sovereignty to the IMF.

They ran the bubble 'till it burst, yet, FG see them as a viable partner. For me, that kind of stifles any talk of other parties being 'hurlers from the ditch' or whatever.

Look, Leo did something as a Minister:
    Varadkar move blocked funding for western rail corridor
    An application for EU funding for transport projects in the west and northwest was dropped following the intervention of Leo Varadkar when he was minister for transport, newly disclosed documents reveal.
    Projects such as the western rail corridor and the upgrading of Galway and Sligo airports were deleted from an EU-wide transport programme in 2011 at the behest of Mr Varadkar, according to the documents.
    The change went ahead despite Mr Varadkar being warned by a party colleague that it could close off the projects from EU funding “for good”.

The current Government, which includes a number of Independent Alliance TDs from western constituencies, is now seeking to reverse the exclusion of western projects from the European Commission’s Trans-European Transport Network (Ten-T) programme. However, the documentation obtained under freedom of information shows this has been stalled by a need to “assess the implications of Brexit”.
    Mr Varadkar’s decision effectively deprived transport projects north of Limerick of any prospect before 2030 of qualifying for EU funding under criteria which dictates there must be a rail, road, air, sea and cross-Border elements.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/varadkar-move-blocked-funding-for-western-rail-corridor-1.3450236

I'm sure he had his reasons and maybe next time he's in the White House or on his holliers in Malta we might see him make a revelation for a head pat.
    So much for developing infrastructure....

Revealed: Varadkar’s big ideas on transport and tax will cost €5bn
    The Social Protection Minister has set out a series of "big projects" which he would prioritise as taoiseach, including a metro for Dublin and a motorway to the north-west.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-varadkars-big-ideas-on-transport-and-tax-will-cost-5bn-35749474.html

He was always a good man for saying what he'd do it he was in a different position, while doing little in his current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Good. That Western Rail Corridor is an idiotic white elephant, obsolete before it ever opened. Should have been a Greenway instead.

Good. That Western Rail Corridor is an idiotic white elephant, obsolete before it ever opened. Should have been a Greenway instead.

So no EU funding for any transport infrastructure north of limerick, until Leo devises it?

• Advertisement

So no EU funding for any transport infrastructure north of limerick, until Leo devises it?

I'd be 100% behind funding to pull up the tracks and build a greenway, brilliant success out at Newport/Achill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No EU funding for the Western Rail Corridor. Considering the passenger numbers on the Athenry to Ennis section that was previously reopened, anyone who isn’t blindly looking to attack FG over anything (including stuff you’ve shown you clearly don’t know any of the details on) would see that it’s a smart decision. A greenway is the only viable use for the old trackbed between Sligo and Tuam.

EU funding can still be obtained for other projects, so long as they are part of a wider scheme that includes the other elements mentioned in the Irish Times report. That’s always been the case, but it hasn’t hampered other road projects getting EU funding without having a rail element on the same route.

Shoddy journalism to try and imply otherwise, but what else is new!

But it's a good idea now?

By "Government" read Sean Canney - he's been lobbying for years for the state to waste billions on a train line that nobody will use, and is doing all he can to try and block greenway plans as well.

Reopening the WRC remains a shockingly poor idea. If Ennis-Athenry is anything to go by, the shortfall in revenues (and that's ignoring the capital cost) means that it would be cheaper for Irish Rail to close it and rent buses to service to route instead (and with the M18 motorway, they'd end up being faster as well).

Varadkar can, and should, be criticised for removing the N16 upgrade from the plans - but the WRC? - if anything he should have been stronger in putting it to bed fully, and allocated greenway funding when doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm sure he had his reasons and maybe next time he's in the White House or on his holliers in Malta we might see him make a revelation for a head pat.

He was always a good man for saying what he'd do it he was in a different position, while doing little in his current.

That was the absolute correct decision.

There is no rationale at all for a rail-line from Galway to Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So why are they trying to reverse the decision now?

smurgen wrote: »
    So why are they trying to reverse the decision now?

Like all things, it's divisive. It's not 'government', it's just some TD's who happen to be needed by the continuity 2011 government. Not true government, a law unto the selves...like the civil servants in the DoJ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fair point, but not a reason to opt for FG/FF.
    I don't think Labour's grass roots are as fanatical as FF's or FG's, were it's always party over performance. Labour took a big hit and rightly so.
    I would like to think the SD's have higher standards and more self respect than the likes of Labour, which Shortall certainly does any way. If they went in with FG or FF they might stand firm as a genuine 'keep in check' partner, which is all any up and coming party need do to put practically every other junior coalition party/Indie to shame.

Minority coalition partners sign up to implement a majority of the manifesto of the larger party. They are not in a position to "keep in check" the majority party on issues to which they have agreed as part of the coalition agreement. There is a limit to how much they can hamstring the majority partner without the whole damn thing collapsing and them managing to accomplish nothing.

It still amazes me that people don't look at the Lib Dems in the UK and realise what a massive moderating effect they had on the conservative government seeing as what has happened since they ruled alone. A minority partner does not get to implement their own agenda while simultaneously holding up the agenda of the majority partner for politics sake. Unfortunately they are forever and continuously punished for this reality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Like all things, it's divisive. It's not 'government', it's just some TD's who happen to be needed by the continuity 2011 government. Not true government, a law unto the selves...like the civil servants in the DoJ.

This government is not the same as the previous government. That is a simple fact.

Most of the commentary on this seem to gloss over the issue of the Irish government matching funding - this was not Varadkar refusing free money to spite the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

From your posts i'm struggling to understand whether you are in support of the WRC, whether you oppose it, or whether you know anything about it in the first place?

The rationale for turning down the project was outlined in the article which you provided. It's not very difficult to discern. The article was only 4 sentences long. The third sentence explains it.
    The decision was made in 2011 as the Government was concerned it would not be able to supply the matching funding required for the projects, due to financial pressures.

The fourth sentence suggests the funding may now be available.

Yet still no indication if you are in support of the project or not.

And there we have it. You couldn't give a toss about the WRC either way. Yet you posted about it throughout the day, criticising the former minister. With plenty of soundbites too.

There was mention of hurling from the ditch earlier in this thread. More like 'old man yells at cloud' if you ask me.

The rationale for turning down the project was outlined in the article which you provided. It's not very difficult to discern. The article was only 4 sentences long. The third sentence explains it.

The fourth sentence suggests the funding may now be available.

Cheers, gotcha.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    This government is not the same as the previous government. That is a simple fact.

Most of the commentary on this seem to gloss over the issue of the Irish government matching funding - this was not Varadkar refusing free money to spite the west of Ireland.

To be fair, it's gets confusing.
    I'm not from that part of the country. Noting he blocked any potential future applications for any EU funding for that region north of Limerick, viability of WRC aside. The point being the block may have dried up any chance of EU funding for any project in that region.
    Then we read government are looking to reverse that decision. Then were told it's not 'true' government and the distinction is made between members of government, even though they are all the one make up of government.
    Then we read Varadkar has plans to expand the transport infrastructure, when he's looking after welfare at the time mind. So as I say, it's not very clear cut but possibly designed so.

Cheers, gotcha.

I'm not from that part of the country. Noting he blocked any potential future applications for any EU funding for that region north of Limerick, viability of WRC aside. The point being the block may have dried up any chance of EU funding for any project in that region.
    Then we read government are looking to reverse that decision. Then were told it's not 'true' government and the distinction is made between members of government, even though they are all the one make up of government.
    Then we read Varadkar has plans to expand the transport infrastructure, when he's looking after welfare at the time mind. So as I say, it's not very clear cut but possibly designed so.

Your post is rambling and incoherent.

You are just taking any material you can find and using it to attack Varadkar without any rhyme or reason.

I am not from the West either, but I have sense to realise that the WRC is a complete waste of money.

Cheers, gotcha.

As has been explained repeatedly, he didn’t. That’s just shoddy journalism from the IT. But it suits your agenda so you’ll continue to spout something despite it having been repeatedly refuted. :rolleyes:

As for the “trying to reverse the decision” has the been anything from Govt 9 the matter?

The only comments I’ve ever seen have been from Sean Canney, speaking in his capacity as a TD, not a junior minister, and he’s been riding his WRC hobbyhorse for years so most people in the west now to pretty much ignore anything from him related to it at this stage.

blackwhite wrote: »
    As has been explained repeatedly, he didn’t. That’s just shoddy journalism from the IT. But it suits your agenda so you’ll continue to spout something despite it having been repeatedly refuted. :rolleyes:

As for the “trying to reverse the decision” has the been anything from Govt 9 the matter?

The only comments I’ve ever seen have been from Sean Canney, speaking in his capacity as a TD, not a junior minister, and he’s been riding his WRC hobbyhorse for years so most people in the west now to pretty much ignore anything from him related to it at this stage.

Hold on there a mo, I posted about the news story and commented on it. That's it.
    If folk feel the need to disect it over and over that's fine, but not my needing to be told the slant or take others have. Welcome, but not my need by any means. And it's true, it's not as big a story as Fine Gael's contractor of choice, being in the news again with the INM scandal. Political ramifications yet to be revealed I would guess.

it's not as big a story as Fine Gael's contractor of choice, being in the news again with the INM scandal. Political ramifications yet to be revealed I would guess.

Quick, look over there!

• Advertisement

Quick, look over there!

Not at all. If you read my post you'd understand, folk may feel the need to continue discussing it, I'm good thanks. I would be inclined to go with what was published in a number of publications. Regardless of how shoddy people think the journalism is or how government, but not really government TD's are ;)

Hold on there a mo, I posted about the news story and commented on it. That's it.
    If folk feel the need to disect it over and over that's fine, but not my needing to be told the slant or take others have. Welcome, but not my need by any means. And it's true, it's not as big a story as Fine Gael's contractor of choice, being in the news again with the INM scandal. Political ramifications yet to be revealed I would guess.

You tried the usual spin so get your daily fix of having a pop at FG - but picked a story you didn't have much clue around the facts of, and now that you've been called out for that the response is further spin, and a bit of deflection Not sure why I expected anything more substantial TBH

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Right, this thread has started to go downhill into trench warfare.

So everyone take a deep breath and go read the charter. If you're just here to take pucks out the other, this isn't the forum for you.

Serious, substantive posts please.

Don't say you haven't been warned.
    Seriously folks. This mod warning wasn't put up for the good of my health.
    We've had several warnings and people are still ignoring them. Cards have been handed out.

And more cards.

This thread will be closed if the sniping carries on.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0406/952590-live-register-at-lowest-level-since-july-2008-cso/

"In unadjusted terms, Live Register numbers have fallen by 34,836 (-13%) since March last year."

Quite a stunning performance over the last year.

Employment and living standards are rising, that is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0406/952590-live-register-at-lowest-level-since-july-2008-cso/

"In unadjusted terms, Live Register numbers have fallen by 34,836 (-13%) since March last year."

Quite a stunning performance over the last year.

Employment and living standards are rising, that is a good thing.

Yet we have a housing/homeless crises so far unsurpassed since records began, and it seems like only last week we were reading of hot meals having to be temporarily withheld from people (mostly pensioners) languishing on trolleys?

No excuse for it now with such high employment numbers.

Yet we have a housing/homeless crises so far unsurpassed since records began, and it seems like only last week we were reading of hot meals having to be temporarily withheld from people (mostly pensioners) languishing on trolleys?

No excuse for it now with such high employment numbers.

Something out of whack there for sure. It's like a play on the King Midas myth, the 'economy' barrels on to great heights, while more people live in misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Something out of whack there for sure. It's like a play on the King Midas myth, the 'economy' barrels on to great heights, while more people live in misery.

Leo said he had no problem describing the housing/homeless crises as 'national emergencies' (before we mention the travesty that is oaps rent/trolley issues) - yet some people are crowing on about how well employment figures are?

Something isn't adding up.

I know earlier people have been pointing at opposition in an attempt to foist the blame for the above mentioned crises, but surely that would mean people must equally attribute the employment figures to them also?

Surely people aren't selectively choosing what (good/bad) news story the govt of the day should take responsibility for, ditto the opposition :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

It's almost like trolley figures and live register numbers are not directly correlated or comparable.

Who'd have thunk it?

Leo said he had no problem describing the housing/homeless crises as 'national emergencies' (before we mention the travesty that is oaps rent/trolley issues) - yet some people are crowing on about how well employment figures are?

Something isn't adding up.

I know earlier people have been pointing at opposition in an attempt to foist the blame for the above mentioned crises, but surely that would mean people must equally attribute the employment figures to them also?

Surely people aren't selectively choosing what (good/bad) news story the govt of the day should take responsibility for, ditto the opposition :confused:

To take lead from Varadkar, some things are for discussing and others for shutting down.
    In the early days of 'Enda Kenny saves the world', we were told getting the economy back up first was the thing and then we'd tackle the other stuff. 'These things take time' and so on. This has moved on to 'sure it's worse elsewhere' and 'I'm terrible frustrated'. It seems he's doing much as leader as he did lowly minister when he'd blow hot about other departments and what he'd do, if only, if only he was put in charge. And here we are...all crises record breakingly worse. Not even a tap dance from poor aul' Roy Castle could save us. Leo's true to form to be fair and better the devil you know over the 'hurlers in the ditch' sure.

• Advertisement

It's almost like trolley figures and live register numbers are not directly correlated or comparable.

Who'd have thunk it?

It is more that people think we should be living in a utopia of some kind.

When people can't get a GP appointment for a week, suddenly we are the worst in the world but the wait under the NHS has gone out to six weeks yet it is supposed to be better.

I heard an interview with someone on the radio who turned up at A&E because they wanted an MRI on some non-emergency issue and complained about waiting for over a day.

There is a huge sense of entitlement - we should all have a house etc. - in Ireland. I asked earlier in a thread would people who are calling for action on homeless be satisfied if people were provided with bedsits with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. I got no answer to that, because people would have to admit they wanted more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement