Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon WR attempt in London

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My understanding is that the mixed-gender rule only applies to World Records. Any PBs or national records are unaffected by the presence of men in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

seamus wrote: »
    My understanding is that the mixed-gender rule only applies to World Records. Any PBs or national records are unaffected by the presence of men in the race.

Yes there are discrepancies between the world and national records from a drug testing perspective to mix gender.

It's the same reason why There is a strong possibility that the American 60m record is soon to be faster than the world record.

I think this has also happened in the walks IIRC about 10-15 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Are they going to allow male pacemakers in the elite women's race? Or is Mary Keitany going to run in the Men's/mass-participation race? Or are they combining the starts this year?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hopefully it is male pacemakers in the womens race, otherwise it does nothing for improving the coverage of the womens race.

I guess shes targeting this in London because of the separate starts, and the presumably big paycheck potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Hopefully it is male pacemakers in the womens race, otherwise it does nothing for improving the coverage of the womens race.

I guess shes targeting this in London because of the separate starts, and the presumably big paycheck potential.

Anytime the Africans say they are going for a WR or are going to win, they usually drop out during the race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anytime the Africans say they are going for a WR or are going to win, they usually drop out during the race.

Which makes think it's a bit more serious of an attempt. If she wasn't convinced she was able for it then do it during Berlin, no extra coverage of the womens race, male pacemakers by default, drop out and nobody notices as the cameras are not following you anyway.

By doing it in London where the womens race gets dedicated coverage, and a smaller field, and they go to special measures to add in male pacers for you then it makes it a bigger deal if you don't make it. Added pressure as well, but you need to be very confident to put yourself out there for attempting it under those circumstances.

Advertisement