Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking the door from our room in house share

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Why mention they aren't Irish ?

Ill extend the sentence - "Half are not Irish and therefore are not yet familiar with the processes of how the tax system works, or how to talk technical if the broadband went down or there was an issue with the bill in English correctly meaning there is no point in them currently phoning any Irish call centre as we really wouldn't get anywhere - been here 7 months, english is moderate but improving"

Hope that clears why I said they aren't Irish. and please let's not go further with my phrase "There are not Irish". There is no Malice intended, I was giving context.

I suppose to be politically correct I could have said

"They are not natively from Ireland, and their English is moderate and therefore they struggle with understanding Irish contact centre so I take the job to have the bills in my name"

Sorry for the hijack again - Just replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

People lock their doors in an hotel/B+B. FGS why would you NOT do this!

I must be very paranoid, but there is no way that my room in a house would be open to everyone else. That is what common areas are for surely?

Anyway, long past the sharing days, which I loved mostly! But never again will I allow my personal space be open for all and sundry.

Feck sake it is just sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

you should always lock your door that way there is no niggly thoughts I'm in a share mon to fri and everyone locks the door reason we all say if someone breaks in through your window it makes it harder to get into everyone else's rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

...__... wrote: »
    you should always lock your door that way there is no niggly thoughts I'm in a share mon to fri and everyone locks the door reason we all say if someone breaks in through your window it makes it harder to get into everyone else's rooms

tbh if someone broke a window to gain entry, they won't think twice about damaging an internal door to get further. that said in a house share think best to lock room door, but ensure an invitation is not made by leaving a window open or even or on a vent where a grip could be gotten to pry it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

1874 wrote: »
    tbh if someone broke a window to gain entry, they won't think twice about damaging an internal door to get further. that said in a house share think best to lock room door, but ensure an invitation is not made by leaving a window open or even or on a vent where a grip could be gotten to pry it open.

oh I know but anything to "slow down" entry is a bonus and it makes a good excuse for the op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

One reason I can think in favour of an unlocked door would be in the event of a fire breaking out inside a locked room. Something small and manageable could easily end up taking the entire house. I'd be pro locking the door though I wouldn't give it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I believe some houses don't even have keyed locks on bedroom doors, it depends on the usage, if for family with children or not, but I think a thumb turn on the room side of the lock would be safer than a keyed lock, there is no guarantee anyone would leave a key in the door for safety while in the room and if they did so it would more than likely prevent a second person such as a partner to get access on case the occupant was asleep.

Advertisement