Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Clipless pedals and shoes in Dublin

Options
  • 25-01-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am looking to get my first pair of clipless road shoes. I am new to cycling and usually buy gear on the Chain reaction website, however for the shoes I would really like to try them on, and get the right pair etc. Can anyone advise of a shop in North Dublin that would be best. I have been to Halfords but they weren't much help. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Humphries in Finglas, Richies in Swords, 360 cycles in Clontarf. All well regarded on here and good customer service.

However, if you are going into any of these just to try them on and then buy online don't bother. They're independent shops and that's poor form.

Others will advise you better on which type. I use Look Keo pedals. Tried SPDs which are apparently nice and easy but I couldn't get the hang of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Whelcon

Thank you. I will be buying them in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I was in the same situation as yourself just after Christmas and popped in to Richies in Swords. The guy there couldn't have been more helpful and had me sorted in no time. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

Similar situation myself as OP. So, I went to one of the shops recommended above and got a set of Look Keo's. While I'm happy enough with the setup, I really didn't think through all the implications, particularly commuting, when this is my one and only bike. So, I'm now looking at these adapters, to allow a regular platform for ordinary shoes.

https://www.pedal-plate.cc

Has anyone got any experience with these, or a similar product?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

you can get dual sided pedals with a flat side for reg shoes and an SPD side for cleated shoes (SPD/MTB type) i use Shimano A530( i think?) on my commuter
    having said that i can't remember the last time i used reg shoes on the commute...
    plus for commuting i just use Lidl SPD shoes..twenty something euro so no big outlay initially

good luck with clipless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

devonp wrote: »
    you can get dual sided pedals with a flat side for reg shoes and an SPD side for cleated shoes (SPD/MTB type) i use Shimano A530( i think?) on my commuter
    having said that i can't remember the last time i used reg shoes on the commute...
    plus for commuting i just use Lidl SPD shoes..twenty something euro so no big outlay initially

good luck with clipless
    Yeah, probably should have gone with dual sided pedals, but I'm stuck with the Keos for now. I probably also need more practice with them, but I'm really not enjoying the commute experience so far. For less than €20 the pedal plate thing seems like a good idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

plodder wrote: »
    Yeah, probably should have gone with dual sided pedals, but I'm stuck with the Keos for now. I probably also need more practice with them, but I'm really not enjoying the commute experience so far. For less than €20 the pedal plate thing seems like a good idea...

It does take a bit of getting used to for commuting alright but once the confidence levels grow you'll find them a lot better, you'll be track standing at every set of lights in no time :)

Advertisement