Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet or Dry Flies for Trout?

Options
  • 25-01-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I am looking at taking up trout fly fishing this season so I was just wondering what is the best type of fly to use i.e. wet vs dry.

I want to get to a stage where I am fishing on the river but I think I will sticking to the stocked lakes until I get anyway comfortable at casting.

Also, apart from rod, reel, line and flies...is there any other essential gear that I should look at?

Thanks

JJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi all, I am looking at taking up trout fly fishing this season so I was just wondering what is the best type of fly to use i.e. wet vs dry.

I want to get to a stage where I am fishing on the river but I think I will sticking to the stocked lakes until I get anyway comfortable at casting.

Also, apart from rod, reel, line and flies...is there any other essential gear that I should look at?

Thanks

JJ

Tippet material, tapered leaders, are importantto improve the presentation of the fly and ensure a secure connection when you hook a fish. Tapered leader will turn over the fly and tippet better and reduce splashy casting. Tippet should be light enough to not spook the fish but strong enough to hold a fish - will vary depending on where you're fishing, what size fish, fly etc.
    A landing net so you can land fish quickly and safely.
    Wet gear/waders/fly vest.
    Camera/waterproof phone to record your catch so we believe you!

Also, welcome to fly fishing and the n+1 rule, where n+1 = the optimum number of fly rods you can own (n = the number you currently own) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

Thanks

JJ

Do at least one lesson. It will save you days and days of messing around not knowing what you're doing.

I have been at it less than 6 months and the best thing I have done is start fly tying. I'm stuck in a country where there's no fishing and the tying has given me so much more of an understanding of what the flys are and how they work. Can't wait to get back to Ireland and actually use them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jiminie Jaroo

Yes, definitely going to do a casting lesson.

I am in Dublin so was going to go somewhere like Annamoe for a one to one.

I personally don't like the idea of fishing in stocked lakes but I think it would be the best option for starting out.

Yes, definitely going to do a casting lesson.

I am in Dublin so was going to go somewhere like Annamoe for a one to one.

I personally don't like the idea of fishing in stocked lakes but I think it would be the best option for starting out.

I'd recommend heading up to Courtlough Trout Fishery. The lads are sound and do lessons.

I've never been to Annamoe so I don't know what that's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes, Garret in Courtlough supposed to be an excellent instructor. Great fishery too by all accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Jiminie Jaroo

Courtlough Trout Fishery.

I actually didn't know if Courtlough was still open. Their last Facebook post was back in 2013 and there is no mention of fishing on their website - only shooting.

The number on their Facebook is still current. Give them a call before heading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wouldn't be fixated on sticking with a stocked lake just because you are starting out. It is all about learning so head out to the river once the warmer months arrive and give it a try. Fast flowing water will reduce the impact of any casting that goes pear shaped and fast, deep water will hold nice fish. There will be also the trial and error of attempting to match the hatch during the evening rise.

It terms of wet vrs dry, wet fly fishing is going to be easier when starting out and you will most likely fish the wet flies blind into places which are likely to hold fish. Dry fly fishing will be less forgiving to novice casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You will need everything hank recommends below

A lesson with an instructor or a friend who knows what he is doing is essential. You need to be out fishing not watching youtube as helpful and all as it can be.

Dont listen to hank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I started myself recently.. have hours of youtube videos behind my belt... lol

Got some gear to start and just getting the taste... i didnt take lesson...but i can do simple roll cast and overhead cast.... for start that should be more then enough...

I am considering casting aid... as i often bend my wrist.... any experienced angler that used it before? Its basicaly a strap that holds the fly fishing rod against your hand without possibility to bend...

• Advertisement

Bikerguy wrote: »
    I started myself recently.. have hours youtube videos behind my belt... lol

Got some gear to start and just getting the taste... i didnt take lesson...but i can do simple roll cast and overhead cast.... for start that should be more then enough...

I am considering casting aid... as i often bend my wrist.... any experienced angler that used it before? Its basicaly a strap that holds the fly fishing rod against your hand without possibility to bend...

I always bend my wrist - no need to buy an aid - gimmick, - you will get the hang of it - a better thing to do is put something under your arm like a book - get into the water and dont lose the book.

If you want to really test yourself use your phone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

ardinn wrote: »
    I always bend my wrist - no need to buy an aid - gimmick, - you will get the hang of it - a better thing to do is put something under your arm like a book - get into the water and dont lose the book.

If you want to really test yourself use your phone :D

Lost one phone last season... trying to retrive a hook from a wee bush... hook 1euro -phone wss 2 days old 700e... it was gone..water damaged... anyway...will try the book trick and see...off fr9m work for whole week so plenty of time.

Hint: i am not fishing for fish atm..just practicing casting techniques as much as i can...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Lost one phone last season... trying to retrive a hook from a wee bush... hook 1euro -phone wss 2 days old 700e... it was gone..water damaged... anyway...will try the book trick and see...off fr9m work for whole week so plenty of time.

Hint: i am not fishing for fish atm..just practicing casting techniques as much as i can...

Thanks

The book was used years ago, luckily we don’t do things like that anymore, if you learn to cast with rigid form like that you’re severely limiting yourself.

Save on the gimmicks and get a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just remember with all this talk of books, phones, straps....the function of the cast is to get your fly line out on to the water, which will bring your flies with it, preferably without making to much noise on the surface. Now, that is achieved by flexing the fly rod, loading it with power as such, and propelling the line forward. Sounds all very complicated.

Take that fly rod without any line on it and tell a fella to flex it and he will no bother at all - without any book, iphone, mars bar, etc tucked under his arm. Put a fly line through the eyes, ask him to do the same thing and suddenly everything goes pear-shaped and fly line is caught behind his ear, between his legs, etc. There is no difference to what is going on, the concept is still to flex the rod, load it with power. Only this time there is a line on it which will be propelled forward through the rod action. .

The point I am making is you might well develop a casting technique that will have an expert sniggering. But just remember, once those flies are on the water, whether they reached the water on the back of €€'s lessons and a "proper" cast, or a self taught technique, you are angling.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    The book was used years ago, luckily we don’t do things like that anymore, if you learn to cast with rigid form like that you’re severely limiting yourself.

Save on the gimmicks and get a lesson.

I just wanted to see if he'd use the phone really :D - And the book isnt old - it does get you back on track when you start casting starts to look like your signalling to turn on a bike!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I always practiced with a 3 foot of wool as my leader. You don't need to be casting 40ft of line just start out with a length and a half of the rod and concentrate on getting the wool to lengthen as it lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

SeaFields wrote: »
    I wouldn't be fixated on sticking with a stocked lake just because you are starting out. It is all about learning so head out to the river once the warmer months arrive and give it a try. Fast flowing water will reduce the impact of any casting that goes pear shaped and fast, deep water will hold nice fish. There will be also the trial and error of attempting to match the hatch during the evening rise.

It terms of wet vrs dry, wet fly fishing is going to be easier when starting out and you will most likely fish the wet flies blind into places which are likely to hold fish. Dry fly fishing will be less forgiving to novice casting.

As Seafields says a river with fast flow and trout in it is an easier place to learn than a stocked lake. You'll only need to cast a couple of feet. I would suggest a bushy fly like an Elk Hair Caddis flicked into fast moving water is the single easiest way to catch a trout for a beginner. Are there any decent rivers/streams near you?

Advertisement