Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 i30 or 2012 Focus

• 25-01-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Changing car and looking to buy privately and 2 have caught my eye, both are diesel and imported (but already VRTd) and are around €9000.
    Looking for advise on reliability, fuel economy, comfort etc.
    I drive around 500 kms a week, around 2 hour daily commute to work.

The Focus is 2012, 1.6 TDCI zetec ecodrive, 44k miles, full service history.

The i30 is 2013(2), 1.6 CRDI style blue drive, 50k miles, full service history.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id have the i30 over the focus for reliability. The 1.6 CRDI is a very robust engine. The Ford/PSA engine isn’t the best. It’ll be the newer 8 valve version but I don’t think it would come close to the Hyundai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

A friend had both would you believe. Both 1.6 diesels, both 2013. His was the i30 the focus was his wife's.
    Was only talking to him the other night about them while driving somewhere in his focus. He had to get a people carrier (ford s max) for his young kids so one of the i30 or focus had to go.
    He said it was a no brainer the focus was a much better car. So his i30 was sold and he took the focus as his daily driver. Even though Ford out of warranty and Hyundai still in warranty.

Much more refined he reckons. Said the big factor was refinement at speed. Hyundai was very noisy at motorway speeds he said he had to turn up radio to hear it above the road and wind noise. I was in his focus as mentioned and didn't think the refinement was up to much so the Hyundai must have been very poor. He also said focus was more comfortable as I thought to myself I'm sitting ON these seats instead of IN them.
    But overall focus wasn't bad car to be in I'm just used to my old 5 series I guess.

Just an anecdote from a guy that had them both at same time if it's any use to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

The Hyundai would be more reliable. The Focus of that era are dirt, unlike the mark 1 focus. Ford have got it so wrong since. The injectors and dpfs plus the egr tend to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

sellasheep wrote: »
    The Hyundai would be more reliable. The Focus of that era are dirt, unlike the mark 1 focus. Ford have got it so wrong since. The injectors and dpfs plus the egr tend to go.

Have to say the newer Focus from 2011/12 is a very nice car and know a few people running them from new (with high miles) flawlessly.
    As an every day drivers car there is no question in my mind vs an I30 which is a notch below as regards refinement and driving pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2013 Focus would be the new 1.5 engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Craigconnor07

colm_mcm wrote: »
    2013 Focus would be the new 1.5 engine?

It’s a 2012 Focus, the i30 is 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.5 didn't appear in the Focus until 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

sellasheep wrote: »

Have to say the guy I mentioned above said both cars had been flawless since he bought them both new. So 5 years or so trouble free from a car described as dirt.
    He looked after them both well though, I think cars that are described as dirt are generally treated like dirt by their owners.

I've had about 10 cars in my life treated them all well and nothing went wrong with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I have drove a good few focus's and i30's over the last few years and in opinion the focus is a way nice car especially the titanium model.The are more comfortable,refined,quieter and better car for longer journeys.If you could stretch to a titanium model there's not many cars around in that category with the same level of spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 4pot

Did you go for one of these cars? Half interested in a 2013 Hyundai i30 deisel myself. Keen to hear from other owners

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

4pot wrote: »
    Did you go for one of these cars? Half interested in a 2013 Hyundai i30 deisel myself. Keen to hear from other owners

Thanks

i30 is less refined in meaning of tyre noise insulation than that era of focus. Wind noise is not an issue up to 120 km/h though. Can’t remember focus on that aspect but overall it was more refined as far as I remember.

I think both are good cars and I would pick one based on value and condition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see a lot of i30 owners changing tyres because of the noise. A new set of Continentals apparently makes a world of difference.

They might be reliable but they're not the most comfortable car. Maybe keep that in mind doing 500km a week.

Advertisement