Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austria Snow

Options
  • 25-01-2018 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Just looking for some advice.

Having travelled to Mayrhofen in the past, we were keen to revisit this year. The issue is that we won't arrive until 25th March and are staying about 40min from Mayrhofen, closer to Innsbruck.

The 2 questions I have are

1. Will the snow be reasonable in the Zillertal valley area at that time of the year?

2. What other resorts within an hour or so of Mayrhofen or Innsbruck are worth visiting for a day or 2?

Family trip, mix of skiing/boarding and 1 beginner.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Havn’t been to mayrhofen so couldn’t say what the conditions would be like there but Solden and Ischgl are about an hour from Innsbruck and i’d expect both to have decent conditions at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

colly10 wrote: »
    Havn’t been to mayrhofen so couldn’t say what the conditions would be like there but Solden and Ischgl are about an hour from Innsbruck and i’d expect both to have decent conditions at that time.
    Excellent-thanks for that colly-As resorts, are Solden and Ischgl worth a day trip?

I have heard of both of them but have never been...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Going to Ischgl myself next week so for me it definitely would be. 235 km of piste, great lift system and snow record. Lifts are meant to be as good as anywhere once you get up there but if going, take the center gondola from the town, less busy than the other 2
    Fully connected to Samnaun (duty free town in Switzerland (would avoid myself if just doing a day). Town has a reputation for v wild apres starting later than most which can be good or bad depending on what you’re into.
    Nearly all of it is above 2000 so that helps when it comes to conditions along with a ton of snow making.

Solden has maybe just over 100km of piste. It does have 3 glaciers though if i remember right and one goes to about 3450 meters with another very close to that so you shouldn’t have problems with conditions.

St Anton is also near the 2 above but I couldn’t recommend one way or another cause I’ve never been or properly looked into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

1 no worse than anywhere in austria. Hintertux is a glacier and open all year sound. Ischgl as alternative stays open late by austrian standards.

2 there are a bunch of resorts in zilertal valley which would be much easier to visit for one day - kaltenbach / hochfugen, zilertal arena, hintertux. Buses and trains between. Ischgl is a class resort but not sure how far away. If visiting avoid weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

My advice would be to only go to high altitude resorts at that time of year. you should look up their snow records on line ref snow-forecast.com for that time of year specifically. Finally, check the forecasts forensically for the week to 10days before you leave & make your decisions armed with this info.

I'm curious though, if ye are beginners, assuming Mayerhofen had reasonable snow, why would ye want to go to different resorts for a day trip at all?!?

Driving in ski resorts& the mountains is a fraught l pain at the best of times. Ye are packing everybody into a car for several hours and going thru a lot of hassle for what exactly?!?

If it were me I'd pick /reserve the resort with the best snow & forecast 10 days before departure and stay there for the week and enjoy no driving for a week... Ahhh Bliss :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement