Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulk Texting

• 25-01-2018 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help.

I'm looking to buy a cheap phone to simply send bulk texts to people. I'm looking at the Alba 4 2017 in Argos but I'm concerned that I'll buy it and find it can't send bulk texts.

I've done a bit of googling but I'm finding it hard to find out. Anyone know if this phone has this facility? Or maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What sort of volume and frequency are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrsoft

What sort of volume and frequency are you talking about?

I'm thinking I might have up to 200 people on the group receiving 3/4 texts a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is Whatsapp an option? Group size of 256

GBX wrote: »
    Is Whatsapp an option? Group size of 256

I did consider that but could do without the hassle of watsapp. Its purely for information purposes only. Besides some of those in the group might not have the wherewithal to download such apps.

I suppose what I'm asking is what the group size for the phone above would be. It's the cheapest smartphone option I've seen.

I think the default android sms app has a limit of 10 in a group? That might be a carrier limit also? I am open to correction on newer versions of android.

If it's purely to send out sms messages, there are loads of group sms apps in the android app store. You send it to your group once and the app does the rest (to get around the SMS limit/restriction).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Have a look at these guys, might work out cheaper for you:
    https://www.clickatell.com/

EDIT: Haven't used in about 10 years, pricing is ridiculous.

Thanks for all the opinions.

I'm also considering the sim only option from Eir at €15pm. Unlimited texts. That seems like decent value.

48months.ie have a 10 EUR /month plan with unlimited texts, if sms is all you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

'Go Sms Pro' app

My GAA Club has a dedicated handset for sending out text messages.

We buy €20 per month Be Free Text plan from Three.

On the handset, we installed Go Sms Pro.

It takes about 7 minutes to send 250 messages, depending on the signal

If you are happy to have the app on your own phone, that's fine.

We replaced Clickatel as it cost about €2k per annum. Clickatel was great that it was web-based and anyone could log in.... but we couldn't justify €2k.

Now someone needs to control the club handset and we only pay €240.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Worth noting that if you're Vodafone, if you try to send a group SMS, it's converted to an MMS (and you're charged for it).

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Worth noting that if you're Vodafone, if you try to send a group SMS, it's converted to an MMS (and you're charged for it).

Ok I'm not sure if the Eir one does this. It was not mentioned to me when I was asking about it yesterday. Of course that means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mrsoft wrote: »
    Ok I'm not sure if the Eir one does this. It was not mentioned to me when I was asking about it yesterday. Of course that means nothing.

Could a service like Fishtext work - in which case all you need is a sim card?
    Do you need to read any replies?

edit: forget it, they charge!!!

Advertisement