Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo is the new king of Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Or is it Eoghan Murphy’s fault the 10,000 homeless people are in that situation?????

Why precisely are we paying him 160 k a year if it's not his job to deal with the homeless situation. If he is not up to the job he should do what Coveney did and slink away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Grow up, I have acknowledged it's an issue in Dublin bit also exist throughout the country to a lesser extent.

25 counties have 23% of homeless families and 25% of homeless children.
    1 county has 77% of homeless families and 75% of homeless children.

When you mean to a lesser extent do you actually mean by a large large margin to a lesser extent?

Why precisely are we paying him 160 k a year if it's not his job to deal with the homeless situation. If he is not up to the job he should do what Coveney did and slink away.

Do you want to answer my previous question?

Do you think he should be slopping out with a shovel and a hard hat building these things themselves?

As has already been mentioned, since the turn of the state social and local housing has been the responsibility of local authorities and councils. There are local elections next year, do you think DCC is doing a good job?

Or, are you obsessed about Eoin Murphy?

markodaly wrote:
    When you mean to a lesser extent do you actually mean by a large large margin to a lesser extent?

Population of Dublin is almost 30% of the overall population.

markodaly wrote:
    Or, are you obsessed about Eoin Murphy?

Just curious as to what he is being paid 160k for?

• Advertisement

Population of Dublin is almost 30% of the overall population.

More like 26% but whos paying attention to numbers in this argument.

Just curious as to what he is being paid 160k for?

Yes, obsessed.

markodaly wrote:
    More like 26% but whos paying attention to numbers in this argument.

I said almost.

markodaly wrote:
    Yes, obsessed.

So no answer to the question. If you can't address my comment why respond at all? Play the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, obsessed.

its a fair question. I am to believe, that if Varadkar, that absolute disgrace (the guy is a fraud), gave a sh*t about the situation, that he wouldnt bang heads together and sort it?

Its funny how during another crisis, the banking collapse, tens of billions could be come up with guaranteed, no obstacle couldnt be sorted, with breath taking speed.

Makes you wonder, doesnt it?

• Advertisement

So no answer to the question. If you can't address my comment why respond at all? Play the ball.

Yet, you ignored all the commentary about the DCC council and the huge homeless numbers pertaining to Dublin. Why is that?

markodaly wrote:
    Yet, you ignored all the commentary about the DCC council and the huge homeless numbers pertaining to Dublin. Why is that?

I asked a question you have decided to have a go at me instead of either offering an answer or ignoring the question . The above is more the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's par for the course to any query or criticism with a derailment towards another perceived side. You can't criticise the housing minister without being put in the position of defending councils. You can't criticise homeless figures without defending local councils. It's a rigged 'discussion'.
    FYI: all parties have local councilors, but only Fine Gael has a national housing minister. So unfortunately the housing minister will come up more often than say North Inner City Councillor Ciaran Cuffe of the Green Party, (they haven't gone away you know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You said it. You tell me. I never said that.
    No harm of you addressing my point I suppose.

I asked you what you thought about student accommodation. You answered with this:
    Depends on the rents. Where government, at national level, have it wrong is financing private builds with tax monies thinking a side effect might be more houses means less need, but if the prices are too high, not so.

I am therefore asking you about how the government is financing private builds of student accommodation with tax monies? You brought this point into a discussion on student accommodation. All I would like is elaboration.

Eoin Murphy minister for housing, what is he actually responsible for?It seems no criticism is allowed of him, so what is the point of his position?

I have criticised him on here for pretending that he could do more to solve the housing crisis when the biggest problem is Dublin City Council.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I asked you what you thought about student accommodation. You answered with this:

I am therefore asking you about how the government is financing private builds of student accommodation with tax monies? You brought this point into a discussion on student accommodation. All I would like is elaboration.

No. You gave a strawman. I declined to support a statement I never made.
    Again, I made no comment on the government financing private build student accommodation. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. You tell me? Not sure why you're asking.
    And no, we were discussing housing builds and you introduced a query directed at me specifically regarding student accommodation. My response was given.

I have criticised him on here for pretending that he could do more to solve the housing crisis when the biggest problem is Dublin City Council.

And the record numbers of child homeless, homeless and working tax payers reliant on state aid to make rent, thank you.

It's par for the course to any query or criticism with a derailment towards another perceived side. You can't criticise the housing minister without being put in the position of defending councils. You can't criticise homeless figures without defending local councils. It's a rigged 'discussion'.
    FYI: all parties have local councilors, but only Fine Gael has a national housing minister. So unfortunately the housing minister will come up more often than say North Inner City Councillor Ciaran Cuffe of the Green Party, (they haven't gone away you know).

The best way of dealing with situations like that is to focus on the facts. That is why I have given clear examples of the failures of Dublin City Council - Phibsboro LAP, St. Michael's regeneration, Tara Street etc. I could go on, there are plenty more. I have also contrasted their performance with that of Fingal County Council and asked why do Fingal appear to be doing a better job? Nobody has addressed that comparison. I also pointed to counties like Leitrim and Monaghan where there is barely a housing problem and certainly not a housing crisis.

Eoghan Murphy's policies and the government's policies are the same whether you are in Fingal, Monaghan, Leitrim or Dublin City. Why then is the situation in Dublin City so criticial? Is it because Dublin City Council have reduced the tax take from the LPT and have less money? Is it because they are incompetent?

If some counties have no problem - Leitrim and Monaghan - and other counties are getting to grips with their problem - Fingal - how come it is the Minister's fault when there is a crisis in Dublin City Council? At the very least DCC have at least as much blame as the Minister. If you believe that the Minister should resign/be fired, surely you should apply the same logic to DCC?

The discussion isn't rigged. It is just there are very serious questions about the performance of Dublin City Council that many posters are too afraid to address.

No. You gave a strawman. I declined to support a statement I never made.
    Again, I made no comment on the government financing private build student accommodation. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. You tell me? Not sure why you're asking.
    And no, we were discussing housing builds and you introduced a query directed at me specifically regarding student accommodation. My response was given.

This is absolutely bizarre. Here is my question:

"What is your position on the student accommodation issue? Private developers have come in from abroad and are now building student accommodation all over Dublin which will reduce the pressure on the apartment/house-sharing rental market. Do you think this is a good thing?"

Here is your answer:

"Depends on the rents. Where government, at national level, have it wrong is financing private builds with tax monies thinking a side effect might be more houses means less need, but if the prices are too high, not so."

You brought the issue of tax monies into private student accommodation, and the government financing those private builds with tax monies. I am asking again for an explanation. If you got it wrong, say so, but please don't pretend you didn't say it.

This is absolutely bizarre. Here is my question:

"What is your position on the student accommodation issue? Private developers have come in from abroad and are now building student accommodation all over Dublin which will reduce the pressure on the apartment/house-sharing rental market. Do you think this is a good thing?"

Here is your answer:

"Depends on the rents. Where government, at national level, have it wrong is financing private builds with tax monies thinking a side effect might be more houses means less need, but if the prices are too high, not so."

You brought the issue of tax monies into private student accommodation, and the government financing those private builds with tax monies. I am asking again for an explanation. If you got it wrong, say so, but please don't pretend you didn't say it.

No I did not.
    I utilised the 'full stop' or 'period'. Then I changed it back to national level.
    I went on in following posts to explain I was not talking about government funded private student accommodation but you keep pestering me on it. How many times do I need tell you, no, I didn't. Constantly claiming I did won't work. Let us leave that there.

By the way the whole regeneration process had funding from government. St. Michael's was recently pushed through, by council, despite government. And again here you have us playing sides. Nobody is blameless but trying to constantly drag the conversation away from government is transparent and tiresome.

Can you believe the government investing our tax money into a private landlord and then that landlord using a loophole to gouge the renting tax payer was the start of all this for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No, didn't say that at all, but that their record in NI

Can you remind me who the last SF minister for housing was?
    and their lack of workable solutions is nothing to write home about.

Perhaps they should try sitting on a park bench around Merrion Sq for 20 mins with some of them. :)

Well, it was they who stopped the building of social housing in the first place.
    Did you just use a "he started it" excuse? **cringe**

Dare I mention the words, 'Galway Tent'?
    I don't follow. What has a Galway Tent got to do with 2018 homeless figures and Murphys spinning?
    If FF wants an election in the morning, we would have it. They have the power to do that, but for some reason, they won't exercise it. Why is that?
    Why are you trying to turn this into a FF not wanting an election issue?

Is it not a fact that DCC is run by the coalition of SF and other left-wingers? I am just stating facts here.
    It is a fact, and it would appear they seem to be as useless as the Minister who is supposed to be overseeing them.

The buck stops there.

From the exact same report.

Spin is right, you just want to spin it all as negative like a true misery junkie. As I said, I believe we have turned a corner this year on housing and we will get a true picture by the end of the year.

I see what you did there..... why go with the facts and figures when it's what you believe is going to happen in the future that really counts.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    If you admit the Minister for Housing has no scope to solve the problem, why is he the main target for your ire?

You admit DCC, and LA's in general are to blame, but you won't criticise them. Why?

Did he not say pretty much the exact opposite of that :confused:

Can you remind me who the last SF minister for housing was?

Do you really want to go down this road? When was the last time SF had a minister in NI? This is not a winning argument for you. :P

Perhaps they should try sitting on a park bench around Merrion Sq for 20 mins with some of them. :)

And these workable solutions are....?

I don't follow. What has a Galway Tent got to do with 2018 homeless figures and Murphys spinning?
    History started in 2011 I suppose. Let's discount the previous housing crash that wiped away all the banks lending capacity and pretty much all the developers. One has no impact on the other, I suppose....:pac:
    Why are you trying to turn this into a FF not wanting an election issue?

Is it not self-evident. If FF thinks they can do a better job, then they can call an election tomorrow as it's in their power to do so. Yet, they don't. Why is that?

It is a fact, and it would appear they seem to be as useless as the Minister who is supposed to be overseeing them.

Clearly, you have no idea how the government or local government works. The DCC or any local authority is not answerable to the Dept of Housing. Eoin Murphy does not oversee them.
    why go with the facts and figures

Facts and figures that back up my statement, that Ronan Lyons agrees with, that there are 'green shoots' in regards housing numbers?

For those who want to revise history, the office for Minister for Housing has only existed since 2016. It was formed as to try and get to grips with the housing crisis as Local Authorities were at best did not have the resources or the expertise, and at worst were willfully incompetent in tackling the issues

There are local elections next year and I suggest you ask the hard questions to the local councilors.

markodaly wrote:
    For those who want to revise history, the office for Minister for Housing has only existed since 2016. It was formed as to try and get to grips with the housing crisis as Local Authorities were at best did not have the resources or the expertise, and at worst were willfully incompetent in tackling the issues

FG in government since 2011 but the housing crisis getting worse is everyone's fault but FG . Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

There are vacant houses all over the country but no one wants to live in them. The crisis is that too many people want to live in places where there aren't enough houses.

The most vexing thing is that people who have to pay for their own accommodation have to suck it up and live where they can afford to, no matter how far it is from work, friends and family while the people relying on the state for housing can pick and choose where they'll accept a free home.

Higher density housing is a possible solution but that will be objected to locally almost everywhere there is most need for housing and being realistic it will bring more social problems.

There's an expectation that everyone gets to live in a 3 bed semi 20 mins from their every need. It's just not realistic and in my opinion that expectation need to be cut out explicitly from state provision. Living off the state should be a lot less desirable than paying your own way. FG are a useless shower for letting this go on since 2011.

Do you really want to go down this road? When was the last time SF had a minister in NI? This is not a winning argument for you. :P
    I'm fully aware SF have had ministerial positions in the north, I'm just not aware if housing was one of their ministerial roles.

Maybe you should enlighten me.

And these workable solutions are....?
    Whoosh.
    History started in 2011 I suppose. Let's discount the previous housing crash that wiped away all the banks lending capacity and pretty much all the developers. One has no impact on the other, I suppose....:pac:
    That would be the same housing crash that FG cheered on, and called for a cut in stamp duty and tax relief?

Is it not self-evident. If FF thinks they can do a better job, then they can call an election tomorrow as it's in their power to do so. Yet, they don't. Why is that?
    It is not self evident in the context that you introduced the scenario in into ths thread.

Murphy spinning child homelessn numbers = Why don't FF call an election.

Clearly, you have no idea how the government or local government works. The DCC or any local authority is not answerable to the Dept of Housing. Eoin Murphy does not oversee them.
    Sounds like his role is just for opics so, , not even needed (if we follow your words)

But it doesn't read like that:
    2. INDEPENDENT STATUS OF LOCAL AUTHORITIES
    Local authorities are entirely independent corporate entities having full responsibility under
    law for the performance of their functions and the discharge of their governance and other
    responsibilities.

The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government has responsibility for policy, legislation, Oireachtas accountability and, at a broad level, oversight, in respect of the local government system and the Department has responsibility in relation to some but not all functions, services, etc., of local authorities.
    For example, the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government has responsibility at central government level for specific functional or service areas such as planning, housing and fire services

I said (and you selectively quoted me) that the buck stopped with him, it does.
    Facts and figures that back up my statement, that Ronan Lyons agrees with, that there are 'green shoots' in regards housing numbers?
    Forecasts trump raw data.

I've heard it all now.

Looks like they made up a role as nobody wanted the poisoned chalice that went before it (environment - community and Local govt)

FG had a poor record in that gig too.

2011, and it's still someone else's fault.
    There are local elections next year and I suggest you ask the hard questions to the local councilors.
    Sounds a bit like electioneering if you ask me, maybe you know something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

FG in government since 2011 but the housing crisis getting worse is everyone's fault but FG . Am I doing it right?

Not bad!
    Now if we could push our national debt out to 3000,000000 we could be living in paradise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,715 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nitrogan wrote:
    There's an expectation that everyone gets to live in a 3 bed semi 20 mins from their every need. It's just not realistic and in my opinion that expectation need to be cut out explicitly from state provision. Living off the state should be a lot less desirable than paying your own way. FG are a useless shower for letting this go on since 2011.

To be fair to fg, this isn't entirely their fault, but they've done well to fuel it, sadly we re now, more or less stuck with this complicated problem. What if you have, and continue to, work hard, and are still unable to buy your own home?

Nitrogan wrote: »
    There are vacant houses all over the country but no one wants to live in them. The crisis is that too many people want to live in places where there aren't enough houses.

The most vexing thing is that people who have to pay for their own accommodation have to suck it up and live where they can afford to, no matter how far it is from work, friends and family while the people relying on the state for housing can pick and choose where they'll accept a free home.

Higher density housing is a possible solution but that will be objected to locally almost everywhere there is most need for housing and being realistic it will bring more social problems.

True.

Even Leo would give out.

Criticism as Leo Varadkar opposes four-storey development in his constituency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Nimbyism wins votes with the yocalls everywhere. Independent TDs are in the Dail deciding the future of the country elected on nimby issues.

Fianna Fail have a huge open goal to aim at but they're too busy strategising their future Northern campaign to exploit the obvious culpability of FG and Independents for the ongoing problem of housing supply for workers in Irish cities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement