Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER required on property sale?

Options
  • 25-01-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking at a property to buy.
    This property is not being sold by estate agent but by the owner directly.
    Is it a legal requirement for him to get a BER test completed prior to Sale ?

It would be good to have this info before i go back .

Also should he have to get a Radon test completed or is this not required?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

carq wrote: »

Yes, its a legal requirement. It must also be dated within the last 10 years.
    Your Solicitor will not allow the sale to go though without it as it would form part of the Legal Pack.

No, not required at all.
    If you are worried, you can place the radon detectors in your home for a number of months, which you then send back to the Company for testing to see if its high or normal.

http://www.radontesting.ie/

When was the house constructed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

In relation to the BER, unless it is exempt for the property, it is also a legal requirement for the BER to be included in the advertisement for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

kceire wrote: »
    Yes, its a legal requirement. It must also be dated within the last 10 years.
    Your Solicitor will not allow the sale to go though without it as it would form part of the Legal Pack.

No, not required at all.
    If you are worried, you can place the radon detectors in your home for a number of months, which you then send back to the Company for testing to see if its high or normal.

http://www.radontesting.ie/

When was the house constructed?

House is around 1990 build. Currently online without a BER.
    Owner is of older generation so would need to know where I stand legally before i make any demands

It is the proposed house i would be interested in the Radon Levels , so would not have luxury of 3 months. Will just have to risk it i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If Radon is a worry of yours have a look at the map that shows the average Radon concentration in your area. If it's not high, I wouldn't put that as top priority. I live in a hilly area that's just bordering a super low and a super high Radon zone.
    When you move in get Radon detectors in and go from there. To get this under control isn't costing you the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi

Looking at a property to buy.
    This property is not being sold by estate agent but by the owner directly.

It would be good to have this info before i go back .

While the BER is a legal requirement it won't tell you how much or little it'll cost to run the house, so essentially it's useless. You'll get a much better idea standing beside any opes while viewing and feeling for drafts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement